aberdeen-music

Rage for Xmas number 1?

timson

Wirelessly posted (LG-GC900/V10a Obigo/WAP2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

The amazon ones don't count. If it costs less than 40p it doesn't count towards the charts. True story.

False story full of lies. The retailer has to pay a 40p licence fee to the label for it to count. If Amazon choose to sell it for less, that is their deal.

The 29p track counts towards the sales.

:up:

Guest Gladstone
Ace publicity for their radio show.

Exactly.

I'm now becoming a bit sad that everyone's buying all this anti-establishment shit now.

RATM are being used as a pawn by the Sony dudes, the X Factor dudes and now even the BBC to generate interest/publicity etc. RATM probably know this and aren't overly bothered because their publicity is being massively increased as well.

I'm not really one for going against the establishment or any of that stuff, but this all smacks of RATM "selling out" which makes an utter nonsense of what they claim to be doing.

(in my opinion)

I'm not really one for going against the establishment or any of that stuff, but this all smacks of RATM "selling out" which makes an utter nonsense of what they claim to be doing.

(in my opinion)

They already did that with the T in the Park footage. They refused to appear on the tv coverage as they "might" release a DVD and all of those people watching the BBC at the back of midnight whenever it was would dent their sales.

Cunts.

Anyone else remember that pic of RATM coming onstage and standing tackle oot with tape over their mouths? I can't recall the gist of the point they were trying to make, I'm sure it was very earnest though.

They should dig that pic out for some last minute promos.

Was that not their Guatanamo Bay protest? I could be wrong...

Exactly.

I'm now becoming a bit sad that everyone's buying all this anti-establishment shit now.

RATM are being used as a pawn by the Sony dudes, the X Factor dudes and now even the BBC to generate interest/publicity etc. RATM probably know this and aren't overly bothered because their publicity is being massively increased as well.

(in my opinion)

Rage Against The Machine are in no way in control of this little internet campaign though. This is a record they released a long time ago, and people have urged it to get to number 1. RATM aren't behind it, though they have endorsed it, claiming it to be a little hint of "anarchism".

However, Rage have always been on a major label since their debut, and they made videos and released singles. Played massive venues too. There's no way they could really sell themselves out, unless they did a reunion to write a song for the Republican party or something.

Exactly.

(in my opinion)

RATM have been doing that their entire career.

Cant they really be fucking the system when they actively let their albums sell in Wal Mart, one of the biggest US conglomerates? What happened to their ethics in the music once rage split up?

I'm assuming the reason RATM were chosen to boycott the Xfactor number one slot was because they have anti establishment ideals, but really they're just another version of the same thing, capitalising on inevitable confused emotions experienced being a teenager.

Guest Gladstone
Rage Against The Machine are in no way in control of this little internet campaign though. This is a record they released a long time ago, and people have urged it to get to number 1. RATM aren't behind it, though they have endorsed it, claiming it to be a little hint of "anarchism".

However, Rage have always been on a major label since their debut, and they made videos and released singles. Played massive venues too. There's no way they could really sell themselves out, unless they did a reunion to write a song for the Republican party or something.

I didn't say they're behind it, but I've got more than a sneaking suspicion that Sony is behind it. Has the X Factor single ever been spoken about this much? Everyone had pretty much resigned themselves to the boring fact that X Factor would be number 1 again, because that's just what happens these days, but this campaign has actually made the fight for Xmas number 1 a little more interesting, and everyone's speaking about it.

The thing that makes me really think this wasn't just some kid on Facebook is the national exposure his page got in a very short space of time. If I set up a Facebook page called "Rage Against the Machine for Number 1" and forwarded it to all my Facebook friends (something like 200 friends), I'd take a stab at something like 5 or 6 signing up to, and a few of them telling their friends about it. In a couple of weeks, I'd be surprised to have 100 members. This Facebook group got up to something ridiculous like 750,000 members. Membership obviously exploded when it hit the news, but how does one get their Facebook page into the news? Because you have lots of industry/media contacts perhaps? The sort of thing a Sony A&R guy would have perhaps?

