aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Guest Gladstone

Well, I was at the Celtic match last night, and Mulgrew is doing himself no favours...

He seems to think he's better than he actually is. I think that's his main problem. Basically what happened with him last night was he was ALWAYS demanding the ball from his team-mates - which is what you want, someone offering themselves, and always willing to take the ball to feet. So far so good. He then seems to try the long ball up the line about 8 times out of 10. That may not be his fault - he should probably have more options available, but about 7 times out of the 8, he just overhits it and wastes possession. The other 2 times out of 10, he tries to take on the right winger, and gets caught out quite a lot. The game last night was pretty much 95% Celtic possession for the first 15 minutes without really getting anywhere, they were pretty camped out in their own half. Then Mulgrew tried to take on the winger, got tackled, one pass, quick cross into the box and we're on the back foot. Header, goal. We now need to score 5 goals. Mulgrew's head then went down seriously and he was just shitting it every time he got the ball. I should also say that he didn't get torn apart by the supporters either - quite a few "fuck sake you stupid cunt, what the fuck are you doing" kind of comments, but not the slating I've seen players take from their own fans (not just Celtic fans) before.

He got weeched off at half time before he could do anymore damage and Joe Ledley filled in at left back.

We really need a good left back. I hope Mulgrew settles in and turns into a good left back, but I really can't see it. Someone mentioned McGhee thought he would make a decent centre back, and before last night I've had said no chance because I didn't realise how big he is in real life. He's got a fair bit of height and was decent in the air actually. I would question his concentration and all round awareness though. And if you play him at centre back he's never going to be putting all these wonder crosses into the box that everyone keeps talking about.

After half time, we looked a much different team with Marc Antoine Fortune playing as a right winger. He made such a difference - we actually had some width, and he just did the straightforward thing of hanging out wide, getting the ball getting up the line and crossing the fucker in. He created a few chances and we should have scored more than 2. In fact, if we'd banged in a goal instead of hitting a defender in each of the scrambles in the box we'd have gone through. There was at least 4 times when we were all head in hands at another chance going a begging. Saying that our second goal looked about 2 yards offside to be honest.

Anyway, Europa playoff draw on Friday. We'll probably get someone magic and get beat 10-1 away from home in the first leg.

aye that's mulgrew, from centre back he still could take some free kicks / curling crosses but i'm sure there's others in the team more than capable?

was it a good atmosphere last night or did that early goal pretty much kill it? despite the tough match even if they'd managed to get through the next game would be ten times harder, a la Arsenal last season. and agree could be tough matches for them & arabs in Europa if they are the only two scottish clubs left in it after tonight...

fyi - a few decent goals fae english football leagues...

BBC Sport - Football - Goals of the Season - Football League 2009/10

Well, I was at the Celtic match last night, and Mulgrew is doing himself no favours...

He seems to think he's better than he actually is. I think that's his main problem. Basically what happened with him last night was he was ALWAYS demanding the ball from his team-mates - which is what you want, someone offering themselves, and always willing to take the ball to feet. So far so good. He then seems to try the long ball up the line about 8 times out of 10. That may not be his fault - he should probably have more options available, but about 7 times out of the 8, he just overhits it and wastes possession. The other 2 times out of 10, he tries to take on the right winger, and gets caught out quite a lot. The game last night was pretty much 95% Celtic possession for the first 15 minutes without really getting anywhere, they were pretty camped out in their own half. Then Mulgrew tried to take on the winger, got tackled, one pass, quick cross into the box and we're on the back foot. Header, goal. We now need to score 5 goals. Mulgrew's head then went down seriously and he was just shitting it every time he got the ball. I should also say that he didn't get torn apart by the supporters either - quite a few "fuck sake you stupid cunt, what the fuck are you doing" kind of comments, but not the slating I've seen players take from their own fans (not just Celtic fans) before.

He got weeched off at half time before he could do anymore damage and Joe Ledley filled in at left back.

We really need a good left back. I hope Mulgrew settles in and turns into a good left back, but I really can't see it. Someone mentioned McGhee thought he would make a decent centre back, and before last night I've had said no chance because I didn't realise how big he is in real life. He's got a fair bit of height and was decent in the air actually. I would question his concentration and all round awareness though. And if you play him at centre back he's never going to be putting all these wonder crosses into the box that everyone keeps talking about.

