aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

I'm just jumping on the bandwagon with the 'Bing' hate. It's like Lycos, does anyone still use that? I had to go look it up, at least it's not the garish yellow I remember it being.

Just looked this up as well, bloody hell it's lost a LOT of weight, although i suppose when they abandonded the chat thing people will have just stopped visiting.

Christ, I just assumed Lycos didn't exist. Didn't they at one stage allow you to send free text messages from their site?

Actually, I just assume that most search engines that are not Google have gone to shit.

Also, do 'chat rooms' actually still exist or have they been shut down by THE AUTHORITY that think most users were either children or paedophiles trying to groom those children?

I'm just jumping on the bandwagon with the 'Bing' hate. It's like Lycos, does anyone still use that? I had to go look it up, at least it's not the garish yellow I remember it being.

Wow, it still exists. I kinda feel sorry for websites like this. Ones that were riding high during the dotcom boom but have since been engulfed by google. It's still chugging along, thats nice to see.

Just looked this up as well, bloody hell it's lost a LOT of weight, although i suppose when they abandonded the chat thing people will have just stopped visiting.

Like the death of Geocities. Ah, how many fanfiction writers lost their treasured archives of Star Trek/Buffy/Xena/Stargate slash fiction. Not that I know what that is. I just heard someone talk about it on the internet.

Does Bing actually stand for "Because It's Not Google" or is that just some hocus-pocus?

Bing Is Not Google, but it might be better than you think | Technology | guardian.co.uk

Microsoft's Steve Ballmer said Bing was one of the few available short names that worked on a worldwide basis. The company hasn't confirmed that it stands recursively for Bing Is Not Google, but that's the sort of joke software engineers enjoy.

Altavista! That's the other one I was trying to remember. I'm sure it was the default search engine at school as well.

And it still exists...

AltaVista

Still looks like it's geared towards 56k too.

I also remember that AltaVesta was a dirty website. Well, dirty to my 13 year old eyes. I doubt I would consider thumbnails that take an hour to load as very dirty any more.