aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

I think that story may be a bit of bluster.

If you like coding, I would start by getting some books C and working through them, you don't really need much to be able to code, and compilers are easy enough to come by, have a look for notepad++ which is better for coding than the standard notepad on Windows.

Once you've got the hang of things, start getting creative in what you want to code, the chances are that someone out there has tried to do it before, so the knowledge if you get stuck is out there. From there you can start looking at programs you use and seeing if you can do similar work. just remember to document the code and keep hold of it as a sort of portfolio.

Her words but hack may not be the right term or word she had acess to it all so must of been able to alter it.

IF she did do what she says she did, not only would it be stealing from the company, it would also be fraud.

I find programming fun but frustrating when you have 4 pages of code try it to find out theirs a syntax error

Bet it's a missing semicolon, it's always a missing semicolon

Edited by MattJimF
  • Upvote 1

Ok who here works in I.T? Today i was at a lecture at RGU about careers in computing the one thing i took note of most is " you dont have to have a computing background to work in I.T" i meen there was a guy there with no qualifocations he done a 3 week course (he was that good at it) now he works for talisman energy as a I.T security advisor of some sort earning too much money. If anyone in here is in I.T whats your advise?

Please tell me all the problems with grammar, spelling and punctuation in this are just consequences of lazy internet typing and not concentrating properly? If so please try and avoid this in the future for my benefit as that was a pain to read. If not my advice would be to do something that doesn't involve much writing.

Please tell me all the problems with grammar, spelling and punctuation in this are just consequences of lazy internet typing and not concentrating properly? If so please try and avoid this in the future for my benefit as that was a pain to read. If not my advice would be to do something that doesn't involve much writing.

its usually a mistake like when i Dimension a variable and accidently spell it wrong it fucks up the whole thing as is spells the variable that way every time or when your extending the code and miss out spaces or just the simple one like not giving it a capital or naming your command button the wrong name

Crikey YoungA, everyone in your life is a total badass.

Ever consider a career as a wallet inspector?

i think i would prefer to work for the 

Federal

Boob

Inspectors.....

• Upvote 2

its usually a mistake like when i Dimension a variable and accidently spell it wrong it fucks up the whole thing as is spells the variable that way every time or when your extending the code and miss out spaces or just the simple one like not giving it a capital or naming your command button the wrong name

I wasn't talking about your code. I was referring to the post I quoted.

It's possible to work in IT and not have a technical background or IT qualifications.  Generally it would help to have some interest, for your own sanity really.  But there's plenty of people, mostly in support rather than development, that aren't very technical and don't have a major interest in coding, hardware or networks.  If you start on the bottom rung, answering phones on a service desk it's essentially just another customer service job.  From there you can progress to 2nd and 3rd line roles and into management. 3rd line without being technical is a bit tricky but I have worked with other applications engineers who weren't technical in 3rd line roles and they concentrated more on the business side of the role and good knowledge basing helped them with the technical aspects.

Your biggest problem will be getting that bottom rung position in the first place.  Competing against people straight out of college or uni, with IT related qualifications and an interest in the subject then why would you get hired?

It's possible to work in IT and not have a technical background or IT qualifications.  Generally it would help to have some interest, for your own sanity really.  But there's plenty of people, mostly in support rather than development, that aren't very technical and don't have a major interest in coding, hardware or networks.  If you start on the bottom rung, answering phones on a service desk it's essentially just another customer service job.  From there you can progress to 2nd and 3rd line roles and into management. 3rd line without being technical is a bit tricky but I have worked with other applications engineers who weren't technical in 3rd line roles and they concentrated more on the business side of the role and good knowledge basing helped them with the technical aspects.

Your biggest problem will be getting that bottom rung position in the first place.  Competing against people straight out of college or uni, with IT related qualifications and an interest in the subject then why would you get hired?

THATS his biggest problem? Other than requiring his whole life to be mapped out with assistance from an online forum?

well the lecture i was at 40% of the people there had no previous IT background and have a pretty successful job was pretty astonishing how so many backgrounds can be transferred to IT. there was about 2 of them that were support but pretty high up. ill admit the guy from BT deserved a smack for saying "BT is one of the most successful telecommunication companies with millions of happy customers" the guy couldn't speak anymore shit.

in reply to getting a job they advised if you do some sort of IT course at uni i get paid work experience. this is a success as 70% of the students actually ended up with that job for that company as they were called back after they finished their courses so it seems a pretty good idea but i really need to get stuck in at computing.

"BT is one of the most successful telecommunication companies with millions of happy customers" the guy couldn't speak anymore shit.

What about that is wrong? BT are huge. BT have millions of customers, a lot of which stay with BT for many years, if not their whole life, presumably happy with the service.

BT make unthinkable amounts of money.

yous may have a good service with them mine is f**king terrible

What is wrong with your service? Have you done anything to sort it? Ive had BT broadband for the past 10 years, i can probably count on one hand the number of times it has gone down. 

Their hubs can be a different story at times. 

Infact, why the hell did i unblock you. 

I rank their customer service up there with Yodel, but their actual service is very good. 

That's because they pretty much own the whole telephone infrastructure. Anything that goes wrong from the socket to the exchange, if you are with BT gets sorted quickly, if you are with another company it can take ages, as they have to go to BT to get it sorted, and that only covers anything the company doesn't own. Use Sky or TalkTalk for phone and broadband, if the fault is at the exchange BT will do nothing until it's been proven that the Sky/TalkTalk equipment has been checked.

Not to mention the absolute shambles that is the FTTC where you have exchanges in the middle of cities not being equipped due to no demand, because the majority of connections are businesses that have leased lines, despite residential properties being supplied from the same exchange. 

That's because they pretty much own the whole telephone infrastructure. Anything that goes wrong from the socket to the exchange, if you are with BT gets sorted quickly, if you are with another company it can take ages, as they have to go to BT to get it sorted, and that only covers anything the company doesn't own. Use Sky or TalkTalk for phone and broadband, if the fault is at the exchange BT will do nothing until it's been proven that the Sky/TalkTalk equipment has been checked.

Not to mention the absolute shambles that is the FTTC where you have exchanges in the middle of cities not being equipped due to no demand, because the majority of connections are businesses that have leased lines, despite residential properties being supplied from the same exchange. 

You would be amazed how often the Sky or TalkTalk equipment is to blame, its the vein of my old mans working life, the shoddy equipment these companies use that he has to help them fix every day and the absolute morons they employ to fix their equipment.

Edited by The Milner