aberdeen-music

Electric Guitar for a beginnner...which one??

ballaterquine

I'm afraid I'm still not going to try out cymbals but that's because I buy the same thing each time, I only use 2 x 18" crashes as that's what I like and all I need.

Not being a drummer myself, so i wouldn't know for definite, but surely (despite it being made by the same company and being the same "model"/size/type etc) the metal composition in each would vary and therefore they would all sound a wee bit different? Like i said, i know nothing about drums/cymbals, so i might be wrong.

Not being a drummer myself, so i wouldn't know for definite, but surely (despite it being made by the same company and being the same "model"/size/type etc) the metal composition in each would vary and therefore they would all sound a wee bit different? Like i said, i know nothing about drums/cymbals, so i might be wrong.

Technically what you are saying may well be correct but for me personally I am willing to put my trust in manufacturing techniques producing similar items that produce a similar noise. Perhaps some fancy hand crafted item may be a different matter entirely but I don't feel I can justify paying big bucks for cymbals.

I'm not willing to become the cymbal buying equivalent of the 'milk maids' in 'Clerks', because I play drums as a hobby and I think that if someone is going to pick holes with anything to do with my drumming it is more likely to be to do with playing ability rather than thinking 'Christ, he obviously didn't try out that crash cymbal before purchasing, the crash is not quite right!'.

:up:

I'm not meaning to come across arsey by the way. I just don't get the whole "not try before you buy" thing.

As a bass player I feel somewhat forced into that position. Aberdeen is not exactly drowning in choice. I'm not having a dig at the shops here - more people play those thin stringed things than bass and the shops reflect that situation, rightly so.

I find it a lot easier to obtain what I want online, often second hand. I can set up a bass for myself and repair or modify most things that are wrong/annoying. If it doesn't work out then I can sell it on. On average I'd say I've broken even financially, make a few quid on one, lose a few quid on the other. The fact that I operate in the lower regions of the second hand market (never spent more than 350 on a bass), if there are any losses they're pretty easy to take.

Technically what you are saying may well be correct but for me personally I am willing to put my trust in manufacturing techniques producing similar items that produce a similar noise. Perhaps some fancy hand crafted item may be a different matter entirely but I don't feel I can justify paying big bucks for cymbals.

This. I used to buy my mid level Paiste and Istanbul cymbals online and never had a problem with them, and never felt the need to return them as the description of the cymbal sound/resonance/composition/depth/etc was always pretty much spot on.....

Guest droid
As a bass player I feel somewhat forced into that position. Aberdeen is not exactly drowning in choice. I'm not having a dig at the shops here - more people play those thin stringed things than bass and the shops reflect that situation, rightly so.

I find it a lot easier to obtain what I want online, often second hand. I can set up a bass for myself and repair or modify most things that are wrong/annoying. If it doesn't work out then I can sell it on. On average I'd say I've broken even financially, make a few quid on one, lose a few quid on the other. The fact that I operate in the lower regions of the second hand market (never spent more than 350 on a bass), if there are any losses they're pretty easy to take.

Yes,i got a very nice s/h Yamaha BBN5A bass off e bay for 360.Plays like a dream,in saying that i knew what i was buying and the seller had good rep.I would be very careful though when buying online.

This. I used to buy my mid level Paiste and Istanbul cymbals online and never had a problem with them, and never felt the need to return them as the description of the cymbal sound/resonance/composition/depth/etc was always pretty much spot on.....

When I bought my kit I got one of those sets of cymbals, Sabian ones. I still use the hats and ride but now use Paiste crashes. I used to get Sabian ones but cracked every single one without fail. Most would say it's probably my technique, or lack thereof, to blame and it may well be but I've had no such issue with the Paiste ones. I probably will look to replace via online if need be but hoping it won't be needed.

I don't think it really applies to the same level with cymbals as it does with guitars though. There's just so many more minute variables with a guitar as mentioned already - tiny differences in the setup, fret board wood, resonance, truss rod, whatever that affect the way an individual guitar feels to play - that just don't come into it to the same degree when you're essentially hitting a lump of metal with a stick. Of course all cymbals don't sound exactly the same, but if you were smashing the hell out of two identical 18"AAX you're not likely to hear any difference at all, and you're certainly not going to say they 'feel different'.

I don't think it really applies to the same level with cymbals as it does with guitars though. There's just so many more minute variables with a guitar as mentioned already - tiny differences in the setup, fret board wood, resonance, truss rod, whatever that affect the way an individual guitar feels to play - that just don't come into it to the same degree when you're essentially hitting a lump of metal with a stick. Of course all cymbals don't sound exactly the same, but if you were smashing the hell out of two identical 18"AAX you're not likely to hear any difference at all, and you're certainly not going to say they 'feel different'.

This.

As I said regarding guitars, there are many considerations, but also - as I mentioned - amps are a different story. As are cymbals.

If you wish to be excruciatingly pedantic, the lathe used will be marginally more worn for the next cymbal to be manufactured compared to the previous one, therefore they'll never be "exactly the same". That's getting horrendously anal though :up:

This.

As I said regarding guitars, there are many considerations, but also - as I mentioned - amps are a different story. As are cymbals.

If you wish to be excruciatingly pedantic, the lathe used will be marginally more worn for the next cymbal to be manufactured compared to the previous one, therefore they'll never be "exactly the same". That's getting horrendously anal though :up:

If we want to get overly anal about it the aloys will never be 100% the same either.

Au contraire, Philip, I bought my hihats and ride cymbal online. They were a helluva good price; about a hundo each less than BM sell them for. The fact is that Sabian AAXs are the nizzles; bad ones do not exist. That's a 200 saving, which more than compensates for the fact that I couldn't try before I buy.

In an ideal world I'd buy everything from BM and try it all first. however, until the day that their prices can compete with those online, I'll take my chances.

Well, we had our guitar recce today after the guitar lesson and my budding rock chick likes the Yamaha Pacifica best. It was a bit lighter and a "cool shape". and she liked the headstock. She had a try out of it and the Squier in BM's and we had a look in R&B too..so we are now wondering whether to pay Aberdeen prices or take the small risk and get it cheaper online...?? It is 239 in Brucies and 249 in R&B but 189- 209... online...:help:

Well, we had our guitar recce today after the guitar lesson and my budding rock chick likes the Yamaha Pacifica best. It was a bit lighter and a "cool shape". and she liked the headstock. She had a try out of it and the Squier in BM's and we had a look in R&B too..so we are now wondering whether to pay Aberdeen prices or take the small risk and get it cheaper online...?? It is 239 in Brucies and 249 in R&B but 189- 209... online...:help:

Does she do her lessons in BMs 'cause i think pupils get a discount.

Coda Music have a secondhand one right now for 137.95 including postage. Might be worth considering?

Yamaha Pacifica 112 Green ~ Secondhand

There was a Yamaha Pacifica in the window of the Clan Charity shop on Rosemount Place a couple of days ago for 90. Didn't get a close up look at it so it might need a set up or have some problems. Maybe if you went in with someone that was clued up about guitars they could tell you if it was in a playable condition?

There was a Yamaha Pacifica in the window of the Clan Charity shop on Rosemount Place a couple of days ago for 90. Didn't get a close up look at it so it might need a set up or have some problems. Maybe if you went in with someone that was clued up about guitars they could tell you if it was in a playable condition?

I'll check it out...cheers:up: