aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Guest Gladstone

I was never one of the Celtic supporters calling for Strachan's head. The mindset of those morons ultimately led to Strachan leaving. The football wasn't pretty at times under Strachan, and it had gone a bit stale by the time he left, but the last 16 twice and 2 out of 3 titles is not to be sniffed at.

I always thought Mowbray was going to be a good appointment, but that really didn't work out. I think Lennon is a stronger personality than Mowbray, and given his 8 out of 8 wins in the SPL last season was our only viable option. We don't have a shitload of cash to waste on another Tony Mowbray, so in the circumstances, given that Rangers are probably going to be a shadow of a team this season, it's the right time to give Lennon a go. I think he's got what it takes to be a good manager, and he should be able to guide the team he has to SPL success. It's a shame that that European tie had to come so soon in his first full season as manager, but it's all experience. Remember Strachan's first competitive game? 5-0 humping from Artmedia. He also got stuffed out the Scottish Cup by Clyde.

If Lennon wins the league this season, everyone will be happy. Whether that's the right attitude or not, I'm not sure.

It seems that no one has noticed that Celtic were playing against a good team. Braga are no slouches, especially at home where they only conceded 7 goals during last season, and while coming 2nd in the Portuguese Superliga isn't going to set Europe alight with excitement, neither is coming 2nd in the SPL.

I thought Braga were Danish.

No real shame in Celtic getting twatted last night. Braga are a good side.

Now I've re-read the last page or so, I realise that's already been said. Still, they'll probably scrape a draw at home. Braga won't win because it's one of those 'Magical European Nights at Anfie...Parkhead' as ITV would have you believe.

Club bellend more like.

I think he probably should be a club legend. His overall attitude, demeanour and incidents such as this

Rangers star Kyle Lafferty parks his Bentley in a disabled space | The Sun |Home Scotland|Scottish News

surely show that he has more in common with your average Rangers supporter than anyone else who has ever played for the club. Of course the fans will think he's a legend.

Stop being pedantic, reserve team experience is hardly managerial experience. He then became Celtic manager, the post he holds now and during his probationary period he lost the one game he needed to win.

You pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Absolute bullshit my good man. Absolute bullshit.

You've never made a mistake or not got the result that was required of you in your job before? I suppose it's never lemons, it's always lemonade when Bigsby's around.

I know you're kind of revered on here for some reason but fuck me i don't half get bored of some of the stuff that you say (i'm sure the feelings mutual before you start).

• Upvote 1

This seems an odd thing for folk to get worked up about. Would it perhaps be better to say that Lennon is unproven at any real level of management in comparison to all of Celtic's recent managers, and that his relative inexperience may result in some poor results over the season? I'm all for giving new blood a chance, but it's hardly controversial to suggest that Lennon isn't overburdened with top flight experience.

Anyway, it's all academic because United are going to win the league, both cups, European silverware and possibly the Nobel peace prize this year.

This seems an odd thing for folk to get het up about. Would it perhaps be better to say that Lennon is unproven at any real level of management in comparison to all of Celtic's recent managers, and that his relative inexperience may result in some poor results over the season? I'm all for giving new blood a chance, but it's hardly controversial to suggest that Lennon is overburdened with top flight experience.

Anyway, it's all academic because United are going to win the league, both cups, European silverware and possibly the Nobel peace prize this year.

Unproven isn't the same as "zero experience2 though.

You are right though, United will win the league. No comments. It's going to happen.

I think he probably should be a club legend. His overall attitude, demeanour and incidents such as this

Rangers star Kyle Lafferty parks his Bentley in a disabled space | The Sun |Home Scotland|Scottish News

surely show that he has more in common with your average Rangers supporter than anyone else who has ever played for the club. Of course the fans will think he's a legend.

some class comments on that article.

is Celtic match on tv next week or another net stream jobbie? is 2 "friendly" matches in the Emirates Cup on Saturday/Sunday a good idea before return match on Wed? must have big squad / only take one of them seriously?

Kinda agree Lennon is another Barnes so far as actual managerial record goes. And with his back room staff being 3 former team mates, again relatively young guys with very little coaching experience as far as i know. As a "big" club I'd be a bit concerned that there isn't anyone there to mentor/advise them more. When McCoist ends up getting huns job at least he's had a bit more experience.

but then it's not my concern, euro failure ain't great for scottish fitba though, would be quite happy for the OF to wait til 1/4 finals before disgracing themselves.

maybe this seasons SPL will be more competitive than usual but never seems to end up that way.

ps no shots on goal. strangers on the pitch. new boy gives away pen. mulgrew shite, sounds like a dons match report & obviously wisna on tv!

