4 teaspoons instant coffee

2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon bicarb

4 eggs

1-2 15ml spoons milk

For the butter icing

350g icing sugar

175g butter

4 teaspoons instant coffee (more or less, depending on how strong you like it, 4 is pretty strong)

1 pack Minstrels

You will need 2 x 20cm sandwich tins.

1 - Preheat oven to 180. Butter the sandwich tins and line with baking parchment / greaseproof paper

2 - In a large bowl, mix together the butter, flour, coffee powder, baking powder, bicarb and eggs. Once this is smooth, add the milk.

3 - Separate it evenly between the two tins. Bake for 20-25 minutes.

4 - Remove from tins. Cool for 10 minutes. Cut the raised tops off and eat them.

5 - Now the icing. Mix together the icing sugar and butter and beat until smooth. Dissolve the coffee in a tiny splash of boiling water (a couple of dessert spoons worth) and mix this in. This should taste like the best thing you've ever tasted. If it doesn't, you did something wrong.

6 - Slather the icing liberally in between the two halves. Smoosh. Cover the top and sides and smooth it as smoothly as you possibly can. Once you fuck this up, ask your girlfriend to do it. Put the Minstrels in a tough freezer bag and smash the everloving shit out of them with a rolling pin (or a blender if you have one). Sprinkle this on top.

Last night I made Mac and Cheese. I did it the usual way - boil the pasta, make the cheese sauce, mix together, slap it in an oven dish, cover it in cheese, melt under the grill for 5 minutes - but before I grilled it, I pulsed a packet of cheesy Doritos down to breadcrumbs in the food processor, and sprinkled that on top, then whacked it all under the grill. Shit on my face that was good. Gave it a yummy crispy topping and a super cheesy flavour. Unorthodox, but highly recommended.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
And probably doesn't sprinkle crisps on stuff.

I'd sprinkle crisps on her stuff.

I see she's lost some pounds, boo-urns.

Anyway, I made a "korma" a while back. First time ever. I'm not that great of a fan, I prefer more spice, but the girlfriend has the opposite opinion. So I took a basic Korma recipe, minused the chicken in favour for more veg and just buggered about. It tasted REALLY FINE. But the only problem was I used too much stock. And by the time I though of flour the thicken in, I was too hungry and just gave up cooking. Anyway, even though it tasted great, it looked like this:

247659_10151051707863155_603918142_n.jpg

Anyway, I made a "korma" a while back. First time ever. I'm not that great of a fan, I prefer more spice, but the girlfriend has the opposite opinion. So I took a basic Korma recipe, minused the chicken in favour for more veg and just buggered about. It tasted REALLY FINE. But the only problem was I used too much stock. And by the time I though of flour the thicken in, I was too hungry and just gave up cooking. Anyway, even though it tasted great, it looked like this:

247659_10151051707863155_603918142_n.jpg

My worst ever vomit looked kind of like that (replace the naan for a bit of blood though).

• Upvote 3

Korma. No meat.

• Upvote 1

I made massive burgers. I couldn't fit it in my mouth. That's what she said.

525089_10152218243800440_1204791925_n.jpg

For the patties, I got some Aberdeen Angus steak mince, which was top drawer, and mixed in some Parmesan, sundried tomato pesto, along with some basil leaves and onion which I mashed up in a pestle and mortar, and held it together with a beaten egg and breadcrumbs. Served with Coleslaw, Lettuce, Tomato and Gherkins on the bottom, then a slice of Gouda cheese, Onion Rings and topped off with some home made sauce consisting of 4 parts Mayo, 1 part Ketchup, Smoked Paprika, Black Pepper and some leftover crushed Basil and Onion. The sauce was immense. So good that I'm going to make a load of it and put it in a jar and have it with chips all the time. It's banging.

Chips and cheese on the side and some more onion rings (which are around the back of the giant burger).

Christ. Stuffed as fuck. Movement is going to be an issue tonight. It's getting bigger inside me. That's what she said.

• Upvote 3

Nearly every burger recipe I looked at said to use a beaten egg and breadcrumbs.

The ones that didn't were right. You don't need egg to bind the meat and the breadcrumbs are just a way of making more burger with less meat. You're also sacrificing texture and flavour. If you squash the patties together and just leave them in the fridge for 15 minutes before using them they should stick together on their own. For your burger you had parmesan and pesto in it as well which would have added moisture which would help binding too.