aberdeen-music

Mmmmmm Om Nom Nom Nom

DJ Jo-D

• 4 weeks later...
I made a sandwich and it was delicious so I thought I'd share:

Pastrami + sliced corned beef + jarlsberg cheese (melted under the grill) topped with sliced pickled gherkins on a huge slab of seed-filled rye bread.

I've never been so happy about a sandwich.

My excuse of a cheese toastie has got wet with tears when i read this

• Upvote 1

I made a sandwich and it was delicious so I thought I'd share:

Pastrami + sliced corned beef + jarlsberg cheese (melted under the grill) topped with sliced pickled gherkins on a huge slab of seed-filled rye bread.

I've never been so happy about a sandwich.

You got that off Man vs. Food didn't you?

Sandwich9web.jpg

I've eaten one of the man vs food pastrami on ryes. It's fucking amazing. Look at it! I'd never eaten a sandwich over two days untill then. I'd eaten pastrami before but it had always been that thin sliced kind you get next to the proscuitto in supermarkets, not the juicy chunky stuff. I swear if I ever moved back to Aberdeen i'd open a proper deli serving proper meat. Who doesn't love a big fuck-off sandwich?!

• Upvote 1

Sandwich9web.jpg

I've eaten one of the man vs food pastrami on ryes. It's fucking amazing. Look at it! I'd never eaten a sandwich over two days untill then. I'd eaten pastrami before but it had always been that thin sliced kind you get next to the proscuitto in supermarkets, not the juicy chunky stuff. I swear if I ever moved back to Aberdeen i'd open a proper deli serving proper meat. Who doesn't love a big fuck-off sandwich?!

How do you even approach eating something like that? Take half the meat out and save it for tomorrow's sandwich?

How do you even approach eating something like that? Take half the meat out and save it for tomorrow's sandwich?

I was just thinking that. Absolute mountain of food. Good condiments post on the last page. My flatmate used to have this T-shirt:

bustedtees.24e7bf26-da79-4cc4-82d8-cb3ca5a7.jpg

Our flat was always full of sauce, absolutely tonnes of bottles of stuff, very little actual food. I'm a sucker for a mixture of sweet chilli and soy sauce.

I make quite a lot of food and I consider myself a reasonable good cook. I never use recipes though and tend to get the most pleasure out of making stuff up, or at least doing my own take on a classic. Now, last night a made a curry, which is probably my favourite thing to make... I made it for a girl I had round and wanted to impress, and BY FUCKING GOD WAS IT GOOD?!?!

Most of it is pretty straight forward curry making, but I recommend you try something like it at home:

Ingredients:

3 Chicken breasts

1 red onion

1 pepper

~8-12 mushrooms

1 courgette

1 carrot

Hunners of tomatoes

Half a tub of coconut flavoured yoghurt

Mild chilli

Garam masala

Fresh or dried ginger

FRESH garlic

Cumin

Cayanne Pepper

A FUCKLOAD OF PARSLEY

Salt and peppa’

Marinade the chicken in a fuck-ton of salt and peppa’ for a good few hours before beginning.

1. Heat up some kind of oil (I used vegetable, just) and add sliced red onions to sauté for a couple of minutes with a reasonable serving of salt and pepper.

2. Once onions are smelling/looking fine, just throw that chicken right on in and brown it slightly (don’t cook it much yet)

3. Once the chicken is browned a smidgeon, add the pepper, mushrooms and courgette and stir that shit in until its looking nice and soft.

4. NOW add your spices to taste. I used a lot (maybe 2-3 teaspoons) of the mild chilli, garam masala and cumin whilst only using a modest (1 teaspoon) helping of ginger and cayenne.

5. Get that shit stirred in good and don’t fuck about before you put them tomatoes in

6. Once they are mixed in, give the sauce a good taste and add spice/salt to taste. You want it to be pretty hot at this stage, which will be mellowed later on in the process.

7. THE NEXT FEW STAGES ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT

8. Add your shredded carrot, parsley and garlic to the mix. Stir it in and then leave the curry to simmer on a low heat.

9. Put your rice on (I used basmati)

10. About 5 minutes before the rice is done, add the yoghurt to the curry mix and stir in. Don’t be shy with it (I used about half a big tub).

11. Serve it all up once the rice is cooked

Now, what you get is an unbelievably well balanced curry. The carrot should have dissolved into the tomatoes leading to an amazing sweetness to the curry, alongside the masses of parsley and yogurt. The yoghurt brought a lot to the table. I’ve used natural yoghurt in curries before, but the coconutiness was extraordinary, so I recommend you get that. I guess you could use whatever spices you like, but it is important to get the thing pretty hot, probably hotter than you’d like it, to counteract it with the sweetness and get the balance right.

Apologies if this doesn’t make sense, I’ve never written out a recipe before. I strongly recommend you give it, or something like it, a bash though. Really easy and only takes 35 minutes.

EDIT: and then i smashed it.

• Upvote 4

• 5 months later...