aberdeen-music

Electric Guitar for a beginnner...which one??

ballaterquine

My lack of playing ability doesn't stop me.

Jamie is the pleasant chap, usually found out the actual guitar counter itself, sporting very ginger hair. Good guy, very knowledgable, and very approachable.

You don't have a lack of ability though. I think I know the guy in question, however on-line sites seem to have large savings on the geetars I was looking at.

You don't have a lack of ability though. I think I know the guy in question, however on-line sites seem to have large savings on the geetars I was looking at.

There isn't a smiley for smacking your hand on your head on here unfortunately.

I just can't understand why someone would take a chance on an instrument bought online that they can't play beforehand.

I had asked Jamie to keep an eye out for you and maybe give you a wee bit of Phil discount if you genuinely showed some interest in something in particular.

I doubt we could meet the russian roulette prices though.

There isn't a smiley for smacking your hand on your head on here unfortunately.

I just can't understand why someone would take a chance on an instrument bought online that they can't play beforehand.

I had asked Jamie to keep an eye out for you and maybe give you a wee bit of Phil discount if you genuinely showed some interest in something in particular.

I doubt we could meet the russian roulette prices though.

I'm perhaps being naive but why would the same model of guitar bought on-line be any different to one bought in Brucie's? If there is good reason I would far rather pay extra.

As mentioned i'm a f**k nugget when it comes to guitar so trying it out in the shop isn't likely to mean much really.

Fuck all that shit, if you can get it cheaper online then gopher it imo. Ricky went to buy an amp, but wanted to give his business to Bruce Miller, so asked if they would match or get close to the online price (BM were quoting ~850, online was ~700). BM wouldn't even get within a hundo so he took his business elsewhere (online). And the amp is a fuckin delight.

I want to support local businesses but will stop short of paying through the nose when it's not required.

Amps are a completely different story to guitars.

With a guitar, it may come to you with a warped neck, or damaged otherwise, or with a setup beyond repair (may have a knackered truss rod for example). There may be cracks on the fretboard from being too dry. Many different aspects.

The main point though, is that - at the end of the day - every guitar, regardless of whether it's the same model, is different. It is a different piece of wood. Therefore, it will sound and feel (even if just marginally) different.

I got Gibson to send up 2 of the exact same model to R&B for me to try before making a decision. They were different in weight - which affects tone. The neck felt different - which affects playability. The setup (despite being rectifiable) was drastically different between the two. At the end of the day, the guitars - although "exactly the same" - were not the same at all. They sounded and felt different to each other.

If you don't care about these particular aspects and would rather save a little bit of money buying from an online box shifter that buys in such bulk that they get relevant discounts from suppliers which then allows them to be able to undercut shops drastically, then go for it. That's why local shops - which simply don't, and never will have, the buying power of these internet giants - can never price match.

I'd rather pay that bit more to know exactly what I'm getting from hands on experience with it. Because, as I said previously essentially, you try a guitar in R&B/Bruce Millers and like it, you go and order that model online. For all intensive purposes, the guitar you will receive ISN'T the one you tried.

Hope that makes sense.

:up:

• Upvote 1

Fuck all that shit, if you can get it cheaper online then gopher it imo. Ricky went to buy an amp, but wanted to give his business to Bruce Miller, so asked if they would match or get close to the online price (BM were quoting ~850, online was ~700). BM wouldn't even get within a hundo so he took his business elsewhere (online). And the amp is a fuckin delight.

I want to support local businesses but will stop short of paying through the nose when it's not required.

I disagree. It depends on the situation as well. Getting to know people who work there is a good start as well...

I agree with try before you buy on both amps and guitars. Although amps are a little bit different.

I'm perhaps being naive but why would the same model of guitar bought on-line be any different to one bought in Brucie's? If there is good reason I would far rather pay extra.

As mentioned i'm a f**k nugget when it comes to guitar so trying it out in the shop isn't likely to mean much really.

Would you blind buy a cymbal online?

Blimey! We really started something!!

We are going out to have a recce on Saturday at Brucie's and R&B (who are having a sale soon!) . We'll speak to Jamie at BM's once my Avril Lavigne has had her lesson...and she can try the guitars you dudes have recommended.

Cheers for all the comment and advice...it's a bloody minefield as I know diddly squat about guitars! Humbucker??? sounds like a topless bar in USA!

Sandra:headbang:

Amps are a completely different story to guitars.

With a guitar, it may come to you with a warped neck, or damaged otherwise, or with a setup beyond repair (may have a knackered truss rod for example). There may be cracks on the fretboard from being too dry. Many different aspects.

The main point though, is that - at the end of the day - every guitar, regardless of whether it's the same model, is different. It is a different piece of wood. Therefore, it will sound and feel (even if just marginally) different.

I got Gibson to send up 2 of the exact same model to R&B for me to try before making a decision. They were different in weight - which affects tone. The neck felt different - which affects playability. The setup (despite being rectifiable) was drastically different between the two. At the end of the day, the guitars - although "exactly the same" - were not the same at all. They sounded and felt different to each other.

If you don't care about these particular aspects and would rather save a little bit of money buying from an online box shifter that buys in such bulk that they get relevant discounts from suppliers which then allows them to be able to undercut shops drastically, then go for it. That's why local shops - which simply don't, and never will have, the buying power of these internet giants - can never price match.

I'd rather pay that bit more to know exactly what I'm getting from hands on experience with it. Because, as I said previously essentially, you try a guitar in R&B/Bruce Millers and like it, you go and order that model online. For all intensive purposes, the guitar you will receive ISN'T the one you tried.

Hope that makes sense.

:up:

That makes things very clear, thank you.

Bet you could've got those cymbals for cheaper online though...

Yeah most probably. I can't see why I wouldn't buy a cymbal online as long as it could be returned if damaged. After all, I don't try them out in the shop to check the crashing noise is any particular way...cue lots of outraged drummers aghast at my shoddy cymbal buying technique.

I think I actually needed to buy a cymbal quite quickly for some reason, think I had been making do with a damaged one after leaving one at Tunnels by mistake and not getting it back but wante dto get a new one for a gig or summat.

Yeah most probably. I can't see why I wouldn't buy a cymbal online as long as it could be returned if damaged. After all, I don't try them out in the shop to check the crashing noise is any particular way...cue lots of outraged drummers aghast at my shoddy cymbal buying technique.

That's what i was getting at. Most of my drumming friends would rather shit out a hot poker than not try out a cymbal or tom or whatever, so why should peoples mentality be any different with other instruments. The same principal applies regardless.

I'm not meaning to come across arsey by the way. I just don't get the whole "not try before you buy" thing.

That's what i was getting at. Most of my drumming friends would rather shit out a hot poker than not try out a cymbal or tom or whatever, so why should peoples mentality be any different with other instruments. The same principal applies regardless.

I'm not meaning to come across arsey by the way. I just don't get the whole "not try before you buy" thing.

I'm afraid I'm still not going to try out cymbals but that's because I buy the same thing each time, I only use 2 x 18" crashes as that's what I like and all I need.

I'm sold on the guitar thing though. My wife may slaughter me if I flog the guitar I never use only to buy another one though so need to lay some groundwork. I think I know who Jamie is by dint of being in BM's every other day to buy lunch. I can always try out the 2 Tele's that I like by strumming my 4 or 5 chords what I know.