Sony won't give a flying fuck if RATM beat the X Factor single to number 1 for obvious reasons. Add to the fact that buying the RATM single doesn't give the X Factor single "negative" sales - they will still sell at least the same amount of singles, but I would guess slightly more due to this campaign. Sony effectively doubles its Xmas singles sales because it sells the same amount of X Factor singles plus roughly the same number of RATM singles (a song released 17/18 years ago).

EDIT: It is an act of pure genius by whoever thought it up.

I didn't say they're behind it, but I've got more than a sneaking suspicion that Sony is behind it. Has the X Factor single ever been spoken about this much? Everyone had pretty much resigned themselves to the boring fact that X Factor would be number 1 again, because that's just what happens these days, but this campaign has actually made the fight for Xmas number 1 a little more interesting, and everyone's speaking about it.

The thing that makes me really think this wasn't just some kid on Facebook is the national exposure his page got in a very short space of time. If I set up a Facebook page called "Rage Against the Machine for Number 1" and forwarded it to all my Facebook friends (something like 200 friends), I'd take a stab at something like 5 or 6 signing up to, and a few of them telling their friends about it. In a couple of weeks, I'd be surprised to have 100 members. This Facebook group got up to something ridiculous like 750,000 members. Membership obviously exploded when it hit the news, but how does one get their Facebook page into the news? Because you have lots of industry/media contacts perhaps? The sort of thing a Sony A&R guy would have perhaps?

Sony won't give a flying fuck if RATM beat the X Factor single to number 1 for obvious reasons. Add to the fact that buying the RATM single doesn't give the X Factor single "negative" sales - they will still sell at least the same amount of singles, but I would guess slightly more due to this campaign. Sony effectively doubles its Xmas singles sales because it sells the same amount of X Factor singles plus roughly the same number of RATM singles (a song released 17/18 years ago).

EDIT: It is an act of pure genius by whoever thought it up.

I wouldn't necessarily say Sony are behind it, although they are undoubtedly rubbing they're hands together at the exposure this has got. Win - Win situation for them. I reckon it was a Facebook page that took off. I've had a few messages on Facebook about joining the group and about two or three emails. Very rarely, but every so often, a youtube video or a social networking campaign goes viral and gathers momentum and I think it was some punter set it up because he thought it would be funny to have a Xmas number one with the line "Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me". Regardless, you're right about what Sony are reaping from this. Increased sales, two acts at the top of the chart and huge amounts of publicity.

Anyway, fuck Joe 90 or whatever he's called...Rhydian was much better.

Of all the artists to pick why would sony pick RATM?,in the grand scheme of things I doubt the christmas number one doesnt get the label very much $$$ ( i may be way off with this).Would it not make more sense to get an artist that had really dropped off the radar the past couple of years or one with a slight bit more commercial appeal than RATM have in the long run for a potential comeback?.If sony were behind it would they not have put equal weight behind 3 or 4 songs to get even more folk interested in winning the christmas no.1 and get themselves even mor $$$?

It wouldn't make any sense for Sony to be behind this, at all. For a start, they'll be making fuck all money from RATM downloads (iTunes royalty rates are kinda akin to being mugged). Secondly, they'll be jeopardising one of their big cash cows (The X Factor franchise). They don't need more people to talk about it, as it's - until now - been a surefire chart topper.

I think you underestimate Rage Against the Machine's commercial appeal. They played T in the Park: they're not exactly Bad Brains.

I'm not.just look at the Sony artist list and you will find alot more artists who it would make more sense to do this with.it's a pointless discussion though as conspiracy theories are major LOLlypops.

I really hope this becomes a fesitive tradition, just for the slim possibility that we may have a Slayer/Public Enemy/Atari Teenage Riot 3-way battle for Christmas number one next year. Shiiit, maybe that's what the Mayans marked as the end of their calendar in 2012? 'She Watch Channel Zero!?' at number 1?