Guest Gladstone

I really can't figure out why so many non-Celtic supporters continue to get worked up by the appointment of Neil Lennon as Celtic manager.

I just made this prediction:

1. Celtic

2. Dundee Utd

3. Rangers

4. Aberdeen

I'd get some amazing odds on the league finishing like that. I won't bet on it though because I never do...

Guest Gladstone
some class comments on that article.

is Celtic match on tv next week or another net stream jobbie? is 2 "friendly" matches in the Emirates Cup on Saturday/Sunday a good idea before return match on Wed? must have big squad / only take one of them seriously?

Kinda agree Lennon is another Barnes so far as actual managerial record goes. And with his back room staff being 3 former team mates, again relatively young guys with very little coaching experience as far as i know. As a "big" club I'd be a bit concerned that there isn't anyone there to mentor/advise them more. When McCoist ends up getting huns job at least he's had a bit more experience.

but then it's not my concern, euro failure ain't great for scottish fitba though, would be quite happy for the OF to wait til 1/4 finals before disgracing themselves.

maybe this seasons SPL will be more competitive than usual but never seems to end up that way.

ps no shots on goal. strangers on the pitch. new boy gives away pen. mulgrew shite, sounds like a dons match report & obviously wisna on tv!

Celtic match ain't on TV next week. I think that's the main reason it wasn't on TV last night. Celtic didn't allow it to be televised next week in an attempt to fill the stadium to have the best atmosphere etc etc. I think TV stations just decided there's no point showing the first leg if they can't get the second leg, especially if the second leg would cost a fair bit of money (i.e. broadcasting from Portugal and all the cost that would go with it).

I really can't figure out why so many non-Celtic supporters continue to get worked up by the appointment of Neil Lennon as Celtic manager.

I just made this prediction:

1. Celtic

2. Dundee Utd

3. Rangers

4. Aberdeen

I'd get some amazing odds on the league finishing like that. I won't bet on it though because I never do...

You should have a cheeky punt if that's what you think the outcome will be.

I'm sticking some money on Aberdeen to win any of the following:

SPL - 250/1

Scottish Cup - 20/1

League Cup - 20/1

Probably a waste of money but you never know...

i was wondering whether the match last night would've been streamed, just it decent enough quality to watch?

i noticed that celtic are using season tickets for the match to boost numbers too, great to see a reward for signing up, and them trying to get big crowd for mega important match, so may be a good idea it not being on tv too but perhaps they could do with a few quid from it?!

The perks with most ST's are usually limited to first dibs on away tickets/cup matches alongside supporters groups. also failed to see the bit on the celtic website about management team to check if there was any info on them before i posted.

i'm not bothered about lennon at celtic in that i'm not a fan but when a team with the greatest supporters in the world rely on a rookie it's a bit of a gamble, a la Barnes. i'm sure rangers fan would be concerned with davie weir taking over in two years after only being a rookie coach as would dons fans in a similar scenario although we'd prob take any "legend". still sometimes these things work. player/managers are a breed of the past but sometimes successful shortly after their career and then concentrate on management.

wait, lafferty's on 15k a week?! 15k?!? :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

that's fucking amazing. rangers deserve to go out of business.

Guest Gladstone

And we've signed another midfielder. The Israeli dude Kayal. Never heard of him before we were linked with him. He's only 22, so hopefully one that will be a good player for a few years, maybe he'll be our new Petrov.

We need a keeper, commanding centre half and GOOD striker. I'm also not convinced that we have anyone in the middle of the park who can take the game by the short and curlies either. Hopefully one of these new boys will do that.

Hasn't Alkaline got a B36 Torshavn reserve team to be supporting?

I jest.

Iain Flannigan has now been signed a'la Halliwell which is quite encouraging, hopefully will try and force himself into the starting XI rather than be a squad player. Massive travelling support expected tomorrow, can't wait.....

New Topic, in honour of Parmo Kink - best names in football.

I'm going for Angel Rangel, currently of Swansea, and Nile 'Power' Ranger of Newcastle as my current favourites.

N'Gog. The bane of the commentator. Is it a silent N? Is a full N, as in En-Gog? Or a hard N, like Nnn-Gog? Who knows? So we'll Christen him Egg Nog. Great name.

and of course, Chile's very own PONCE.