aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

I've just started reading the book "Inverting the Pyramid" by Jonathan Wilson. Anyone already read it?

It's a look at the development of tactics in football over the last 150 years. A very interesting and enjoyable read.

[edit]

3 posts in a row! - oh dear

I've heard about it, I shall investigate Amazon methinks.

Inverting the Pyramid is a really, really great read. I found it fascinating to find out the histories of all the differing tactical approaches; it helps that it's very well written and is always clear and concise!

Exactly this. It's a great book for football geeks and nerds, some great stories about the people behind these evolutions in the sport. Top notch.

I enjoyed this article that did some statistical mythbusting on football cliches so I thought I'd share it - Why maxims are a proverbial game of two halves, Bill

I've just started reading the book "Inverting the Pyramid" by Jonathan Wilson. Anyone already read it?

It's a look at the development of tactics in football over the last 150 years. A very interesting and enjoyable read.

[edit]

3 posts in a row! - oh dear

This book apparently was the basis of a (largely informative) guide on FM tactics that I may or may not have taken three hours to read and digest on a quiet day at work a year ago.

Is it all quite technical or does it read nicely? Like a story, but with football and positions and stuff?

This book apparently was the basis of a (largely informative) guide on FM tactics that I may or may not have taken three hours to read and digest on a quiet day at work a year ago.

Is it all quite technical or does it read nicely? Like a story, but with football and positions and stuff?

It's the latter, there's a good flow to it. It takes the subject seriously as you'd expect but there are plenty of humourous anecdotes to keep things from getting bogged down.

I've only read the first few chapters but it's reading very nicely so far. He gives interesting background on some of the individuals who were very important and although a lot of it is talk about formations and positions it has so far not become overly dry and factual like you might think it would.

The latest wacky rumour coming out of Tyneside is that WWE owner Vince McMahon is looking at buying Newcastle United. That would be funny.

That would be amazing!

If you smeeeeeellllll what Joey Barton's cooking.

Catchphrases, ludicrous storylines and ridiculous thugs. It's just what the WWE's been missing

That would be amazing!

If you smeeeeeellllll what Joey Barton's cooking.

Catchphrases, ludicrous storylines and ridiculous thugs. It's just what the WWE's been missing

Sadly googling "Vince McMahon Newcastle" just brings up loads of wrestling and footy forums discussing it and no actual news sources, which means it's probably not true :down: I'd love to see Andy Carroll hit Joey Barton over the head with a steel chair.

COMPETITION TIME!

Anyone here fancy winning a ticket next to me this Saturday at the semi-final? All you have to do is message me on here and subsequently pay for your own ticket, because I don't have anyone to sit next to because I left booking my ticket too late and all my mates have already got theirs.

Is there any point to players handing in transfer requests? Surely it's just the same as a bid being rejected, the club can reject the transfer request all the same. There seems to be very little point in clinging onto a player who has made it very clear he wants out though, so rejecting it seems pointless. Then again, Rooney and Tevez have dumbfounded us all with spectacular U-Turns, but it's probably different with Charlie Adam, now he is being looked at by big clubs. I doubt this is all a ruse to get himself a big fat contract at his current club. I like Holloway, but I don't understand what his problem is, though he feels the need to harp on about it everytime he speaks to the press. It's fully legitimate for clubs to make a bid for a player they want. Same goes for Bruce and the Bent deal. Villa bidded. Sunderland accepted. Bent packs up his Xbox and moves to Birmingham. All above board. Its when one club doesn't give up on pestering a player. That's when things start to get questionable. Like United and Owen Hargreaves, Real and Ronaldo, Barca and Fabregas, United and Berbatov, United and Alan Smith, United and Carrick, and United and Rio Ferdinand. There we go. Broad examples of tapping up.

BBC Sport - Football - Blackpool's Charlie Adam submits transfer request

"Charlie loves this club and just because he puts a transfer request in doesn't change that."

That just doesn't make sense. I love this club but instead of staying here until the end of the season to ensure we stay in the premier league I'll go and play for one of our richer rivals instead. That ain't love baby.

Adam is typical of the modern footballer - play a few decent games for a club that saved his career then stick in a transfer request as soon as a bigger club come sniffing. Although probably his agent persuading him to stick in the transfer request.

I really think its agents sticking their oar in, I mean footballers in general aren't the brightest tools in the box (though that Carlisle fella who appeared on Countdown is pretty brainy) so scrupulous agents can go sticking ideas in their heads about more money etc.

The game survived perfectly well without agents in years gone by! I mean fucking hell even at the tinpot toilet level I support my football at, our youngsters have fucking agents!!!!

To be fair, I don't think it can be held against him handing in a transfer request if he wants to go to a club like Liverpool (assuming it has been the Liverpool bid that has turned his head). No disrespect to Blackpool but even if they stay up this season they will still be relegation favourites next season whereas he has a chance to go to a club with the potential to win trophies in the coming seasons.

He may well go there and end up being a benchwarmer but he'd regret not taking a chance like this if it never comes round again.

Anyone signing for Liverpool at the moment is an idiot. An idiot who has no soul, all good people want to see Liverpool get relegated just for the laughs.

I really don't see the appeal of mid-season transfers to players. You miss out on completing something you've started and you also are forced to settle into a new club (plus living in a new city) much quicker than if you move in the summer. Adam should finish the season enjoy the Blackpool celebrations for staying the premiership then move on in good terms.

Financially it easy to see why he's tempted to leave. Blackpool's wage budget really isn't premiership level and he could significantly increase his earnings if he does. Maybe he's worried people will soon realise he's actually not that good.