aberdeen-music

Rage for Xmas number 1?

timson

even if RATM gets to number one there's no way it will stay there, when Steve 'available for weddings, discos and buffets' Brookstein won the first competition in 2004, Band Aid 20 was the xmas number one and Brookstein hit top spot the week after. So Joe could quite easily still have a number one on his hands just not the Christmas one.

I think its fantastic we're all discussing the christmas number one, yes steeped in a bit of nostalgia here but I can't remember the last time I was actually quite excited about the charts!

So we're agreed that using a powerful marketing machine (TV Programme) to influence consumers and manipulate sales to get a particular artist to be the highest selling act of a particular week, for reasons entirely unconnected to the relative merits of the actual music produced, is wrong.

And of course, using a powerful marketing machine (Social Networking site) to influence consumers and manipulate sales to get a particular artist to be the highest selling act of a particular week, for reasons entirely unconnected to the relative merits of the actual music produced, is right.

I get the feeling no-one's really winning here...

I agree with Alkaline......

As good as they may be.... trying to get RATM to number 1, to spite an X Factor winners single IS a nasty piece of manipulation....

Market forces an all that??

The most bought, hence popular, SHOULD be the No 1, be that Joe, or no!

and under normal circumstances, without this campaign, that would NOT be RATM

Why support a talentless monopoly? Is it not good to question the entire ethics?

Of course, some people may really enjoy Joe's song... great, go and buy it!

However, as a country we're force fed the same old shit year after year. It's not so bad that a band is questioning it.

I can see why the RATM campaign is cringeworthy. Going back to the smelly metal mentality but TBH who in their right minds consider Joe as a talent? Yes he can sing, Yes, he works hard but can he write a decent song, can he fuck. I don't even like the RATM song that much but I applaud the principle (not in a "fuck the shit system" kind of way)

Of course we can't change the public perception regarding music. Why bother! Rage is hardly a great example.That's not the point though.............

Cowell continues to get his knickers in a twist!

TV - News - Simon Cowell Blasts BBC

Tabloid pish article. As soon as I read about someone or something being "blasted" or "slammed" followed by the old "a source close to" a little switch in my head just stops taking any information in.

Simon Cowell is fucking loving this, loads of publicity and it's absolutely free. His single is selling like hotcakes even if it is "only number 2" he's still coining it in and he will be until the next batch of faceless pissweasels line up to be his bitch again next year.

I still quite like the RATM thing, at least some of the money will be going to a worthy cause from the band, I think that's only about 5p per track sold that goes to them.

Why support a talentless monopoly? Is it not good to question the entire ethics?

The guy is talented though. He has a good vocal range and he's a fairly decent performer. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean that other people can't, christ the guy can sing better than you and I combined Scott. Nobody is putting a gun to anyones head to say that they have to buy the X Factor single. People are buying it because they like it. Isn't that the point of music?

There has been odious shite at number one for the other 48 weeks of the year, why does this one matter so much? It's only another fucking week. Record companies making money from artists like Joe gives them a little more leg room for taking chances with other musical acts that you might actually like. You could argue that point 'til you're blue in the face but it'd still be right.

This is encouraging people to not support music they like equally as much as it is in some peoples eyes.

list of christmas number ones past

1 1952 Al Martino Here In My Heart

2 1953 Frankie Laine Answer Me

3 1954 Winifred Atwell Let's Have Another Party

4 1955 Dickie Valentine Christmas Alphabet

5 1956 Johnnie Ray Just Walkin' In The Rain

6 1957 Harry Belafonte Mary's Boy Child

7 1958 Conway Twitty It's Only Make Believe

8 1959 Emile Ford & The Checkmates What Do You Want To Make Those Eyes At Me For

9 1960 Cliff Richard & The Shadows I Love You

10 1961 Danny Williams Moon River

11 1962 Elvis Presley Return To Sender

12 1963 The Beatles I Want To Hold Your Hand

13 1964 The Beatles I Feel Fine

14 1965 The Beatles Day Tripper / We Can Work It Out

15 1966 Tom Jones The Green Grass Of Home

16 1967 The Beatles Hello Goodbye

17 1968 Scaffold Lily The Pink

18 1969 Rolf Harris Two Little Boys

19 1970 Dave Edmunds I Hear You Knockin'

20 1971 Benny Hill Ernie (The Fastest Milkman In The West)

