aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

Not really, because, as noted, someone who will be taking a percentage of the personal profits (not necessarily a "cut", from the investor's point of view) has an interest in those personal profits actually being made. Or the guy might have already made his money from charging for the advice in the first place. Whereas a bank has an interest in getting a customer to tie up the money for as long as possible, and/or to invest it in vehicles for which the bank can charge management fees, and so on.  

But both take a cut and both have agendas.

Not necessarily: if the financial company is paying the percentage, and it's a percentage of gains from fixed rate of interest, I wouldn't agree that's a cut. And if someone is simply charging for advice and not taking a cut, he's not taking a cut. Conversely, the bank, and certainly not the advisor, need not be taking a "cut" to make it problematic; and it is in fact the lack of a "cut" which makes it superficially attractive to small investors. Again, a bank's interest will often be simply to maximise the amount invested and the length of time invested.

But the point was that the cut-taking independent's interests align with the investor's: direct profits for the investor. Indie advisors have also been shown to be more upfront about their agendas, as it happens.

Not necessarily: if the financial company is paying the percentage, and it's a percentage of gains from fixed rate of interest, I wouldn't agree that's a cut. And if someone is simply charging for advice and not taking a cut, he's not taking a cut. Conversely, the bank, and certainly not the advisor, need not be taking a "cut" to make it problematic; and it is in fact the lack of a "cut" which makes it superficially attractive to small investors. Again, a bank's interest will often be simply to maximise the amount invested and the length of time invested.

But the point was that the cut-taking independent's interests align with the investor's: direct profits for the investor. Indie advisors have also been shown to be more upfront about their agendas, as it happens.

If some of the money is not ending up in your hands for whatever reason, it's a cut in my opinion.

Regardless of semantics, both are driven by agendas.

Maybe so, but the point is that there is (much more likely to be) a conflict of interests (or "agendas") when taking advice form a bank. 

But there's still an agenda. It doesn't matter how big or if it's a conflict, it's still an agenda. It's like saying someone is a little bit racist, they're still racist.

I'm not talking about mortgage advice in schools, I'm talking about very, seemingly, straightforward things: What's a bank account? What's a savings account? What's an ISA? What's a credit card and what are the risks of spending on one?

Yeah, this should be incorporated into some sort of "life skills" class that everyone has to do.

But there's still an agenda. It doesn't matter how big or if it's a conflict, it's still an agenda. It's like saying someone is a little bit racist, they're still racist.

So what if there's an agenda, per se? It does matter if there's a conflict of interests - it's crucial to the point I was making, which is apparently "moot".

Also this fits in right beside savings accounts and ISA IMO; Spoony's ISA is a stock/shares one, e.g. 

Interesting chat on financial education and the benefits/drawbacks to banks of it. RBS used to have a programme called Moneysense where they sent people out to schools to speak to pupils about the basic products and about managing your money right. I went and observed some sessions and they were really good; just the kind of thing that I think is missing. Of course, everything was branded RBS, so there's an element of creating brand identity and loyalty which could be seen as deceitful, but in my view the end justified the means. The sessions were interactive and the kids really seemed to respond to it. Unfortunately, as with so many things, it was disbanded, presumably due to cost. It's still available for teachers to access so if you are/know a teacher who might be interested, pass it on: http://www.moneysense.rbs.co.uk/schools/resources/

There is currently a definite move in high street banking to a more customer-focussed approach, with removal of teaser rates, simplified product ranges and more holistic customer reviews, with a clear focus on making sure that any products which are taken by customers are the right thing for them, and that the bank can clearly show that the customer knew what they were taking and that it was the right thing for their circumstances. I suppose the thing that is disappointing about it is that these sort of shifts only come as a reaction to bad press and a loss of trust (things like the PPI scandal and obviously the financial crisis of 2008). There's also still a long way to go, but it's a start at least. The VAST majority of people who work in financial retail services who I speak to are the kind of good people who genuinely want what's best for their customers, to help them get along in life. Sadly, the whole industry has suffered from poor decision making at the top, short-termism and ill-concieved bonus structures and so its reputation is in tatters. That takes a long time to rebuild. 

Last year all they did was give iTunes vouchers with purchases on Black Friday - I think I got $40 for buying an Ipad mini.

It's not just direct that do it though, re-sellers like John Lewis do stuff too. Anyway, $40 to send in the itunes store is better than not getting $40 to spend in the itunes store.

Where in Aberdeen city centre am I best to purchase a bathroom basin?

A wash basin?  As in the plumbed in thing you wash your hands/face in?  Not had dealings with any of them so can't comment on who's best but

City Plumbing Supplies on Causewayend?

Bath Store on Hardgate just south of Great Southern Road?

1st Choice Kitchens and Bathrooms on South College Street (Arches)?

Alternatively I could give you a lift to B&Q/Homebase/whatever.  Can't imagine it being super light and easy to carry on foot.

Where in Aberdeen city centre am I best to purchase a bathroom basin?

B&Q have a pretty decent budget range that I bought for fitting out the bathroom in my house a couple of years ago. I was pleased with it until my ex-girlfriend broke up with me and got to keep the shiny new bathroom. I do not know how it is faring now, but I presume still a'right.

(It all worked out for the best, if anyone's interested.)

• 2 weeks later...