aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

Guest idol_wild

Pet Hate: People trying to engage me in conversation on topics they know I love, but that they themselves have absolutely no interest in or knowledge of. Especially football and music. Fuck off, you don't like either of them so this conversation is going absolutely fucking nowhere. Bye.

Guest idol_wild
There's people who don't like football?? Did you take their names? What exactly is their fucking problem?

I didn't speak to them long enough to ask them their name or find out exactly what their problem was. I just flushed them immediately out of my life. Dick.

Ah! Football. What a wonderful game that is. It is a pity that these days it is being ruined by out of date rules and over paid players, who would be better off getting a job as stuntmen in Hollywood. I could harp on like Alan Cynic about how things were better in the old days. Mark my words, football is well on its way down a slippery slope to gashness. I can hardly bear to watch a game now such is the amount of "diving" and other such ungentleman like conduct.

Ah! Football. What a wonderful game that is. It is a pity that these days it is being ruined by out of date rules and over paid players, who would be better off getting a job as stuntmen in Hollywood. I could harp on like Alan Cynic about how things were better in the old days. Mark my words, football is well on its way down a slippery slope to gashness. I can hardly bear to watch a game now such is the amount of "diving" and other such ungentleman like conduct.

Pet Hate: People complaining about how football has been ruined and they can't watch it anymore.

Pet Hate: People complaining about how football has been ruined and they can't watch it anymore.

I almost agree. Keepers used to be (on the whole) terrible and the levels of fitness were pretty shambolic for the most part. I suppose at least now most footballers are real athletes, and there is some genuinely dazzling football, but there is still a bit of me that hankers after days of yore.

Specifically 1983, and a sunny day at Dens.

With britheguy on this.....I remember back in the day when the Dons had a winger called Bertie Miller (remembered nowadays for forgetting to put his shorts on under his tracksuit, which caused some hilarity when he was brought on as a sub), and he could be tackled round about the half-way line, but managed to fall inside the penalty area. Many fans admired his ability to do this, but I was embarrassed that he did it in a Dons shirt. His namesake, Lee, was pretty good at it too, more recently, but with so many players cheating all over the place (the shirt-pulling, diving, pretending to be head-butted etc) it didn't seem out of place.

Rangers seem to have cornered the market in poor sportsmanship though...it must be terrible for some Gers fans.

I genuinely don't see much 'better'about modern-day football. I suppose changing the pass-back to the keeper stuff ages ago meant there are less really defensive 'slow' games, and that the players are fitter (although they seem to break down more easily, curiously). But it seems to me the games are faster, but have less skill (no Jimmy Johnstone, George Best, even Andy Ritchie of Morton).

Mind you, I hardly ever watch English football, so I'm not really talking from a position of strength. All those mercenary types fail to attract my interest.

Bands and sports teams being referred to as singular rather than plural entities. Example - The Who is one of the most over rated bands ever. No, The Who are one of the most over rated bands ever. It's a particularly American thing that I hope never catches on over here. Man City is likely to break into the top 4 of the EPL this season. No. That one's a no on multiple levels.

I don't even care what is technically correct; I hate it even if my use is incorrect.

I remember alot of people getting uppity about that on an American-based music forum a few years ago. The English people would use "the band are" and Americans "the band is", and it started a GRAMMAR WAR. I asked my tutor at college at the time, who was an English teacher. He whittled it down to both being technically correct. I still think plural entities makes more sense though. Afterall, the band or team are a band or team of more than one, such as Team Bridge. Sometimes a team can be made up of just one though, like Team Terry.

I that's what I mean. Some of todays can do amazing things with the ball though this might be down to the technology with balls/boots and there is no doubting that. It's the diving and complaining that I don't like. Let's take this for example.

Semi final cup game.

Winger running down the right. The defender goes across to tackle (and don't forget that tackling is also part of the game) and gets the ball. Meanwhile the winger drops like a stone, does ten forward roll, and then five back again. The ref comes over and books the defender for nothing due to no contact being made. Defender misses a once in a lifetime chance to play in a cup final. Crap!!! In my book the ref should book the winger...end of story.

Yes you do get some really bad tackles and those should be punished in the way the ref sees fit, but they should get their facts right first.

Although I'm a fan of old, I think the really needs to be taken into the new era. Cameras are required and the ref should review that before making a major decision.

I really like football, but it's the fooking fakers I hate:swearing:

Bands and sports teams being referred to as singular rather than plural entities. Example - The Who is one of the most over rated bands ever. No, The Who are one of the most over rated bands ever. It's a particularly American thing that I hope never catches on over here. Man City is likely to break into the top 4 of the EPL this season. No. That one's a no on multiple levels.

I don't even care what is technically correct; I hate it even if my use is incorrect.

This really bugs me too, I know both ways are correct but it just sounds so wrong to me when a singular form of a verb is used for teams, bands etc...

I teach English and I always correct students if they write something the "American way".

Do it my way or FAIL :king:

I wanted to be more articulate than this but do you have to be such a cunt?

Geez, calm down, as with just about all my posts, my tongue was firmly in cheek. There would surely be something wrong if there wasn't friendly rivalry between RGU and Aberdeen students wouldn't there? Chill out. :)

Actually, I just remembered, I actually started a course at RGU in 1994 but dropped out pretty quickly after realising standards were a lot lower than I had been used to at school (where I had teachers of Alan Cynic's calibre, natch).

Guest idol_wild

In 1997, I attended RGU for one year and dropped out because the course was too difficult.

Then I went to University of Aberdeen and gained an honours degree without more than around three hours of dedicated study to my own subject in the entire four years (seriously).

I ended up educating myself about subjects other than my degree. Idiot.