aberdeen-music

thoughts on aberdeen

Ollie

The benchmark? I've spent lots of time in cities from Tangier to Perth WA and I can safely say Aberdeen is at the bottom of the list of places I would choose to live in.

The responses of people to criticism of the city in this thread say it all really...

"if you don't like it fuck off"

"if you're not aberdonian fuck off"

"where are you gonna go instead eh, timbuktu?"

"what are you doing to change it eh?"

sounds almost like these people are in denial of their situation to me.

What are you gonna do - you seem to be in denial buddie...you just come across as a lonely man who would never be happy regardless of location.

Actually, i've revised my opinion - it's raining outside so Aberdeen is shit.

It's not like <insert fabled ned-less city of gold> where the unicorns run free & the the rainbows hide pots of gold at the end.

rainbow-unicorn.jpg

Bloody Unicorns and Fairies! Bet that place is full of happy tree huggers for fuck sakes! I'd probably get burnt by the sun and would have to spend heaps of money on sun screen and shorts! Jeez!

The benchmark? I've spent lots of time in cities from Tangier to Perth WA and I can safely say Aberdeen is at the bottom of the list of places I would choose to live in. .

Come with me to Malabo and Bata at the end of the month - when you see people living in tin shacks and getting water from stand pipes a mile away to wash in & drink then you'll appreciate what you've got. And I can assure you, from experience, that walking up Union St at 3am on a Saturday is lot less scary than being pulled over by boy soldiers weilding AK-47s. A decent loaf of bread? A Tesco smartprice white loaf is luxury to some.

Oh yeah I forgot to add "insulting anyone who dares criticise the city" to that list.

I dont care if you slag the city - really dont. its ppl who moan but do nothing about it. EIther change their location, situation, job etc etc....there are ways to improve your situation.

I admit there is many flaws here but your happiness is usually up to yourself.

Come with me to Malabo and Bata at the end of the month - when you see people living in tin shacks and getting water from stand pipes a mile away to wash in & drink then you'll appreciate what you've got. And I can assure you, from experience, that walking up Union St at 3am on a Saturday is lot less scary than being pulled over by boy soldiers weilding AK-47s. A decent loaf of bread? A Tesco smartprice white loaf is luxury to some.

What a ridiculously fallacious argument "at least we've got mains water and nobody running amok with guns".

Out of curiosity, are you going there to stay in an oil-industry compound, or in a tin shack like the natives?

What a ridiculously fallacious argument "at least we've got mains water and nobody running amok with guns".

Out of curiosity, are you going there to stay in an oil-industry compound, or in a tin shack like the natives?

it's no tin shack but it's certainly no luxury compound like some of the big American companies have out there - I'm grateful for running water (which isn't drinkable though) and air-con but I'm still dodging the same mosquitos and cockroaches.

So, where do you stay in town? Seaton? Tilly? Beilside? Where's your tin shack?

There's nothing fallacious about the argument - yeah, some things are shit here but they could be a lot worse is all I'm saying. It could be a lot better to but moaning won't achieve that with direct action on an individual's part.

The only bit that I avoid at night on the weekends is Chicago Rock/Jumpin Jaks. I don't know why they don't just close the place, there is a police van more or less permanently parked outside on weekends. Apart from that, I feel quite safe in Aberdeen.

I've yet to see this war zone that Aberdeen turns into at 3am on Saturday night! I've walked from the centre of town after a night out to BoD many a time and haven't had any more hassle than friendly banter!

i deplored the P+J/Evening Expresses' editorial last winter when some young press loon was comparing the 'carnage' on Union St to the war-zones of Afghanistan or Iraq!!

quite appalling contribution to print (let alone disrespect to our armed forces) that will just scaremonger the older generations from even coming in for a drink or meal in some of the better establishments... meanwhile the younger folk just lap it up and have a chuckle over a nice imported vodka.. from the City of Airdire or somewhere equally as continental

i dare say the eager (council-tapping) journalist posts under alias on this very forum - certainly judging by the low quality of posting over the last 20 pages

however, i've been unjustly taunted for my penchant for beige, flanel suits on the late ABZ streets on more than one occassion... while superhero-tagged stag nights have taken to chasing my 2-wheeled ride in drunken, slightly angry, hilarity... luckily i slip into 3rd gear and make hasty exit.

All this says to me is our geographic location + industry dependence increases insecurities and acceptance of something/somebody different

one would hope an increase in arts confidence would rally to defuse the eejits en-masse... having lived and worked in florence, barcelona , london, glasgow, and edinburgh (most over 2yrs at a time) i'm happy to call this home for many of the positive examples mentioned already

it becomes ones duty to contribute to a city's development if you have the chance... but on a day like today i feel jesus had it easier

i deplored the P+J/Evening Expresses' editorial last winter when some young press loon was comparing the 'carnage' on Union St to the war-zones of Afghanistan or Iraq!!

quite appalling contribution to print (let alone disrespect to our armed forces) that will just scaremonger the older generations from even coming in for a drink or meal in some of the better establishments... meanwhile the younger folk just lap it up and have a chuckle over a nice imported vodka.. from the City of Airdire or somewhere equally as continental

i dare say the eager (council-tapping) journalist posts under alias on this very forum - certainly judging by the low quality of posting over the last 20 pages

however, i've been unjustly taunted for my penchant for beige, flanel suits on the late ABZ streets on more than one occassion... while superhero-tagged stag nights have taken to chasing my 2-wheeled ride in drunken, slightly angry, hilarity... luckily i slip into 3rd gear and make hasty exit.