After half time, we looked a much different team with Marc Antoine Fortune playing as a right winger. He made such a difference - we actually had some width, and he just did the straightforward thing of hanging out wide, getting the ball getting up the line and crossing the fucker in. He created a few chances and we should have scored more than 2. In fact, if we'd banged in a goal instead of hitting a defender in each of the scrambles in the box we'd have gone through. There was at least 4 times when we were all head in hands at another chance going a begging. Saying that our second goal looked about 2 yards offside to be honest.

Anyway, Europa playoff draw on Friday. We'll probably get someone magic and get beat 10-1 away from home in the first leg.

Don't be ridiculous. There's no way you'll score 1 goal away from home.

Guest Gladstone
aye that's mulgrew, from centre back he still could take some free kicks / curling crosses but i'm sure there's others in the team more than capable?

was it a good atmosphere last night or did that early goal pretty much kill it? despite the tough match even if they'd managed to get through the next game would be ten times harder, a la Arsenal last season. and agree could be tough matches for them & arabs in Europa if they are the only two scottish clubs left in it after tonight...

fyi - a few decent goals fae english football leagues...

BBC Sport - Football - Goals of the Season - Football League 2009/10

The atmosphere wasn't bad last night. It wasn't the best atmosphere I've ever seen, but the stadium was nearly full, which was decent given the fact we were 3 goals down from the first leg. It should have been full, but you can't force people to go. I don't think many people thought we would actually win by 4 goals...

After the first goal, there were a few folk up and left, and it killed the atmosphere for a while, and to be honest, most of the first half. The second half atmosphere was quite good because we actually started going at them, and got the goal. When the supporters could see the team actually having a go, it made a big difference. I still enjoyed the game even though we got knocked out.

Your point about getting through the game and the next round being harder, I think if we'd got through the tie last night we'd be guaranteed to get into the Europa League, whereas now we're going to have to win over 2 legs in a play-off before the end of August to even get into that.

I'm seriously considering a season ticket, so I'd quite like some European matches to go to this season...

The atmosphere wasn't bad last night. It wasn't the best atmosphere I've ever seen, but the stadium was nearly full, which was decent given the fact we were 3 goals down from the first leg. I'm seriously considering a season ticket, so I'd quite like some European matches to go to this season...

Didn't every season ticket holder get a free ticket for this game?

If Liverpool were on the telly that night I'd imagine Scabbieheid would be half full :popcorn:

Guest Gladstone
Didn't every season ticket holder get a free ticket for this game?

If Liverpool were on the telly that night I'd imagine Scabbieheid would be half full :popcorn:

Aye - it was on the season ticket, but I'm not sure how many season tickets have been renewed/sold so far this season.

In the good old days I had to wait 2 seasons on a waiting list to get the opportunity of a season ticket (and that was a cheap one that didn't have the old firm games (Rangers get a bigger allocation than other away supports, so my seat was sat on by one of them... gads)).

I registered my interest in a season ticket about a couple of months ago, and got an e-mail asking if I wanted one. And the seat I was in last night had a sticker on it with the phone number to call if I wanted to buy a season ticket for that seat.

So I'm guessing the days of 50,000+ season ticket holders have gone, so to fill the ground we probably still need to sell 15-20,000 general sales tickets.

There was still probably more than 50,000 at the game last night - that's just a guess based on the number of empty seats I could see. Probably close to 55,000 maybe. It was pretty full though.

So I'm guessing the days of 50,000+ season ticket holders have gone, so to fill the ground we probably still need to sell 15-20,000 general sales tickets.QUOTE]

Probably be more than 20,000 I would think. Rangers are supposed to have sold 37,000... I'm sure that's because we all renewed before we sold the team and took on another one based on winning the league last season! Haha.

Guest Gladstone
So I'm guessing the days of 50,000+ season ticket holders have gone, so to fill the ground we probably still need to sell 15-20,000 general sales tickets.QUOTE]

Probably be more than 20,000 I would think. Rangers are supposed to have sold 37,000... I'm sure that's because we all renewed before we sold the team and took on another one based on winning the league last season! Haha.

Aye, but our fans are more loyal/better than your fans.

And my Dad could beat your Dad in a fight.

Wednesday are second favourites to win the league. The League! I can't wait for such prospects as:

*scoring more than one goal in a game

*winning 2, 3 or more games on the bounce

*not playing anti-football

*not having to play Barnsley or Scunthorpe

*not having players injured by Chris Morgan.

