aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Unbelievably bad tekkers in other words.

I watched the villa vs man city match in a bar and spent the whole time explaining to a yank why it was a better match than brum v man u eventhough there was only a goal in it. Five goals doesn't necessarily mean a good match. Brum gave up after five minutes whereas villa's defense was immense the whole game. Dunne was 3rr choice a few week ago. Stellar display from the back two.

I agree in theory, but at the same point, the Villa game was a possession-based mauling, almost like a Barca game from City's perspective, or Rangers in Europe from Villa's perspective. Despite the scoreline, the game itself was probably just as one sided as the United/Brum game in terms of chances, and the actual drive to win the game comfortably. The way City threw themselves forward, and with Villa's pace in Young, Albrighton, Gabby and Bent, they could have countered and won convincingly, instead of holding onto 1-0, which is always dangerous. Great defensive display, just as good as United's attacking display was.

I think neither of those games were as good as Spurs/United last week, which was 0-0, but was end to end. Both teams defended well but attacked fearlessly. It got a bit heated too. Great game, though my favourite kind of game is where no team deserves to win the game more than the other, but one team nicks it right at the last. Like that Villa/Everton game a couple of seasons ago when Villa scored twice in the last few minutes. There's nothing quite like a last minute heartbreak.

Only one match today and it's Blackburn - West Brom. What the fuck is up with that? No SPL game either. This is almost as bad as an international friendly weekend. I might even have to go outside. I know if I watch this match it will be a dull 0-0 but if I don't bother it will probably be a cracking 3-3.

I think neither of those games were as good as Spurs/United last week, which was 0-0, but was end to end. Both teams defended well but attacked fearlessly. It got a bit heated too. Great game,.

What game were you watching? I thought it was absolutely garbage for a fixture of that stature. Apart from Crouch putting one wide in the first half and Rooney forcing a decent save, there were fuck all chances and both sides cancelled each other out. Really, really terrible schoolboy errors displayed by both sides too; neither could hang onto possession for long enough to do any damage and it just got bogged down into a heap of huffing and puffing with no quality whatsoever. If it were an SPL game it would have been absolutely slated.

Good defending from both sides, but terrible decision making and touch in attack. Totally anticlimactic.

I thought it was very good, purely because it was dogged and often ugly, considering that both teams are known for playing very good, quick football. Both teams still bombed back and forth though, so it wasn't as dull as City vs United earlier this season, where nothing ever happened because neither side allowed anything to happen. In the former game, both teams looked desperate to win, but couldn't barge their way through. I'm a big fan of 0-0 games where both teams are vying to actually win. I'd take that over a one sided Arsenal match where they have 70% possession, make a million passes a minute and do nothing with it.

I totally agree, I love a frantic 0-0 too. I just cringed at some of the first touches on display in that game, and the simple inability to find a teammate with a pass. Some Ricky Foster-esque short passing. I also need some goal-mouth action, and there was hee-haw. It struck me as an especially bad game of fitba, particularly given the participants.

One of my top tree games of all time would be the Germany - Italy WC 2006 semi, where it was end-to-end for 119 minutes until Italy finally won.

Haha. I never knew Keysy could have such a mouth on him. I always saw him as some kind of soul-less, dead behind the eyes, nothing presenter. Now he's coming out with his radical opinions.

I didn't see the possible offside incident involving the female referee's assistant, but BBC text updates said she got it right. Gray and Keys must just hate women relentlessly.

article-0-0CDE2D05000005DC-458_634x617.jpg

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY! LADS!

That's shocking. They've always been an awful pair. Good at what they do but really dislikeable. Wasn't it Keys who got caught slagging off a Scotland match? They're untouchable though so nothing will be made of this.

Are they? I suppose Keys does the anchor role well but Gray is one of the worst pundits on tv.

Are they? I suppose Keys does the anchor role well but Gray is one of the worst pundits on tv.

I'd say Andy Grey is one of the better commentators in my opinion. He actually goes into a bit of detail as opposed to "that was good/bad". He adds a bit of excitement to the game as well when he suddenly goes nuts "WHAT... a... tackle/shot/throw in" . Am I the only one who thinks he's good? Some of the ex-players they've wheeled out in the last few years are abysmal. Steve Mcmanamananmanamman on ESPN has to be heard to be believed. His analysis of the game is at the same level as me when I was 5.

I find his over the top bigging up of the premiership as the "best thing that has ever happened to the world ever" a bit much. I don't think he gives much tactical insight either, but then no one on tv does really. Maybe saying he's one of the very worst is over the top as there are some shockers out there. McManaman is awful. Do you ever watch matches on the fox soccer channel? They treat Warren Barton as if he's the greatest football guru ever. He jsut seems to repeat whatever has been commonly said in the uk press the previous couple of weeks.

The Fox Soccer channel is fucking ace. The punditry is ding but there are hardly any adverts and even at half time they show highlights from other matches. Between that, Fox Soccer plus, GolTV and ESPN2, the coverage in the states is actually better than back home.

Warren Barton sits atop his barstool throne in his cheap suit spouting complete banalities whilst ex-mls players lap it up and treat him like some kind of hero. It's astounding.

I am a big fan of Martin Tyler. He doesn't get too involved with opinions. He's strictly a fact man, and I dig that. I can't stand Gray though. He's drawing all over the replays like he's John Madden with his pointless replay gadgets, and I honestly believe he doesn't know anything about football outside of the Premier League. Even in Champions League games, he offers zero insight to the teams the English teams are against.

I like Chris Waddle as a co-com, and even though he's a bit dim at times, David Pleat is pleasant enough. I don't mind Alan Smith either. Would take all 3 of those over Gray.

Quote on Keysy from another forum

A female friend of mine got chatted up in Manchester by Richard Keys and Geoff Shreeves, the night before some game at Old Trafford. Keys was putting in most of the work, asking her if she had a boyfriend whether she loved him, etc. When she replied yes, he asked her who he supported, and she said it was Everton. Keys rolled his eyes and went "oh god, a Scouser. I bet he's called Dave. Dave the Thief."

She then asked them what time they needed to be at Old Trafford for the game the next day. Keys responded "wake me up at 8am and we should be alright". He then started going off on a long rant about lesbians, including the line "why do lesbians use strap-ons? I mean, what's the point?"

Possibly sensing this wasn't going well, Keys then started haranguing Geoff Shreeves to call Jamie Redknapp and get him down from his hotel room, going "you'll talk to us if Jamie's here, won't you?" They invited her to dinner with them and she replied that she already had a reservation at a restaurant over the road. Richard Keys responded "I bet you just love meat". At which point she choked on her drink and Geoff Shreeves chipped in with "choking eh? I've got some cream for that".

And loads of other filth I've forgotten.