aberdeen-music

Mmmmmm Om Nom Nom Nom

DJ Jo-D

I made an amazingly easy dinner last night and would thoroughly recommend it to all.

Cut up half a red pepper into cubes

Thinly slice a bunch of spring onions

Mince 2 fat garlic cloves

leave all that on the cutting board ready for action

take a half pound of Sirloin steak and cut into inch thick strips

season the fuckers

whack them into a piping hot pan or wok with a bit of olive oil

brown for about 3 mins

throw in the pepper

continue cooking for about 3-4 mins

put in a bowl to the side

mix the following in another bowl:

tablespoon of thai fish sauce

tablespoon of sugar

juice of 1 lime

a dollop of sweet chilli sauce

the minced garlic

the spring onions

Mix that bitch up

Toss in with the steak

Serve on whatever you fancy - I wrapped the mixture with lettuce coz i'm healthy and that but it'd go well in a wrap or on rice or noodles.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
I'm well into this thread. Has anyone got any decent chilli recipes? It's one of my favourite things to make (because it's so bleedin' easy), but I'm incredibly bored of my own recipe.

Here's my chilli recipe:

500g lean beef mince

Kidney beans

1 large onion finely chopped

4 garlic cloves, crushed

2 chillies finely chopped (including the seeds)

1 jar of passata (not the kind with added herbs or salt)

Tomato purée

Oregano

Cumin

Crushed coriander seed

Bay leaf

1 glass red wine

Worcestershire sauce

1 oxo cube (I know, I know…)

Pinch of sugar

salt and pepper

In a large pot soften the onion over a medium heat, then add the mince and brown.

Squeeze two teaspoons of tomato purée into the pan, stir it in and let it cook out for a few minutes to reduce the bitterness.

Crumble in the oxo cube then add the garlic and chilli.

Season with some salt and a lot of pepper, a pinch of sugar and a couple of teaspoons of oregano, cumin and one teaspoon of crushed coriander seeds.

Add a splash of Worcestershire sauce and the red wine, stir everything up and let the wine cook off a little before pouring in the jar of passata.

Reduce the heat to a low simmer, cover the pan and cook for 45 minutes.

Drain and rinse the kidney beans then add them to the pan.

Cook for a further half an hour to 45 minutes until the chilli has thickened up.

Check the seasoning and the heat. If it’s not hot enough add some dried chilli flakes or some tabasco to ramp it up a bit.

Once it’s ready serve it with some boiled rice, but it’s much better with all the fun extras like guacamole, sour cream and salsa wrapped in a tortilla or served in tacos.

• Upvote 1

Here's my chilli recipe, it's a fucking winner:

500g beef. cheap cuts are good, we're gonna cook this long.

Kidney beans (sometimes i substitute baked beans, also awesome)

1 large onion finely chopped

4 garlic cloves, crushed

2 chipotle chillies finely chopped (including the seeds)

2 tins of chopped tomatoes

Tomato purée

a good squeeze of ketchup

Oregano

Basil

Cumin

Bay leaf

A good glug of 5am saint

Worcestershire sauce

1 beef stock pot

a spoonfull of cocoa powder of a few blocks of good dark chocolate

salt and pepper

Get your pan hot, fry your onions and garlic with butter and oil till they start to caramalise, then put them on a plate to the side. Season the meat and Brown the chunks of beef then add the onions and a good sqeeze of puree. Cook that off a bit and add a good glug of 5am Saint. Let that reduce and soak into the beef and chuck in the tomatoes, kidney beans, herbs and chillis. Splash of Wourcestershire sauce, good squeeze of ketchup and once it's hot add the stock pot and stir through. You want to reduce the heat so it's cooking on a low heat for a good couple of hours (the longer the better, all day on a low low heat is perfect). After an hour or so add the cocoa/chocolate and watch it turn a beautiful rich brown. Check spicyness, add some cayenne pepper if needed and season as needed.

This is great in a slow cooker as well. You can also do it with a cornbread topping for added awesome. If you can't get chipotle chillis substitute with smoked paprika and cayenne pepper, but chipotle's are best.

You can also try adding other stuff like hot dogs or bacon. A friend of mine swears by adding sweetcorn too.

Don't add too much soured cream when you serve as it'll take out a lot of the heat. Guacamole is great and obviously some nachos. Grate some gouda over the top for melty bliss.

• Upvote 1

Authentic chilli has dark chocolate in it, apparently.

Bollocks. Though if we're going to start talking about authentic then we should ditch the tomatoes and kidney beans as well.

The ever excellent Felicity Cloake has a good overview of different chilli styles:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/may/12/cook-perfect-chilli-con-carne

IMHO, some good cocoa powder beats Worcestershire sauce hands down in a chilli. The mention of sweetcorn also brought flashbacks of the chilli con carne and chips from the Belmont chipper that I once bought before a gig at Drummonds and promptly threw up all over my shoes.

Anyway, if you want to go really un-authentic the chilli con carne meatball recipe from the newest Jamie Oliver series is actually pretty rad, though I tweaked it a bit when I made it.