aberdeen-music

Rage for Xmas number 1?

timson

FUKK U I W0NT DO0O W0T U TELL MEE3E !!!1!11! Th1s w1ll be uber-rad n3xt y3ar: Limp Bizkit's 'Rollin' For 2010 Xmas No. 1 | Facebook

See this is what I feared. Next year will be a mess of ironic, post-ironic or just plain stupid Facebook groups vying to be the 'alternative' choice.

It's a good thing that the point was proved, the 'people' spoke and stood up to the seemingly inevitable, but we may have just replaced it with something equally as inevitable. "Cowell vs Facebook".

Would be nice if one year, the number one single sold the most because people just liked it.

• Upvote 1

I have to be honest and say my original cynicism has been replaced by a genuine happiness that RATM are Christmas No.1.

It's all too easy to be cool, detached and sarcastic about it, but I would much rather that Killing In The Name was number 1 than that truly terrible Climb song. The way I see it is that, two charities have benefitted significantly, Cowell and X Factor have had an (albeit small in the grand scheme of things) reminder that they cannot claim universal popularity, and over half a million people who would not normally give a flying fuck about the charts have made their point.

Yes, next year might be awful as a result, but I for one will enjoy going home to my folks' house for Christmas and hearing them complain about that awful rock song with the swearing that stopped the nice boy off the telly being number 1.

Ho ho ho.

• Upvote 2

See this is what I feared. Next year will be a mess of ironic, post-ironic or just plain stupid Facebook groups vying to be the 'alternative' choice.

It's a good thing that the point was proved, the 'people' spoke and stood up to the seemingly inevitable, but we may have just replaced it with something equally as inevitable. "Cowell vs Facebook".

Would be nice if one year, the number one single sold the most because people just liked it.

Well put. There must have been a credible, good single released recently that could have been championed, surely? The Rage song won partly on a combination of irony and nostalgia, which are pretty much the warm, fuzzy feelings for late teens/twenty-somethings.

The only way in which this campaign has affected me is that I have heard snippets of Joe McElderry's single on the news where I would have otherwise not been exposed to it. Now it is etched on my eardrums for all eternity.

Always gonna be another mountain,

always gonna be a ne ne climb

always gonna da da da da da da

da da da da da waitin on the other side

More hilarious quotes from that site:

"The charts will have been contacted by the goverment and ordered to make Joe number 1"

Don't forget the crucial follow up line to that...'or public order could just have been destroyed for life in this country.' cue the great Joe McThingy riots of 2009, fuck yer G8, be there!!

Not enough fuckin' perspective.

I have to be honest and say my original cynicism has been replaced by a genuine happiness that RATM are Christmas No.1.

It's all too easy to be cool, detached and sarcastic about it, but I would much rather that Killing In The Name was number 1 than that truly terrible Climb song. The way I see it is that, two charities have benefitted significantly, Cowell and X Factor have had an (albeit small in the grand scheme of things) reminder that they cannot claim universal popularity, and over half a million people who would not normally give a flying fuck about the charts have made their point.

Yes, next year might be awful as a result, but I for one will enjoy going home to my folks' house for Christmas and hearing them complain about that awful rock song with the swearing that stopped the nice boy off the telly being number 1.

Ho ho ho.

Rep given. A fine post:up:

This has all lead me to realise that I don't give a fuck what is No 1, at any time of the year, any year. Why the fuck does anybody? It doesn't fucking matter.

I said that to some random in Moshulu on who approached me on Friday night. He could not understand why I didn't care who was number 1. My point was that the charts have no effect on the music that I enjoy listening to, so it doesn't matter to me. Joe Mcwhatshisname being at number 1 or Rage getting there doesn't mean that I can't pop on a Pelican or Decemberists album any more.

Had to laugh at Walsh's nonsense, he probably thinks RATM are a new band and that's their only song. Lord Kareoke with be Joe Who in 2 years time, whereas RATM have had a long career in the industry and could even go on hiatus for 8 years. The usual garbage which comes out The X Factor stable, they say this about every artist how they're gonna have a long and distinguished career yet most don't reach the second album.

I said that to some random in Moshulu on who approached me on Friday night. He could not understand why I didn't care who was number 1. My point was that the charts have no effect on the music that I enjoy listening to, so it doesn't matter to me. Joe Mcwhatshisname being at number 1 or Rage getting there doesn't mean that I can't pop on a Pelican or Decemberists album any more.

It's just a bit of fun, saying stuff like this just makes you come across like a holier than thou indie-kid cobnobbler.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

It's a cracking tune - the rest of the top ten was utter pap.

Edit: except Lady Gaga of course!

i heard it, still dont know what all the fuss is about! she's got some schnoz on her eh?

if anyone is arsed:

- with video. full version of the song

YouTube - Rage Against the Machine LIVE - BBC Radio 5 Live - ZACK DE LA ROCHA SAYS F*CK 'ON' AIR!! - version with the dj cutting it off and telling you to buy joe's cd instead - wtf did they expect?

• 2 weeks later...
YouTube - Rage Against the Machine LIVE - BBC Radio 5 Live - ZACK DE LA ROCHA SAYS F*CK 'ON' AIR!! - version with the dj cutting it off and telling you to buy joe's cd instead - wtf did they expect?

They probably expected (and asked prior to performance) a band that is being broadcast to the general public (including children) mid-morning not to say 'fuck' on air a bunch of times.