21 1972 Little Jimmy Osmond Long Haired Lover From Liverpool

22 1973 Slade Merry Xmas Everybody

23 1974 Mud Lonely This Christmas

24 1975 Queen Bohemian Rhapsody

25 1976 Johnny Mathis When A Child Is Born (Soleado)

26 1977 Wings Mull Of Kintyre / Girls' School

27 1978 Boney M Mary's Boy Child-Oh My Lord

28 1979 Pink Floyd Another Brick In The Wall

29 1980 St Winifred's School Choir There's No One Quite Like Grandma

30 1981 The Human League Don't You Want Me

31 1982 Renee & Renato Save Your Love

32 1983 The Flying Pickets Only You

33 1984 Band Aid Do They Know It's Christmas?

34 1985 Shakin' Stevens Merry Christmas Everyone

35 1986 Jackie Wilson Reet Petite

36 1987 The Pet Shop Boys Always On My Mind

37 1988 Cliff Richard Mistletoe & Wine

38 1989 Band Aid II Do They Know It's Christmas?

39 1990 Cliff Richard Saviours' Day

40 1991 Queen Bohemian Rhapsody / These Are The Days Of Our Lives

41 1992 Whitney Houston I Will Always Love You

42 1993 Mr Blobby Mr Blobby

43 1994 East 17 Stay Another Day

44 1995 Michael Jackson Earth Song

45 1996 Spice Girls 2 Become 1

46 1997 Spice Girls Too Much

47 1998 Spice Girls Goodbye

48 1999 Westlife I Have A Dream / Seasons In The Sun

49 2000 Bob The Builder Can We Fix It?

50 2001 Robbie Williams & Nicole Kidman Somethin' Stupid

51 2002 Girls Aloud Sound Of The Underground

52 2003 Michael Andrews featuring Gary Jules Mad World

53 2004 Band Aid 20 Do They Know It's Christmas?

54 2005 Shayne Ward That's My Goal

55 2006 Leona Lewis A Moment Like This

56 2007 Leon Jackson When You Believe

57 2008 Alexandra Burke Hallelujah

some decent stuff in there like human league, beatles and pink floyd but a lot of tat. One of my fave xmas number ones is on the telly at the moment - East 17 stay another day. I'll get me coat of course!

So we're agreed that using a powerful marketing machine (TV Programme) to influence consumers and manipulate sales to get a particular artist to be the highest selling act of a particular week, for reasons entirely unconnected to the relative merits of the actual music produced, is wrong.

And of course, using a powerful marketing machine (Social Networking site) to influence consumers and manipulate sales to get a particular artist to be the highest selling act of a particular week, for reasons entirely unconnected to the relative merits of the actual music produced, is right.

I get the feeling no-one's really winning here...

all i know are these simple facts:

1. i hate the x factor

2. i love rage

3. i want rage fr xmas number one and not cowells latest protege

(actually thats not all i know but thats the meat and potatoes of it)

last day folks, get it before midnight. 99p on itunes

Buy Rage Against The Machine's Killing In The Name Today! - GIGWISE

The guy is talented though. He has a good vocal range and he's a fairly decent performer. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean that other people can't, christ the guy can sing better than you and I combined Scott. Nobody is putting a gun to anyones head to say that they have to buy the X Factor single. People are buying it because they like it. Isn't that the point of music?

There has been odious shite at number one for the other 48 weeks of the year, why does this one matter so much? It's only another fucking week. Record companies making money from artists like Joe gives them a little more leg room for taking chances with other musical acts that you might actually like. You could argue that point 'til you're blue in the face but it'd still be right.

This is encouraging people to not support music they like equally as much as it is in some peoples eyes.

Indeed has does have a bit of talent i.e. the ability to sing well.

I'm sure there are thousands of other people in the UK who can do the same though.

Totally agree he can sing better than us although I think I have a wider vocal range (no, nobody start to think I'm better or any of that shite, I am not a good singer at all)

Interesting point about labels making money so they can take chances with musical acts that I like. One part of me disagrees, I could say that I have been denied listening to a number 1 Xmas song that I enjoy since "Mad World". Mind you, I don't care too much, I can whack on an Ulver or Devin Townsend album whenever I want really. Another part agrees, money can increase the power of a label. Cradle of Filth had a brush with Sony and Devy has had recent flirts with EMI.