aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Guest idol_wild
Hartley scoring a hat trick on the season opener? Howard and Ifil keeping us in the game for 91 minutes last week?

I would expect any professional football player to score three penalties, if given the opportunity. Hartley hardly had a blinder - he just so happened to do what every professional football should be able to do. Three times.

As for your second example - Howard still conceded a goal, and Aberdeen still lost the game.

Guest idol_wild
I have never booed the Dons and I normally stick u for Mackie. Howver, I refuse to give him credit for giving 100%. That is the absolute bare minimum that a professional footballer should offer. Anyone not giving 100% can GTF as far as Im concerned.

I totally agree. But we all know this just isn't the norm, though. The professional game is absolutely littered with players who don't give 100% every game, and I feel Aberdeen have a number of those criminals in their squad.

I would expect any professional football player to score three penalties, if given the opportunity. Hartley hardly had a blinder - he just so happened to do what every professional football should be able to do. Three times.

As for your second example - Howard still conceded a goal, and Aberdeen still lost the game.

Are you unaware that Paul Hartley is the 3rd best footballer in the world after Messi and Villa?

I like Dandy Dazzler but I think any aberdeen fan has a right to grow weary of his ways. I like his face though. I wish he was my son.

Keepers are getting better at pennos though, and strikers are getting worse. Keepers have the advantage of stepping off their line now, which goes unpenalised. Pepe Reina is the master of the the line-spring. Nobody blasts penalties into the top corner anymore either, like Alan Shearer used to. You just don't save those. It's all stutter runs and sidefooting. Penalties are shit. I want to see Julian Dicks like thunderbolts, smashed so hard they have to design a goalie glove which gives extra support to a keepers fingers and don't allow for inverted bending. Which they did for that Julian Dicks penalty against United. It was predicted that if Schmeichel had have gotten a hand to it, it probably would have broken his fingers. Boof!

I have never booed the Dons and I normally stick u for Mackie. Howver, I refuse to give him credit for giving 100%. That is the absolute bare minimum that a professional footballer should offer. Anyone not giving 100% can GTF as far as Im concerned.

My minimum conditions are actually 110% which must be given 'week in, week out'.

Had to chuckle at ITV's promo for the Spain v Argentina friendly tomorrow night, really hamming it up when you can bet your bottom dollar it'll be a lame contest mainly played out by fringe players!

The Unofficial World Championship is at stake in this one after Spain managed to unify the official and unofficial titles at the World Cup. There's nothing lame contest about that, no sir.

I love the way we always hear about how knackered players are and how long the season is but if there is a lucrative friendly to play on the other side of the world, top players will be made to jump on a plane!

Mind you ITV are only doing their job I suppose hamming up meaningless games. In their promo for the UEFA Super Cup game they too tried to suggest the game meant something!

Winner of Trophy A VS Winner of Trophy B (or runner up in case of a double swoop) competitions are awesome. I won't hear a bad word said about the Super Cup or the Community Shield. Important stuff. It seems to be the Yoofa winners are always more up for it. Like Atletico beating Inter, and Zenit smashing Man United to bits.

Liquid football.

Yes I realise this but your arguement was that no one has had an impact on the game; those goals didn't count then? Howard saving us from a possible 3-0 could be important come top/bottom split time (as depressing an outlook as that is).

I'm not being funny and I know what you mean, that there's not many people we have had recently who can change a game on their own, but you can't say that we don't have players in the squad who can have a big impact on a game.

I love the way we always hear about how knackered players are and how long the season is but if there is a lucrative friendly to play on the other side of the world, top players will be made to jump on a plane!

You're right about that, with the majority of players involved playing in Europe it seems daft making them all fly to Argentina to play this game.

Exclusive starting line-up from Craig Levein: McGregor, Hutton, Weir, McManus, Wallace,

McCulloch, Brown, D Fletcher, McFadden, Miller, Boyd.

Pleased with that lineup. Boyd might get only one or two clear cut chances in the game, but he will put away at least one.

I like the look of that Scotland starting XI.

On the subject of Darren Mackie - I have seen him have many games where he's been far and away the best player on the pitch, yet chances are next week he'll be atrocious. I've never watched a more frustrating player due to this. I wouldn't say its ever due to lack of effort, determination, or interest though as he can match some of the best players in the world in those categories. It's mystifying. My guess would be that confidence is Mackie's main problem. An absolute critical lack of confidence in his own ability. It would certainly explain a lot.

Given that no-one can ever predict which Darren Mackie will turn up I always feel it is a bit of a gamble having him in the starting line-up. I agree with Adam Easy Wishes though that as a squad player, Mackie is as good as anyone in this league. I thought he swung the game back in our favour against St. Johnstone when he came on and that's the role he should be playing; getting in the faces of defenders who are starting to feel it after 80 minutes.

Booing individual players is a big no-no for me. I'll boo at full-time, or if its horrendous enough, half-time. But booing players coming off and on is a mugs game imo. Jackie McNamara made me break that rule of mine several times though but I pray to god I never see such blatant lack of commitment to the cause from an Aberdeen player again. I've been known to lose the rag with fellow South Standers for booing substitutions. Gets my goat.