All this says to me is our geographic location + industry dependence increases insecurities and acceptance of something/somebody different

one would hope an increase in arts confidence would rally to defuse the eejits en-masse... having lived and worked in florence, barcelona , london, glasgow, and edinburgh (most over 2yrs at a time) i'm happy to call this home for many of the positive examples mentioned already

it becomes ones duty to contribute to a city's development if you have the chance... but on a day like today i feel jesus had it easier

chin up mate....

Oh yeah I forgot to add "insulting anyone who dares criticise the city" to that list.

You've got two options. Move away from the city or accept the situation you're in. Aberdeen and its inhabitants owe you nothing and you in return owe them nothing. Spending all day venting your frustration and anger about all this on some Internet forums is going to change absolutely nothing whatsoever, either way.

I moved away and I'm much happier as a result. I suggest you try it. In the meantime please stop boring us to death with your oh so predictable diatribes against everything and everyone.

You've got two options. Move away from the city or accept the situation you're in. Aberdeen and its inhabitants owe you nothing and you in return owe them nothing. Spending all day venting your frustration and anger about all this on some Internet forums is going to change absolutely nothing whatsoever, either way.

I moved away and I'm much happier as a result. I suggest you try it. In the meantime please stop boring us to death with your oh so predictable diatribes against everything and everyone.

Hey it's a thread about thoughts on aberdeen, I'm posting my thoughts on the city just as everyone else is. There's no need to make it personal.

Hey it's a thread about thoughts on aberdeen, I'm posting my thoughts on the city just as everyone else is. There's no need to make it personal.

It's funny that someone, who's only contribution to this thread already has been to elevate ones self above the serfs and lesser inhabitants of the city itself, can feel like he's being personally attacked.

Maybe your critiques would be better received if you weren't so derisory in the first place.

You don't like Aberdeen, others do. Lets draw a line under that and agree to disagree. I don't think you are going to change the minds of those who do like it, and they yours. It doesn't make you better than us. No one's blinkered here.

I can't be arsed reading back through, but I'm sure Stripey said he was moving away from Aberdeen soon. If that's the case, why are people telling him "If you don't like it, move"? Is this that thing you see happening on forums all over the internet - reacting more to the poster rather than the post?

Is this that thing you see happening on forums all over the internet - reacting more to the poster rather than the post?

Well not really, cuz the latter is a perfectly logical, infact, conversational response. If you were sitting eating cherries, moaning about how gash they are - how the pips make you want to chop your own fingers off - I'd inquire as to your motives.

Guest bluesxman
It's funny that someone, who's only contribution to this thread already has been to elevate ones self above the serfs and lesser inhabitants of the city itself, can feel like he's being personally attacked.

Maybe your critiques would be better received if you weren't so derisory in the first place.

Same old record though isnt it? Attacks everyone for their lack of music taste because it doesnt match his then cries when folk retaliate

Well not really, cuz the latter is a perfectly logical, infact, conversational response. If you were sitting eating cherries, moaning about how gash they are - how the pips make you want to chop your own fingers off - I'd inquire as to your motives.

Relocating your life which has commitments and obligations and so on is not quite as trivial as that...

Can we please not make this another thread about Stripey?

In an effort to get back on topic...

The thing about this kind of subject is it's entirely dependant on the individual. Everyone experiences a city in their own way and likes/hates different things about it. Some people will love Aberdeen for a variety of reasons while another person won't even care about those things and hate the place for completely different reasons.

I love it up here, but I don't consider here as just Aberdeen it's the whole area. I love the flexibility Aberdeen gives you, city living with plenty of facilities, pubs, decent restaurants and entertainment as well as having the feeling that you're only a few minutes drive/cycle away from the countryside and all that it has to offer. It's also safe and with a good standard of living.

Glasgow's nice to visit but it's not a place I'd want to live in. Would consider Inverness (for the same close to the country feel) but the nightlife and entertainment is pretty poor whenever I've been there to vist friends. If I really had to live somewhere else in Scotland then it would probably be Edinburgh, but I don't see it happening. To be honest if I was to move out of Aberdeen these days (and stay within Scotland) it would just be to the shire probably. But that's just because I find myself drinking and going out a lot less these days so not that bothered about being in an urban environment anymore.

Guest bluesxman
To be honest if I was to move out of Aberdeen these days (and stay within Scotland) it would just be to the shire probably.

Are you having flashbacks to a LOTR role play game or something?