aberdeen-music

Mmmmmm Om Nom Nom Nom

DJ Jo-D

Some of those look great.

I've always wanted to try a Reuben, but you just don't get good pastrami over here. It's all super wafer thin and you get about 4 slices in a pack. You'd need about 5 packs to make one proper Reuben.

So true. I don't think I've ever seen real pastrami back home. I grew up thinking it was a dry meat like parma ham or proscuitto but it's more like a slab of roast beef. You should look into making your own, could be fun.

A most wonderful article was published last week: The 20 best Sandwiches in Brooklyn.

http://www.bkmag.com/2013/10/01/the-20-best-sandwiches-in-20-brooklyn-neighborhoods/

Me and my other half are embarking on a mission to eat them all. First stop is tonight... MeltKraft in Park Slope to try their 'Melter Skelter'

"Raclette style cheese, Pickled green tomatoes, Jalapeno, BBQ potato chips, and Watercress"

I'll report back

The place was cool. It was kind of half-cheese shop, half-bar. Some nice beers on tap.

Ordered the sandwich with another grilled cheese with brisket in it.

Fairly disappointed. the cheese was supposed to be like raclette which ive had in the past and know is a strong pungent semi-hard that melts well and keeps its flavour. This cheese had good melted texture but none of the flavour. Couldnt pick out any of the other ingredients at all and the thing was so greasy I used about 10 napkins mopping my hands.

I noticed on the menu that you could pay an extra dollar to get the thing fried in duck fat. Thought that was funny... both fat fuck and middle class.

Overall 3/10. Bread was nice and crispy and the beer was cheap.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my chilli recipe:

500g lean minced beef.

Large tin of chopped tomatoes.

Small tin of kidney beans.

1/2 large onion, chopped.

2 crushed garlic cloves.

1 bottle of beer.

Tomato puree – either one of those wee tins or half a tube.

2 teaspoons cumin.

2 teaspoons of hot chilli powder or 3 teaspoons of mild chilli powder.

1 teaspoon of salt.

1 teaspoon of pepper.

Couple of pieces of dark chocolate.

Soften the onion in a decent sized pot, then add the mince and brown.

Add the garlic, cumin, chilli powder, salt and pepper and mix.

Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and beer and stir while bringing to boil.

Reduce the heat to a low simmer, cover the pan and cook for 50 minutes.

Drain and rinse kidney beans and add to the pan along with the chocolate and stir.

Cook for a further 15 minutes.

Once it’s ready, let it cool and store in fridge overnight.

Next day, reheat and serve with boiled rice.

It can be eaten straight away but it tastes f**king amazing leaving it for a day.

I must say, this thread is one of the best on here.

I've tried a few of the recipies, notably this ( someone posted a burger filled with cheese and that was pretty immense too ) and the hot wings one. Its a toss up between these 2 which is the best, think this just nudges it. Beer - chocolate - meat - chilli..............fucking hell.

Edited by fertuiee
  • Upvote 1

What beers do people use in their chillis? I've never been sure of what'll work or what will make it ungood.

Usually something dark, a doppelbock works well. I occasionally chuck in a nip of whisky instead.

Might post my recipe for vegan chilli later. I'm all about roasting sweet potatoes in chipotle and lime and chucking in loads of them.

Edited by girl anachronism

Righto, this is my recipe.  I make this for the acts that we put on at Laika Come Home, so this makes a heck of a lot of chilli.  Just scale back the quantities. Personally though, even I'm just making enough for the two of us for dinner, I still make loads and freeze the remainder, finding chilli in the freezer down the line when you need something to eat quickly is the best.  I used to live round the corner from Lupe Pinto's in Glasgow, so always used to use their dried beans. Obviously if you're doing this you need to make sure you soak them overnight and make sure you boil the kidney beans for long enough to kill off the lectins, or you'll be in for a nasty surprise later!  I find I'm a bit lazy for this these days so tend just to use canned.  As I usually make this for a lot of people, I tend not to make it quite as hot as I usually like, so just adust if you like it hotter.  Also, once cooked, I like to leave this to simmer on a low heat for an hour or so and then leave sitting overnight to eat the next day, as it always tastes better when the flavours have had time to run through, so I tend to use a heavy-bottomed saucepan with a lid.

Pre-heat your oven to 180C.

Dice 3-4 decent sized sweet potatoes and chop up a couple of peppers (any colour) and a couple of cloves of garlic.  Pop them in a roasting dish and drizzle with a little olive oil.  Add a couple of teaspoons of chipotle-lime cooking paste, you can get this in Sainsbury's and Asda.  If I don't have any of this in, I tend to cover the veg in smoked paprika and the juice of half a lime instead, does the job nearly as well.  Stir, then pop in the oven and roast until the sweet potatoes soften.

Meanwhile- heat some oil in the pan, finely chop a large onion, a handful of birdseye chillis, crush in 4-5 cloves of garlic and fry until golden. 

Add three 400g cans of chopped tomatoes, crumble in a vegetable stock cube, some black pepper, a very generous shake of cayenne pepper, three tablespoons of hot chilli powder, another few of smoked paprika and a teaspoon of ground cumin and simmer for a minute or two.

Add the beans, you can use any mix you fancy, I tend to go for two large cans of red kidney beans, a can of black eye beans, a can of pinto beans, a can of butter beans and a can of chickpeas.

Add the zest and juice of half a lime, a couple of tablespoons of creamed coconut, a small bottle of dark beer/ale (I use doppelbock, but any sort of dark stout or porter with a slight bitterness or chocolate undertone will do), half a bar of dark chocolate and half a jar of chopped jalapenos.  Turn up the heat to bring the beans just to the boil and evaporate off some of the excess liquid. If I have it in the flat, I like to generous glug of whisky, usually an Islay for a bit of extra smokiness.

Remove the veg from the oven and stir in.  Simmer on a low-medium heat for an hour or so, then leave to stand overnight. 

Usually, for ease of eating at venues without cutlery, I tend to make burritos.  Lightly brush tortillas with a little olive oil, add the chilli, a little salsa, hot sauce and some guacamole, crumble in a handful of tortilla chips, wrap and stick under the grill for 5-10 minutes until the tortilla is browned and crispy.  They're good hot or cold. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

My Sauce For Wings As Of Last Week: put a fuckload of your favourite hot pepper sauce in a bowl, melt up some butter and throw it in along with smoked paprika, cayenne, white vinegar and some dark brown sugar.

I sometimes throw in some lime juice as well, I think it works but it might be taking things too far. I don't know.

Chili was a winner. First thing I've ever tried from the thread and very happy with it. 

Are there any other recipes worth my going back in this thread to find? A best of Mmmmmmmm Om Nom collection would be nice.

I would seriously have a go at the wings recipie above, it is ever so slightly amazing.