aberdeen-music

Electric Guitar for a beginnner...which one??

ballaterquine

I went to Bruce Millers for lunch today so had a swatch at the Squire Telecasters - there were at least 3 variants with different pick up configurations which dictated various prices between 200 - 400 quid - what's the script there then? Bear in mind that I know about as much on the intricacies of guitar configurations as I do quantuum physics...

I don't suppose you thought to ask someone in the shop?

No. My complete lack of guitar knowledge (as amply demonstrated in this very thread) makes me reluctant to ask folk who work in there about guitars. It would make me feel like the dude in Hi Fidelity who goes in asking for a copy of 'I Just Called To Say I Love You'. So I thought I'd ask here.

No. My complete lack of guitar knowledge (as amply demonstrated in this very thread) makes me reluctant to ask folk who work in there about guitars. It would make me feel like the dude in Hi Fidelity who goes in asking for a copy of 'I Just Called To Say I Love You'. So I thought I'd ask here.

Jamie and Billy are two of the least patronising people i know. Both would be perfectly happy talking to you about those guitars.

I have a Squier Strat in sunburst with a maple neck at home that does nowt. You can have that cheap. I don't know what price would be reasonable, any ideas, cheap guitar experts?

Or if anyone else fancies it give me a shout! It's in great nick, been sitting in a gig bag almost permanently for the past near 20 years....

50 quid?

I'm a bit of an advocate of saving up money for a better quality second hand guitar.

Perhaps a Japanese or Mexican Strat?

Ibanez RG550 or similar?

I'd suggest it's a bit of a lottery at the beginner market for guitars although most things I've came across have been quite playable. A good practice amp, such as Roland Microcube will make a big difference also. An electronic tuner is also a worthwhile investment as you can't really play a guitar that's not in tune.

Aye, if I was twelve, I wouldn't want any of that Indonesian made shite. And if it's a toploader, it can get fucked as well. If My mum hadn't have put it in for a good set up first, with low action and skinny tops/heavy bottoms, I'd have cried until I got a new one. What's this mum, crackly tone pot? What the fuck are you playing at?

But that's just me, if I was twelve.

Aye, if I was twelve, I wouldn't want any of that Indonesian made shite. And if it's a toploader, it can get fucked as well. If My mum hadn't have put it in for a good set up first, with low action and skinny tops/heavy bottoms, I'd have cried until I got a new one. What's this mum, crackly tone pot? What the fuck are you playing at?

But that's just me, if I was twelve.

"You must spread..."

Guest idol_wild
Jamie and Billy are two of the least patronising people i know. Both would be perfectly happy talking to you about those guitars.

I have bought things from the Bruce Millers music section, purely because of Jamie. That guy is an absolute gentleman, and completely clued up.

R n B, however, is a shop in which I will never buy anything ever again, following an incident when I bought my first proper guitar. It really did come across as that Hi Fidelity moment. Sad times.

I have bought things from the Bruce Millers music section, purely because of Jamie. That guy is an absolute gentleman, and completely clued up.

Which ones Jamie?

I really want to try and give guitar a bash again. I wish I had the benefit of this thread when I bought a Squier Strat as a novice. I would have went for a Tele instead. I really like how a Tele looks. The black and chrome ones in Bruce Millers are pushing my buttons.

Pity my lack of playing ability combined with my tree frog-like, bap-ended fingers will no doubt lead me to put it away in the cupboard again should I purchase...

Guest idol_wild
Which ones Jamie?

I really want to try and give guitar a bash again. I wish I had the benefit of this thread when I bought a Squier Strat as a novice. I would have went for a Tele instead. I really like how a Tele looks. The black and chrome ones in Bruce Millers are pushing my buttons.

Pity my lack of playing ability combined with my tree frog-like, bap-ended fingers will no doubt lead me to put it away in the cupboard again should I purchase...

My lack of playing ability doesn't stop me.

Jamie is the pleasant chap, usually found out the actual guitar counter itself, sporting very ginger hair. Good guy, very knowledgable, and very approachable.

R n B, however, is a shop in which I will never buy anything ever again, following an incident when I bought my first proper guitar. It really did come across as that Hi Fidelity moment. Sad times.

I agree. I've been served by a couple of people in the guitar dept there, and they have both been incredibly friendly and helpful.

There's one or two at RnB that are equally helpful and friendly too, but there's one in particular that I just can't stand, and everytime I've been in and asked for advice or anything, I've been made to feel like a naughty child by him.