Boro are favourites to win the Championship, and Chelsea for the Premiership too. Chelsea have been favourites to win it before the start of the season every year since Mourinho. Even the years when United won it 3 years in a row.

I've got a hunch for Arsenal. They're rubbish at seeing things out, but I reckon they can do it. They came pretty close last season, and that was whilst relying on Bendtner. Now they'll have Van Persie back, as well as Chamakh. Wilshere is also supreme, and maybe Arshavin won't moan every week this year. Letting Gallas walk for nothing might be a mistake though. Still a solid player. Except for wearing the number 10 whilst being a centre back. Unforgivable that.

Guest Gladstone

Right. Fuck the Champions League. Nobody cares about that meaningless tournament.

It's all about the Europa League...

The draw for the play-off is later on today, and for some odd reason, Celtic is seeded. Fuck knows how that happened.

Although, I'm having trouble working out what on earth actually happens at the draw. I'd have thought being seeded means you don't meet any other seeded teams, which would be a real bonus for Celtic. Although read this quote from the UEFA website:

Draw format

The 74 clubs are divided into seven groups for the draw five of ten teams and two of 12. Within the seven groups an equal number of sides will be seeded and unseeded in accordance with the club rankings established at the beginning of the season. A ball will be taken from each of the bowls containing seeded and unseeded teams' date=' and placed in a large empty bowl in the middle where they will be shuffled. The first club drawn will play its first match at home and sides from the same association cannot be drawn against each other.[/quote']

To me, that sounds like they just take a ball out of each bowl and mix them up, meaning when you draw out the two, you could get two unseeded or two seeded teams. Am I missing something? Why wouldn't they just chuck them all in one big bowl in the first place if that was the case?

Big names await Europa League fate on UEFA.COM

Right. Fuck the Champions League. Nobody cares about that meaningless tournament.

It's all about the Europa League...

The draw for the play-off is later on today, and for some odd reason, Celtic is seeded. Fuck knows how that happened.

Although, I'm having trouble working out what on earth actually happens at the draw. I'd have thought being seeded means you don't meet any other seeded teams, which would be a real bonus for Celtic. Although read this quote from the UEFA website:

To me, that sounds like they just take a ball out of each bowl and mix them up, meaning when you draw out the two, you could get two unseeded or two seeded teams. Am I missing something? Why wouldn't they just chuck them all in one big bowl in the first place if that was the case?

Big names await Europa League fate on UEFA.COM

Sounds more like they take 1 ball from unseeded and 1 from seeded. Put it in a big bowl and whoever gets drawn first plays the first leg at home.

Guest Gladstone
Sounds more like they take 1 ball from unseeded and 1 from seeded. Put it in a big bowl and whoever gets drawn first plays the first leg at home.

Ah, the penny drops.

That means Celtic will get one of the following teams:

Grasshopper-Club (SUI)

Trabzonspor A? (TUR)

FC Utrecht (NED)

AIK (SWE)

FK Qaraba? (AZE)

Thank fuck we're on the seeded side of the draw because at least with those teams we have a chance of going through if we don't capitulate away from home. Saying that, some decent teams there, but we should be capable of beating any of them over two legs.

Guest Gladstone
Fuck Celtic, the real news is that United will get either Juventus, AZ Alkmaar, Getafe, AEK Athens or Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk.

Fuck you.

Seriously - who do you want out of that lot? Juventus are obviously ones to avoid, but they're all decent sides. Getafe maybe? To be honest, I've no idea how good any of those teams are at the moment. Is Dnipro the team Aberdeen played a few years ago?

Nah, Getafe are a totally decent side these days. They've got some smart home grown talent and a good manager. They were the dark horses of la liga last year and played great football. Considering how poor Juve were last season, Getafe should be the one to avoid of that lot. I'd say they pose more of a threat, especially with their pace.

Guest Gladstone

The reward for Motherwell pumping whoever they played (I only read it about an hour ago, but I've totally forgotten already) 3-0 at home, they face one of these fuckers in the play-off:

Villareal

Fenerbahce

Manchester City

Lokomotiv Moskow

Odense BK

Dinamo Zagreb

That's tough to say the least. First four will be nightmare ties. Moscow weren't all that good when they came to Pittodrie, but the problem will be having to play an away tie in Moscow. Never heard of Odense before, and couldn't tell you if Dinamo Zagreb are any good these days or not. I suspect the Croatian league is probably about 30 times better than the SPL though...