aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

I just meant running the wires up the corner and sticking the wee speakers on the wall up high, not a crazy in built thing. I just like it to look neat - I hate having wires everywhere so if there was a 2.1 system that did the job just as well, I'd go for that.

Money-wise I'm kinda open to spending a fair bit if its worth it. I don't really know how much quality I can get for what price. Is 300 quid enough for something worthwhile?

Sony HT-CT260 is a good soundbar. Most manufacturers that have a good pedigree in Audio technology (avoid LG and Samsung) make decent options for that price so you'll get something good. The best advice i can give is to go and listen to a few things with something familiar. I'd suggest taking a DVD or Blu Ray with a decent surround sound track on it so you can hear if a 2.1 system or soundbar can seperate the sounds enough for you. I'd also take along some music with you (maybe on a usb drive or iphone/phone) so you can hear how it deals with stereo. If the shop has an aerial set-up ask to hear a normal TV signal through it (same reason as music) as you'll be using it most for that more than likely.

Any retailer worth their salt will allow you to use your own material, alarm bells should be ringing if they don't. Your ears are the best judge for what will work for you and you need something you can recognise to judge that properly.

Sony HT-CT260 is a good soundbar. Most manufacturers that have a good pedigree in Audio technology (avoid LG and Samsung) make decent options for that price so you'll get something good. The best advice i can give is to go and listen to a few things with something familiar. I'd suggest taking a DVD or Blu Ray with a decent surround sound track on it so you can hear if a 2.1 system or soundbar can seperate the sounds enough for you. I'd also take along some music with you (maybe on a usb drive or iphone/phone) so you can hear how it deals with stereo. If the shop has an aerial set-up ask to hear a normal TV signal through it (same reason as music) as you'll be using it most for that more than likely.

Any retailer worth their salt will allow you to use your own material, alarm bells should be ringing if they don't. Your ears are the best judge for what will work for you and you need something you can recognise to judge that properly.

Cheers for the advice. Would you advise getting 5.1 over 2.1? I mean obviously u would but would I be making a big mistake for vanity purposes and should really just go for a 5 speaker set up?

Cheers for the advice. Would you advise getting 5.1 over 2.1? I mean obviously u would but would I be making a big mistake for vanity purposes and should really just go for a 5 speaker set up?

You could get a passable 5.1 for a similar budget but in my opinion you'd be better upping that budget by another £300-£400 to get a proper 5.1 set up with a dedicated amp and better speakers which will give you longevity and flexibilty as technology changes. My amp is 5 years old and still well specced, the only downside is the lack of 3d passthrough and the fact it's only got 2 HDMI ins, but it still blows the cheap 5.1 systems straight out of the water for sound quality and coupled with a set of Bose AM6s i've never been disappointed with what it does. You do get what you pay for really.

Avoid ones with integrated players like the plague.

You could get a passable 5.1 for a similar budget but in my opinion you'd be better upping that budget by another £300-£400 to get a proper 5.1 set up with a dedicated amp and better speakers which will give you longevity and flexibilty as technology changes. My amp is 5 years old and still well specced, the only downside is the lack of 3d passthrough and the fact it's only got 2 HDMI ins, but it still blows the cheap 5.1 systems straight out of the water for sound quality and coupled with a set of Bose AM6s i've never been disappointed with what it does. You do get what you pay for really.

Avoid ones with integrated players like the plague.

Could you recommend a set up based on this? Sorry, this is stretching the term 'quick question' but its greatly appreciated

Onkyo TX-NR616 or Onkyo TX-NR515 for the amp (around £299ish for 515, £349ish for 616).

Tannoy HTS101 £350ish

The output of both amps is more than the general wattage of the speakers but at the volume you're likely to listen to them at in the flat it wouldn't be a problem.

Nice one. It looks like all are cheaper in dollars so not hugely over what I had originally intended on spending. Thanks again A/Vkaline - You've been a lot of help.

• Upvote 1

Does an amp like that also have phono input? I've been semi-interested in getting a surround sound set up, but also hoped it could just be an all-in-one audio hub so I could plug a record player and auxiliary input into it. Would such a thing be possible?

Not usually but you could buy a separate phono-stage.

Was the "Chris or Dave Officer" who just had a question read out on Stargazing Live the same one who posts here?

Yes. Bizarrely it wasn't actually a question, they just picked up on a conversation between Dave and myself after last night's episode. Because Dave had hashtagged his initial post which I replied to they must have read the whole conversation.

And then you get a tweet from Dara. You're just showing off now.

I'm nerding out.

Picked up a few twitter followers after all that all because I spent 10 minutes talking crap about the universe last night. Boy are they going to be disappointed when instead of that they see my shite tweets about food, the IT profession and music.

Onkyo TX-NR616 or Onkyo TX-NR515 for the amp (around £299ish for 515, £349ish for 616).

Tannoy HTS101 £350ish

The output of both amps is more than the general wattage of the speakers but at the volume you're likely to listen to them at in the flat it wouldn't be a problem.

So it turns out you can't get the tannoy system in the US. At least not on amazon or any local dealers. Frowny face. Shame coz looking at reviews it seems to be the balls in its price bracket

Guest Cool Thinker
I am an avid fan of Cool Thinker's Annoucements. Surely he doesn't know that today is the birthday of Lucky Rathen and Shaki. Otherwise there would be a splash from Mr Cool.

I am only available Friday Night - Monday.

There was a new titty bar that opened a couple of months ago in Bridge Street a couple of months agonwith a big weird head sticking out of it. The big weird head is gone now, anyone know why.?
i don't know why, but strangely enough it got renamed "Mask" after they got rid of the big weird mask.

Guest Cool Thinker
There was a new titty bar that opened a couple of months ago in Bridge Street a couple of months agonwith a big weird head sticking out of it. The big weird head is gone now, anyone know why.?

Probably scared people off.