aberdeen-music

Electric Guitar for a beginnner...which one??

ballaterquine

Another vote for a Squire from me but as a curve ball get her a Squire Jazz bass...the world needs more bass players :D Like some people here I started with a Squire and I still have it.

Make sure she helps to choose it though. It's got to feel nice to play because that will only encourage a young'un to play more. TBH though you're lucky buying now...the quality of entry level guitars has come on sooooo much in the last 10 years.

Value for money there's not much (unless going down the 2nd hand route) that is going to surpass either a Squier (Strat/Tele) or a Yamaha Pacifica 112. I feel very late to the party as both of these have been mentioned numerous times.

Not that it holds much water it would seem but working as one of the main "guitar people" in a local guitar shop for the past 7 years, through plenty experience with other brands trying to compete, not much is coming close to the aforementioned companies. Especially - as mentioned above - with regards to resale any time down the line.

:up:

The Yamaha pacifica 112 was way ahead of the squier strat when I worked in a guitar shop. I cant say if this is still the case, as its been a few years, but both are good for starting out.

If she's into heavier rock/metal music I'd reccomend the Yamaha over the squire because it has a 'humbucker' pickup which will produce a more rock tone.

:rolleyes:

I knew I'd get responses like that.

Generally speaking more modern, heavy rock tones are easier to achieve and more commonly achieved using humbuckers. I didnt say it was impossible with single coils, I was just stating one of the advantages of having a humbucker that was relevant to what the OP was after.

I have a Squier Strat in sunburst with a maple neck at home that does nowt. You can have that cheap. I don't know what price would be reasonable, any ideas, cheap guitar experts?

Or if anyone else fancies it give me a shout! It's in great nick, been sitting in a gig bag almost permanently for the past near 20 years....

You're both volcanically wrong.

Egads, folk who can't handle Les Pauls are pure jessies by the way. Mine's got a neck like an elephant's trunk and a tone like the earth singing hymns.

I can handle a Les Paul like an amphetamine laced pedo in a school yard but i still think that they're ass. I love my SG.

I also feel that for a beginner a Strat type guitar is a good idea. Pacifica would be my choice as well if i was starting over.

And you reasoning behind that statement is?

All this LP vs Strat talk is nonsense, they're both great guitars and they both do different things.

Everybody should have at least one, but preferably several of each. :up:

That said, I would recommend the Epiphone Specials suggested by Lucky as a first time guitar, the bolt neck Epis are pretty horrible.

In general I wouldn't recommend a Les Paul to a young lassie either as they tend to be fucking heavy (apologies if that's sexist).

I don't like Les Pauls to look at. They have what I would describe as a big arse. I do love the way they play and sound though, as long as I'm sat down, due to the weight. They feel like they are made out of concrete.

Still, a hard tail is a good bet for a beginner. Cheap trem units are gash, and can hinder the intonation, making chords sound awful, and possibly stifling a beginners progress if the chords they are playing sound mince.