aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

also, dogs rolling in shit. why the fuck do they do that?!

Dogs roll in shit so that when they returned to their pack after a hunt, or just a wander, it would tell the rest of their pack that whatever animals shit it was is in the vacinity.

They roll in horse shit because when they were wild, returning from a wee scout around covered in shit would tell all the other dogs that horses are in the vacinity.

You haven't passed your test yet, you're not allowed these pet hates until then.

fuck off, new pet hate: being told that you can't have an opinion on something because you don't do it yourself.

I still have to get places and be a passenger in a car. I'm not able to drive so I don't, these fucks don't show the same consideration with their substandard driving practices. I've been a passenger in a car when people have been so frustrated by ridiculously slow drivers that they overtake in places which made me uncomfortable. so i think i'm entitled to have an opinion on it.

i have another pet hate as well, being grumpy. i've been in a foul mood this weekend and i'm fed up with it. bah.

Dogs roll in shit so that when they returned to their pack after a hunt, or just a wander, it would tell the rest of their pack that whatever animals shit it was is in the vacinity.

They roll in horse shit because when they were wild, returning from a wee scout around covered in shit would tell all the other dogs that horses are in the vacinity.

that makes sense, how do i make my dog realise i don't give a shit if there was a fox in the vicinity?

that makes sense, how do i make my dog realise i don't give a shit if there was a fox in the vicinity?

Unfortunately the only thing to do really is to pre-empt it. Call him to heel or chuck the lead on until you pass the problem. And maybe wear less aftershave or whatever, if you do. There's a theory that the dog is just trying to smell as pungent to you as you do to it by rolling around in shit.

But it's officially a University now. You get degrees there. This has happened since the early 90s. It is now 2010.

It's the kind of degrees it gives out...stuff like tourism, event management and business studies. It'll be degrees in games-playing and happy-slapping soon. In my out-of-date way of thinking these are taking the piss. But now that nearly everybody leaves school in search of a degree I suppose it's inevitable.

I'v e no problems with folk studying Business Management, Media Studies etc, but, being an oldie I don't see them as 'Degree Courses'. No offence to anyone who is slogging away at one just now. I still see RGU as RGIT,,,,seemed more honest to me, as it's very 'business/technology' orientated.

I think I'm some kind of blinkered elitist......but so be it.

Yes...it's been changed since the 90s....but that doesn't mean my opinion has to change....I think Union Square is shite, and I'm pretty confident I'll still think it's shite in 30 years time, if it hasn't been torn down.

Just out of interest, what kind of thing do you consider proper degree courses? More academic courses like History, English etc?

I wouldn't really say RGU is completely Business / Technology orientated as the schools for Art, Architecture and Nursing are quite a big part of it.

I don't really have any strong feelings for RGU, despite going there, but I've never really understood the attitudes of some people against it.

I hate it when an ATM tells me I can't take money out when I know there is definitely money in the account. Stupid fucking banks.

Also a man selling beer on the street stole money from me on Friday night. I hated that too. Arsehole.

That's what happens when you buy your beer on the street...

It's actually quite normal in some parts of the city here.

There are a legion of men, who up until now I'd considered thoroughly honorable chaps, providing a great service (illegally) selling cans of beer around popular outdoor drinking spots.

This one went to ask one of his "colleagues" for change but then ran away.

His beer was a really shitty brand too!

My faith in the institution of street beer has been shattered forever.

I'm with Alan on the RG "U" thing. Was most amusing in the early 90s not long after it had been converted from polytechnic status when Maggie Thatcher went there to give a talk, the main thrust of which turned out to be how disappointing it was that all the polytechnics were turning into "universities". (Alan in "agreeing with Thatcher" shocker?)

Mind you, none of this is any of my business, I went to the University of Life, although it was Life Polytechnic in those days.*

*Joke, MA (Hons) from Aberdeen actually.

It's the kind of degrees it gives out...stuff like tourism, event management and business studies.

So? Let people do them. They're no less of a degree, and snobbishness is hardly the most constructive attitude.

Nowadays, 'practical' degrees are probably more appropriate to job culture than a degree in, say, History of Art or Sociology. There's nothing wrong with either, of course.

Really pisses me off when people dismiss RGU just because it's new. It's a great place to study and it has massive potential.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm doing Journalism and not a Business degree, and there were plenty of people at RGU opposed to ACSEF and Trump so it's entirely incorrect to assume that everyone at the University is of a centre-right political mind.

Any chance RG "U" had of gaining my respect went out the window when they decided to give Trump an honourary degree. Yes I know it's just a PR exercise, but it's still a silly thing to do.

Someone very close to me used to work for RG "U" and told me that it was virtually impossible to get thrown out for failing as they don't want to lose your tuition fees for future years. Universities are businesses first and foremost these days, sadly. I should add the caveat that for all I know this happens at Aberdeen and other universities too.

Someone very close to me used to work for RG "U" and told me that it was virtually impossible to get thrown out for failing as they don't want to lose your tuition fees for future years.

Bullshit. Someone in my class was thrown out.

EDIT: And calling it RG "U" is just the most annoying thing. It's a University. That's indisputable.