aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

I think they are good enough to reach the semis, but they aren't good enough to win it. They have a few superstars in their team but they have some pretty ordinary players in there as well. As always happens, if one of their star players gets injured, be it Rooney, Owen, Beckham or whoever, they'll fluff it.

They're unbeaten in qualifying, but you seen their group? Croatia, Ukraine, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Andorra. I'd expect them to be unbeaten so far.

What I think they should do, is bring only 4 strikers to the world cup. One with a broken metatarsal, one aged 16 who has never played for England and never get's off the bench, and one who gets stretchered off in the third game and doesn't play for a year. That worked so well for them last time... :laughing:

• Upvote 1

Milan:

Supercoppa Italiana: 1992, 1993, 1994

UEFA Champions League: 1993-94

European Super Cup: 1994

Roma:

Supercoppa Italiana: 2001

He's nae done that bad really ;)

The Supercoppa is a single one off game that nobody really gives a toss about. And given all the league titles he won and the quality of squads he had (going by reputation rather than knowledge for the early '90s), one Champions League and one Supercup really isn't a great record IMO.

The Supercoppa is a single one off game that nobody really gives a toss about. And given all the league titles he won and the quality of squads he had (going by reputation rather than knowledge for the early '90s), one Champions League and one Supercup really isn't a great record IMO.

He has the same record as Terry Venables for major competitions outside National Management and a better record than Graham Taylor, Glenn Hoddle, Howard Wilkinson, Kevin Keegan, Peter Taylor and Steve McLaren. The only people better placed domestically are Eriksson and Robson (arguably).

As far as his tenure as England manager goes (although i suppose we can't really judge as he's not taken part in a major tournament yet) he's got the best record in at least the last 63 years by a country mile.

It's early doors but i think he might possibly be one of the best managers England has had in a long time. I wouldn't be surprised if he can get a major title out of the current team, especially if he addresses any defensive frailties that they currently have.

I think they are good enough to reach the semis, but they aren't good enough to win it. They have a few superstars in their team but they have some pretty ordinary players in there as well. As always happens, if one of their star players gets injured, be it Rooney, Owen, Beckham or whoever, they'll fluff it.

They're unbeaten in qualifying, but you seen their group? Croatia, Ukraine, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Andorra. I'd expect them to be unbeaten so far.

What I think they should do, is bring only 4 strikers to the world cup. One with a broken metatarsal, one aged 16 who has never played for England and never get's off the bench, and one who gets stretchered off in the third game and doesn't play for a year. That worked so well for them last time... :laughing:

Beckham probably won't make it though, and Owen is shite.

I don't know. I think they have a much better chance next year than they've had in a long time. They've got a much better manager and a better group of players (remember when they were taking the likes of Nicky Barmby and Trevor Sinclair to major tournaments? Yikes), and let's not forget that Croatia looked a very impressive football up until about a year ago.

I'd be surprised if they don't make at least the semi's, but I wouldn't be surprised if they win it.

He has the same record as Terry Venables for major competitions outside National Management and a better record than Graham Taylor, Glenn Hoddle, Howard Wilkinson, Kevin Keegan, Peter Taylor and Steve McLaren. The only people better placed domestically are Eriksson and Robson (arguably).

As far as his tenure as England manager goes (although i suppose we can't really judge as he's not taken part in a major tournament yet) he's got the best record in at least the last 63 years by a country mile.

It's early doors but i think he might possibly be one of the best managers England has had in a long time. I wouldn't be surprised if he can get a major title out of the current team, especially if he addresses any defensive frailties that they currently have.

I wasn't comparing him to any other England manager. It goes without saying that he's a better manager than all/most of them since he's not English.

My point is purely that, based on his record in club football, his success in a league format won't necessarily carry over into a knockout competition.

Anyway, I'm just trying to comfort myself with as many logical reasons why England won't win the World Cup as possible. And it would be just dandy if Maradona and Domenech would help me out a bit.

1 trophy since 1994? That's as many as Steve McClaren got at 'boro.

I see England being in the second tier of international football, sitting at the feet of Brazil, Spain, Holland and the mighty Honduras. Winning the thing is a possibility but not a likelihood. One thing that could be a factor is the nice cool winter climate that should be in residence over there. We'll see...

Argentina lost again, 2 games left (home to Peru, away to Uruguay) and they currently hold 5th place in the South America group which would see them playoff against the 4th placed CONCACAF team which is Costa Rica for now. It's a precarious 5th place 'n' all, Uruguay and Venezuela are 1 point behind with Columbia a further point back from them. Tasty.

It's rarely the all-out favourite that seems to win the World Cup, so I don't think England can be written off as not being strong enough just yet. The years when Brazil have been expected to take the piss, they have scuffed it. Looking at the Italy squad that won it in 2006, I don't think they were any stronger than the current England crop. As long as they don't switch off at the back, and both Capello and Benitez force a bit of defensive technique into Glen Johnson, then I think England could make it to the final, unless they are unlucky enough to draw Spain on the way. Holland, despite a 100% record, haven't looked that great this campaign. It took 2 defensive howlers for them to score past England, and another absolute shocker for the goal against Scotland.

I'm liking the prospect of a possible Portugal and France-less Finals.

I'll be quite satisfied if England can make it to the Quarter Finals. I think they currently have the best manager since Robson and if certain members of the squad can stay fit (and get fit) for the tournament then they will have every chance of making a good run.

The English media will build things up to soon expect the World Cup on a plate, but then that's the way it always is. It never fails to wind up everyone up here so I don't mind. :p

What's interesting to me at the moment is the number of high quality teams that might not even qualify for the competition. The likes of France, Portugal, Argentina and the Czech Republic are all struggling just to qualify.

I wasn't comparing him to any other England manager. It goes without saying that he's a better manager than all/most of them since he's not English.

My point is purely that, based on his record in club football, his success in a league format won't necessarily carry over into a knockout competition.

Anyway, I'm just trying to comfort myself with as many logical reasons why England won't win the World Cup as possible. And it would be just dandy if Maradona and Domenech would help me out a bit.

You and i both know that club football is a totally different kettle of fish to national football.

the thing that impresses me about capello is that he doesnt give a shit about the ridiculous media circus that surrounds the england team and just gets on with the job. now it wasnt the most difficult group in the world but both croatia and ukraine can be tricky opponents and he's done well to win 8 out 8. you cant write england off for the tournament mind, be interesting to see how capello copes if a result doesnt go his way. he seems cool as a cucumber mind.

it is interesting the amount of top nations who are struggling to qualify. at least on the post match phone in, alan green was actually playing down england's chances. its usually talksport who ham england up to the hilt, especially that peterboro united supporting tosser adrian durham.