aberdeen-music

Mmmmmm Om Nom Nom Nom

DJ Jo-D

My version of beef stew.

First i make the gravy for the stew, get 3/4 big carrots and a large white onion, grate the carrot and chop the onion, sweat it all down in a big pan with a nice bit of butter until it all starts going soft, add in about a quarter bottle of red wine and let the alcohol cook off. Add some boiling water ( i like to make far too much gravy so i can freeze it off and use it for weeks) and some beef stock and cook with the lid on for about 20 minutes. Then get a hand held blender and blend it all down like you were making soup. Empty that into a bowl and wipe the pan clean.

Next fry off your meat with another bit of onion, when brown add some flour into the pan to cover the meat, add in your gravy you made before and some chopped carrots and slow cook for about 2/3 hours, depending on what kind of meat your using. If its not thick enough at the end just add some gravy granules. You can also avoid using flour and just thicken it completely with gravy at the end, but i think that kinda defeats the purpose of making a nice gravy as the strongest flavour ends up being the bisto.

Boom.

Edited by The Milner

• 2 weeks later...

I made some really hot chili last night after drinking a lot of rum.

Ingredients:

Chicken (I like chicken chili, you can put in any meat,veg or pulses you want though)

1 tin chopped tomatoes

10 odd birds eye chili's (depends on on how hot you want it really)

3-4 odd teaspoons of chilli powder. I used Habanero powder from this kit but again adjust to your desired heat.

Couple squirts of Tabasco sauce

Bottle of beer (I used like 3/4 of a Newcastle Brown Ale)

1 Onion

Garlic (can't remember how many cloves, probably 2/3)

Little bit of Coca Cola

Stock cube

1 home measure of rum and coke

Note no kidney beans. This is because I'm not a massive fan but feel free to include!

Method

Chop and fry yer onion and 3-4 of the birds eyes with some butter in a pan.

After a couple of minutes fling in some coca cola and the garlic. Just enough to cover the bottom of your pan.

Pop the lid on and keep giving the odd stir until the coke has been absorbed then fire in your meat or veg of choice

Whilst the frying goes on combine the rest of the stuff  into a big bowl. I added the rum and coke at the end but that's because I only thought of it then. You can add it whenever you want. Chop the chili's up but leave a few in big-ish chunks for some excitement.

Once your meat/ veg has been browned/sealed/softened/whatever pour in the rest of the ingredients, give a good stir and stick the lid on the pan.

Let it simmer away for a decent length of time. I used an episode of man vs food as a sort of timer. Gave it a stir in the adverts, another stir when Richman began the wings challenge and then turned the heat off once the episode was finished.

This is where I left it last night as I'm planning on eating mine tonight.

However if you're making it to it eat it the same day this is the point where you should chuck your rice/whatever on.

Keep the pot of chili on a low heat whilst the rice boils. Once that's all done fire it onto a big plate and tuck in. I like chili with cheese, sour cream and some corn tortillas for scooping action.

Edited by Flights
  • Upvote 3

I think there was a specific drinks thread kicking about somewhere?  Will try to find.

I went through a rum phase recently but have shied away from it because most bars assume you want a spicy or white rum but I only really like gold rum.  Makes a really nice old fashioned.

Last night i had egg in a cup... Beautiful... 

4 eggs boiled

notch of butter (nae margarine as it has more than 80% fuckknows and 90% dangleberrys)

1 cup

put yer eggs in the cup add a notch of butter mash up (but not to much)

Eat and enjoy... Been years since i had it and i cant believe i waited so long to eat it again) .. It was Lush.

I was gonna have toasted soldiers but at 38 years old i started getting paranoid if this was a step closer to pedophilia .

• 3 weeks later...

I can't wait to cook dinner on Wednesday.

Starter:

Salmon fillet

Pea, broccoli and mint puree

Black pudding

Chorizo

Main:

Venison liver

Sprouts with bacon and walnuts

Eupraxia's infamous creamy mashed potato with thyme, sage and parsley

Dessert:

Lemon, lime, and thyme possetts

Glorious. The one thing I love about Christmas is my opportunity to cook for others. Om nom nom. I failed to fit any haggis in to the spread this year, but I am still excited.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I made hot wings. Again. They are my favourite:

1975109_10153894855960440_150133647_n.jp

I mixed the wings in a big bowl of flour, garlic salt, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, black pepper and dried parsley, and cooked until they were golden. Then brushed them all with a slither of hot sauce and cooked for another 10 minutes, so it soaked into the crispy coating. Then sloshed on even more hot sauce, and devoured the lot.

The hot sauce was pretty much a whole bottle of Frank's, fired up on the hob with a wad of butter, more black and cayenne pepper, and a couple of drops of other hot sauces. I put the rest of the hot sauce in the middle, with some garlic and herb dressing, for dunks. Served with a bowl of fries (not pictured) lashed in black and red pepper. Fire Fries, I call 'em. Salt sucks. Pepper FTW.

Top scran. Tomorrow's toilet visits will be violent and plentiful.
  • Upvote 2

• 5 months later...

Embdy been watching the Vice Munchies guide to Scotland?

Episode 5 was in Aberdeen. Classic buttery and pies + oil workers + Belmont Street revelry footage. Overall, you've got to say it doesn't paint a pretty picture of Scottish cuisine but it's entertaining. The hairdos of the guys in the 1st episode is worth a look.

http://munchies.vice.com/videos/munchies-guide-to-scotland-episode-five/