aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

I've asked this many times before, and this isn't the right place, but i'm hoping this will be quick:

Can you plug an amp head in to a combo speaker?

I'm looking to get a bass head after xmas. hopefully. finally. But most aberdeen venues don't have bass cabs, just combos. And until I reach the heights of Lockah i'll be stuck playing in Aberdeen for a while. I want it to be a worthwhile purchase but if not I'll just leave it until I can also afford a cab and a car to transport it.

Cheers.

Just to clarify, I CAN plug a bass head in to the cab of a combo which already has a built in head of sorts?

Depends on the combo, specifically how the speaker is wired to amp.  If it's hard wired then that's not so easy.  If it's plugged into an output on the amp section of the combo then you could, but you might need to rig up a plug > socket lead (i.e. an extension) as the pre-existing cable will likely be rather short.

• Upvote 1

yep neepheid is correct.

Usually in an head/ cab situation you have a heavy duty 1/4" jack to 1/4" jack cable to connect your cab and head. With a combo you will more than likely have a cable soldered to your combo speaker with a 1/4" jack plug on the end. What you need is a 1/4" (or as maplin refer to it a 6.35mm) mono line socket connector. With half a heavy duty 1/4" plug to plug cable cut and soldered to the in line socket you can have an extention and connect you head to the combo without modifying any of your combo...

If the solution sounds like what you are looking for I can message you the parts you would need from the likes of Maplin.

yep neepheid is correct.

Usually in an head/ cab situation you have a heavy duty 1/4" jack to 1/4" jack cable to connect your cab and head. With a combo you will more than likely have a cable soldered to your combo speaker with a 1/4" jack plug on the end. What you need is a 1/4" (or as maplin refer to it a 6.35mm) mono line socket connector. With half a heavy duty 1/4" plug to plug cable cut and soldered to the in line socket you can have an extention and connect you head to the combo without modifying any of your combo...

If the solution sounds like what you are looking for I can message you the parts you would need from the likes of Maplin.

I don't think tunnels would like me taking apart their combo wiring haha. cheers anyway.

I don't think tunnels would like me taking apart their combo wiring haha. cheers anyway.

The Tunnels have an Ashdown combo as their house amp, looks like this from behind (note the tiny jack lead from head to cab):

ashdown-mag-c410t-300-combo-7730.jpg

Providing the ohm rating of your head likes the speaker then you'd just need one of these, I think, to plug into the output of your head:

SA-HPE25-2.jpg

I can confirm a similar set up in Drummonds (where they use an old combo as a cab for a new head they have anyway), although it is a Trace Elliot combination.

• Upvote 1

The Tunnels have an Ashdown combo as their house amp, looks like this from behind (note the tiny jack lead from head to cab):

ashdown-mag-c410t-300-combo-7730.jpg

Providing the ohm rating of your head likes the speaker then you'd just need one of these, I think, to plug into the output of your head:

SA-HPE25-2.jpg

I can confirm a similar set up in Drummonds (where they use an old combo as a cab for a new head they have anyway), although it is a Trace Elliot combination.

Cheers.

Thanks to everyone. But this was the most straight forward of answers. That's all I needed to know as it was the combos at tunnels/drummonds I was worried about most. Cheers.

So, is there like, zero chance of getting a new Xbox before Christmas?

I don't think I've ever pre-ordered anything in my life. I got a 360 pretty easily after it was released, so I figured it'd be easy to get one for the missus for Xmas. Lots of places have no idea when they'll be back in stock. Lots of places still offering pre-order too, but said I might be waiting until FEBRUARY.

So, is there like, zero chance of getting a new Xbox before Christmas?

I don't think I've ever pre-ordered anything in my life. I got a 360 pretty easily after it was released, so I figured it'd be easy to get one for the missus for Xmas. Lots of places have no idea when they'll be back in stock. Lots of places still offering pre-order too, but said I might be waiting until FEBRUARY.

We pre-ordered (a bit later than everyone else) and not getting it until 27th December :(