aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

My work has very limited parking spaces so only people with permits (team leaders and managers mainly) are allowed a permit to park in it, the rest of us have to pay 6 quid a day in the public car park down the road. Which I normally don't mind, but it's a fucking Saturday, the car park is empty, and security have still stuck a parking violation notice right in the middle of my windscreen. Cants. I'm fucked if I'm paying to park when there's an empty car park outside.

Also, older people who have no clue about technology buying iPhones that they can't figure out how to use. Specifically, being the cunt that has to try and talk them through setting it up when they get it out of the box and realise they have no clue how it works.

"Do you have a WiFi connection so you can connect up to iTunes through the phone?"

"No. I don't have internet at home".

"Right. Can you connect it up to a computer and connect it to iTunes?"

"No. I don't have a computer. What's iTunes?"

"You'll need to have an iTunes account to operate the phone, like if you want to use any Apps or anything"

"Apps? I just want a phone to make calls and send texts".

Probably didn't need to buy the most expensive and complicated phone on the market then if you only want it to do the same as a Nokia 3310.

These are the same people who call SIM cards "chips", and who call Pay As You Go "Ready To Go" and called texts "textes".

"I'm paying for a service that ye's aren't providing". This phrase makes me shudder. I hear it in my sleep. Usually followed with "ye's are in breach of contract". Every single time I challenge someone on they admit they didn't read the contract. And it's either not in the contract at all, ergo not breach of contract, or it is in the contract and covers the company entirely. "Nobody reads the contract" they say. "Well sir, if I can point you towards this section right here....". I'm not saying I necessarily agree with that. But if you're going to phone someone and argue the finer points of a contract, read the fucking thing first.

I really hate my job.

Last two posts really tickled me. Good stuff.

I think the word 'contract' makes people uppity about their phone. Its too professional - like they've successfully negotiated a number of mergers and acquisitions. There are no 'terms' really. The contract exists to make sure a) you legally must pay for a certain length of time and b) the company's ass is covered in all cases.

Also, older people who have no clue about technology buying iPhones that they can't figure out how to use. Specifically, being the cunt that has to try and talk them through setting it up when they get it out of the box and realise they have no clue how it works.

This is my all time pet hate!  I get asked all the time to help solve various computer woes at work (although kinda part of my job description so can't complain too much) and at home.  Folks buying software off ebay that's not compatible with they're hardware or OS is a real pain as I always have to listen to the "they miss sold me this/why does it not say that on the ad" etc shite when a skim read of the original ad shows that it clearly states that the software is only windows 95 compatible and comes with a 100 point ribbon interface that only a ferranti unit has.  Finding PC's failing because updates haven't ever been installed or every single spam toolbar ever created has been installed because "I don't know what that means" is another highlight. 

Also also my interest in computers ended in 2004, I'm a total tard when it comes to apple software but I can still figure our you're Ipad doesn't work because you've always been opening a new web browser window without ever closing the old one since the thing was purchased!

Best IT "issue" I had to deal with at work:  an engineer hauls me to their desk saying their computer has died and just wont turn on at all, crying "its just ridiculous/I've wasted so much time today" etc etc. A quick glance at the desk and I see both monitors are turned off, a press of the on button on the front of the screen and bingo the "dead" system is alive..... X(

• Upvote 2

This is my all time pet hate!  I get asked all the time to help solve various computer woes at work (although kinda part of my job description so can't complain too much) and at home.  Folks buying software off ebay that's not compatible with they're hardware or OS is a real pain as I always have to listen to the "they miss sold me this/why does it not say that on the ad" etc shite when a skim read of the original ad shows that it clearly states that the software is only windows 95 compatible and comes with a 100 point ribbon interface that only a ferranti unit has.  Finding PC's failing because updates haven't ever been installed or every single spam toolbar ever created has been installed because "I don't know what that means" is another highlight. 

Also also my interest in computers ended in 2004, I'm a total tard when it comes to apple software but I can still figure our you're Ipad doesn't work because you've always been opening a new web browser window without ever closing the old one since the thing was purchased!

...................you've lost me.................................................... :woohoo:

Whatever happened to that Starbucks gimmick where they call your order by name, and not by what you've ordered? That must've lasted a good couple of months. Looks like they've jacked it in though.

I've been going to Starbucks alot recently. Those fraps are grand with all this hot weather we're having. The name thing just doesn't happen anymore though. Sometimes they don't even yell the order. They just put it on the counter and let customers battle over who gets it. People sniff at it and all sorts. Chaos.

What a hellhole.

• Downvote 1

Whatever happened to that Starbucks gimmick where they call your order by name, and not by what you've ordered? That must've lasted a good couple of months. Looks like they've jacked it in though.

I've been going to Starbucks alot recently. Those fraps are grand with all this hot weather we're having. The name thing just doesn't happen anymore though. Sometimes they don't even yell the order. They just put it on the counter and let customers battle over who gets it. People sniff at it and all sorts. Chaos.

What a hellhole.

The refreshas are nice. What a gay fucking name for some juice though. "Refresha". 

What a hellhole.

The one in St Nicks still calls your name, and they even check how it's spelled! "oh, is that Stephen with a P H?"

Not enough coffee places do white mochas, and an iced white mocha is just lush.  And full of sugar...

People's inability to say names is a pet hate. My last name is Lyon, you should hear some of the things I get called. Mr Loin, Mr Lee-yon, Mr Ryan, Mr Lon. Even Philip conjures up some sort of tongue twisting spell on hapless call center workers. 'Is that Mr Philipip Lon?' Mental.

• Upvote 2

What a hellhole.

The one in Union Square still takes names but they apparently don't bother taking the concept to the next logical step and call out the name to highlight the order is ready. Luckily my visit coincided with a quiet spell but if it had been a few minutes later, chaos would have reigned...

People's inability to say names is a pet hate. My last name is Lyon, you should hear some of the things I get called. Mr Loin, Mr Lee-yon, Mr Ryan, Mr Lon. Even Philip conjures up some sort of tongue twisting spell on hapless call center workers. 'Is that Mr Philipip Lon?' Mental.

I feel your pain. When people ask me my name over the phone at work, and they repeat it, the things some have repeated is just unbelievable. John. Jeff. JILL. JEN?! Am I saying Joe weird? Do I sound like a JILL?! I probably don't sound like a Jill. I have quite a deep voice, like that guy from the Crash Test Dummies, almost.

I'm going to change my name to something unmistakeable. "Yeah, you heard right. Big Bastard."

• Upvote 3

I feel your pain. When people ask me my name over the phone at work, and they repeat it, the things some have repeated is just unbelievable. John. Jeff. JILL. JEN?! Am I saying Joe weird? Do I sound like a JILL?! I probably don't sound like a Jill. I have quite a deep voice, like that guy from the Crash Test Dummies, almost.

I'm going to change my name to something unmistakeable. "Yeah, you heard right. Big Bastard."

I get this shit all the time and all, which is ridiculous, because my name is ANDY MURRAY for Shola's sake. So if I'm on the phone at work, I either get a really shit tennis joke ("hehehe, DEUCE!" "ZOMG u win da wimbeedon igigigigig") or some daft shite like "Mirray" or "Marry." The fuck is wrong with people? It's a pretty common surname, you silly shit. Get it together.

I often tell people that my name is Shola if I'm on a night out and can't be bothered talking to them. It doesn't work.