aberdeen-music

Stabbing outside Snafu

Yeah, it's just about as ludicrous as passing the Dark Knight off as crap with little explanation other than not being able to sit still for 2 and a half hours.

Where did I say it was crap? I just said that it was too long.

and 'not being able to sit still' ? We're not talking about a three year-old at a wedding, I found it perfectly easy to sit still (it was a late night showing so I was pretty tired).

I really, really hope you're right about his race not having anything to do with the incident. There's been a definite rise in the perception of Poles that the UK is becoming a dangerous place - my girlfriend is Polish, and she's shown me a few forums where attacks have been reported.

Since when has Polish been a race?

you can carry a letherman, pocketknife, or swis army knife on you at any time as long as the blade is less than 2" long it is not classified as an offensive weapon - i asked the local police about it and they printed me off a factsheet about it that i keep in my wallet incase anyone ever challenges me.

you can carry a letherman, pocketknife, or swis army knife on you at any time as long as the blade is less than 2" long it is not classified as an offensive weapon - i asked the local police about it and they printed me off a factsheet about it that i keep in my wallet incase anyone ever challenges me.

It's 3" actually, i'm sure most penknives and leatherman tools have at least one blade longer than 3". Even then most coppers would ask you why you had it and if you couldn't provide a valid reason they'd confiscate it.

Were they not talking about bringing in the same kind of draconian minimum sentences that they do with guns? (which aren't being enforced anyway) That seems a bit ludicrous. The amount of times I've wandered out of work with a boxcutter in my pocket due to being a bit frazzled springs to mind.

Honestly, it's not that bad. Guns are a whole level worse and we thankfully don't have anything like the gun culture in other cities.

Are we talking a proper box cutter or a stanley knife?

I don't think even a 2 year old could hurt themselves with a box cutter.

Tell that to the 9/11 Commission! But yeah, Stanley blades is what I meant.

If you work as a carpet fitter, you can legally carry those ones with the nasty curved blades.

The public perception of a sharp (ho ho) rise in knife crime is of course primarily down to the media. I seem to remember some time last year when dog attacks on children were the flavour of the month for newspapers, and everybody became convinced that there was some kind of a rabid dog pandemic occuring.

What we need is a set of objective figures about the number of (known) knife crimes in the UK for the past few years, which should then expose this media sensationalism. Unfortunately, I am too lazy to go looking for any.

Race is as much nationality as colour - could you seriously imagine suggesting to the Croats and Serbs that they were the same race, for instance? They have similar language, but they're clearly a different race.

Yes, one are very obviously Eastern European their heritage and the other's are clearly African-American-Indo-Chinese-Innuit.

How similar is their language? Do they not both speak Serbo-Croat?

Arriving late to this thread but just to clear a few things up:

- The stabbing did not happen at or near Snafu. I believe it started in the Tilted Wig and the actual incident happened outside Blackfriars.

- One of our doormen is Polish and is not connected to this in any way either.

- There was no queue outside the club. The comedy night had finished around 11.20pm and our doorman was downstairs helping to clear the club, so he never saw anything.

- Anyone connected with the incident had not been in Snafu that evening.

Basically, it's pretty annoying our name is even connected with this. The incident happened closer to Archie Simpsons yet they didn't warrant a mention. Typical poor grasp of facts from some of the reports kicking about. We've had phone calls to the office and some reporter on one of the forums asking for comments also. In short, since we didn't have a single bit of involvement in this incident, then "no comment".

Arriving late to this thread but just to clear a few things up:

- The stabbing did not happen at or near Snafu. I believe it started in the Tilted Wig and the actual incident happened outside Blackfriars.

- One of our doormen is Polish and is not connected to this in any way either.

- There was no queue outside the club. The comedy night had finished around 11.20pm and our doorman was downstairs helping to clear the club, so he never saw anything.

- Anyone connected with the incident had not been in Snafu that evening.

Basically, it's pretty annoying our name is even connected with this. The incident happened closer to Archie Simpsons yet they didn't warrant a mention. Typical poor grasp of facts from some of the reports kicking about. We've had phone calls to the office and some reporter on one of the forums asking for comments also. In short, since we didn't have a single bit of involvement in this incident, then "no comment".

fair one!

pretty strange that the beeb would report it like that, though it's attributed to grampian police. perhaps a complaint is in order as it's pretty clear this stuff can have an adverse effect on the reputation of a club.