aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

Your photo and possibly more detail if you try to keep your CV down to a couple of A4 pages. It might give a broader picture of what you're like as a person and an employee.

Also endorsements from former colleagues and a possible idea of how 'well connected' you are in terms of other people in the industry (if this is important for the job, I guess).

What would you consider your budget to be? Both the budget stand-alone types and the ones that have built in pre-amps and plug directly into your stereos AUX inputs, in my experience, sound awful. Worse than tapes. Hissy on the highs and farty on the lows, making it redundant spending money on LP's for them to sound like arse. Not worth looking at.

This is a very good 'entry level' turntable. I still have mine and have no need to upgrade. Sounds great. By 'entry level' I think they mean 'This one costs £150, so it's pretty good, but you can also buy turntables for £5,000, which will sound marginally better to those with supersonic hearing'

http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct/PROJ-ESSENTIAL-BLK/Project+Essential+Blk.html

You'll need an amp for it though, but you can get a second hand hi-fi amp from Ebay for a good price, so long as it has a phono stage. Most of the older ones do. You can probably get a decent Marantz, Denon or Yahama amp for less than £100 on the bay. Something like this would be decent:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Marantz-PM-45-Integrated-Amplifier-Amp-Working-well-/200883590824?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item2ec59856a8

Do you already have speakers? The quality of the speakers make a huge difference. When I upgraded from some standard Panasonic mini system speakers to a pair of Mordaunt Shorts, the difference was incredible. My Mordaunt Shorts were only £50 on Ebay too. Theres bargains to be had on Hi-Fi gear on ebay. Everyones getting rid of their systems, because it's all iPods and Dr Dre Beats now. Get your swag on.

• Upvote 1

I've got a Rega P1, which I really like. The RP1 is the updated version:

http://www.rega.co.uk/html/RP1.htm

It's remarkably basic (you change speeds by moving a rubber band a bit) but sounds very good, at least with a reasonable amp etc. I think they sell for around £200 but they might be available for less on Ebay. It's also upgradeable, which I've not done yet but might be tempted by.

• Upvote 1

Cold turkey, it's the only way. Try and find a sport or something you enjoy to give you something that will naturally replace the high from nicotine and try and drink less for the first couple of weeks to reduce the temptation.

This. I also think you have to really want to stop. It was seriously affecting my fitness for rugger and soccer, particularly when I was trying to get back from an injury, and my lungs were feeling completely cut up after any form of exercise (even shagging). I really didn't find it hard this time and I've not had anything in over six months bar a couple of jays and 1/4 of a Richmond Blue at Hogmanay (I found it horrible, so left the other 3/4).

CSB

• Upvote 1

I'm three weeks into quitting, I've had a cuple of blips, both times while drinking on a Friday night, but I don't feel too bad about that as I've been completely off them the rest of the time and I've proved if I can go 7 days without a single one then I have it in me to go without. I do feel better for it.

Odd side question - did this happen to anyone else?

http://www.quitsmokingmessageboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23387

I'm fucking rotten. Every night my whole living room smells like an intestine. I've never farted so much in my life and every one is a room-clearer.

Given the amount of music I listen to, it's ridiculous that I haven't developed a vinyl habit yet.

Can anybody recommend a record player that will sound pretty good and won't cost an arm and a leg?

i have two belt driven turntables for sale. cheapcheap. there's a thread on here about them. Numark TT1610 I think.

Back to LinkedIn I got an approach this week through it which basically offered me my old job back (the one I was made redundant from two years ago after the company that took over the contract moved applications support to India). Nice to know offshoring the work went as well as we thought it would.

• Upvote 1

on the subject or record players, is this any good? I want to be able to listen to the records, but then also put them on my iphone for out and about days.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/ion-profile-lp-usb-turntable-03635617-pdt.html

or is there such a thing like that that has speakers built in for cheapcheap?

I had the same brand as above, but a different model. Putting them to MP3 was a hassle, and it seemed so much quicker to download them, guilt free, as I'd already bought the record. Most records comes with codes nowadays too. I don't know how fussy you are about sound, but as I said previously, I find turntables with built in preamps sound pretty bad. I personally wouldn't bother with the USB ones.

I had the same brand as above, but a different model. Putting them to MP3 was a hassle, and it seemed so much quicker to download them, guilt free, as I'd already bought the record. Most records comes with codes nowadays too. I don't know how fussy you are about sound, but as I said previously, I find turntables with built in preamps sound pretty bad. I personally wouldn't bother with the USB ones.

cheers. If I sell one turntable I might keep the other and get an amp/speakers then. then upgrade the turntable in time.

i need to get to Faulds Wynd in kincorth. really not familiar with that part of town.

anyone know what bus i can get there?

i stay in bod so would probably need the 2 to town then another? or i could walk to bus stop for no1 if it would go direct there?

The 17 or the 17A will take you there from outside McDonalds on Union Street. It goes up Provost Watt drive and on to Faulds Gate, get off as soon as it turns right on to Faulds Gate and you're only 2 minutes away.

/INB4COOLTHINKER