aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

Guest Gladstone

Lucky - I heard recently that Ireland was potentially sitting on a shitload of oil reserves and they'll be looking to exploit it soon. You should look for exploration companies - should be jobs going.

Temping in the public sector - like everyone else said, don't do it (well unless there's fuck all else going). I did do it once, but was made permanent the moment I walked in the door because I'm fucking awesome, effectively. I only stayed for a year though because it turned out that working there was absolutely balls and completely depressing. The only other time I temped was in a summer, labouring, in a fish market, in Torry. Sounds terrible, but it was a good summer job with loads of cash for a skint student. And I almost got my 6 pack back by the end of it with all the hard labour. That is but a distant memory now. I must not type hard enough or something.

Ireland doesn't sound like the easiest place to get a job at the moment either. What sort of thing are you after?

Anything. Literally anything. I applied for McDonalds this morning. Obviously ideally I'd like to get back into the data management sorta stuff I was doing in Aberdeen, but until then I'm trying just to get a temporary job in a shop or something, or in a hotel, something like that to keep the money coming in. Unfortunately having a few years working in office jobs works against me because any employer can see that I'm just applying for their job as a stopgap until something better comes up. And the officey jobs are hard to come by, especially since my background is Oil and Gas, which there isn't really much call for in Dublin. So the job hunting is going reaaaaal slow. The McJob idea isn't ideal, but I'm not too proud to do something like that, and there's no shame in earning an honest day's living :-)

Re temping, that would be ideal if anyone would FUCKING PHONE ME BACK.

What is terrible at my work is that it's flexi-time, but if you come in at 9am everyone makes terrible jokes (did you get the evening paper? Whatever that means). So, on Friday, to avoid this inane bullshit and the Banchory-Aberdeen traffic, I came in for 730. "How do you like that?" I thought as my tormentors arrived 30-45 minutes later, but the joke just turned into "Oh, he's obviously trying to get a pay rise or a promotion! Hey Moose, you fishing for a pay rise?!? guffaw." Then, when I went to leave at 4pm, it was: "half day today Moose?! guffaw."

I do like the people I work with though, they're just old and have rubbish senses of humour.

Do people at your work actually call you Moose?

Pet hate: When I accidentally yank my earphones out of my lugs. I don't know why this annoys me so much but it makes me go totally mental and do things like scream "CUNT" in the street. I'm strange.

• Upvote 1

Re temping, that would be ideal if anyone would FUCKING PHONE ME BACK.

Agencies need to be hassled. You gotta phone them and get in their face, as much of a dick as you may feel. Ringing them up a few times a week asking what jobs they've got coming in at the moment has much better results than sitting back and waiting for them to come to you. 9 times out of 10, they simply won't. The only one that ever has done for me is Thorpe Molloy, who were terrific and incredibly proactive for their clients. Most agencies encourage you to pester them to keep your name at the top of the lists. However, Manpower seemed to hate it when I called to ask what they had on offer and got a bit arsey. No harm in giving whatever agencies you're registered with a ring and saying "Oi, giz a job then?"

• Upvote 1

Unlikely but I hope Sykes get done for it this time after getting away with the last incident (http://drownedinsound.com/news/1847050-bring-me-the-head-of-the-person-that-did-this). Getting away with assault is ridiculous.

On a vaguely amusing note it's lucky that Jonah still has 2 unbroken fingers, as he can still play the songs. It only takes 2 fingers to hold a plectrum and do an open string breakdown....

Oly Sykes. What a prick. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/bring_me_the_horizon_attack_fan.html. What is it with british scene bands deciding to beat up their fans? The singer of Asking Alexandria did it this year as well, after turning up to a gig so wasted he couldn't even do his own songs.

Useless fact of the day, an ex member of Asking Alexandria has stayed at Teabags' house. I am not sure he is aware of this.