aberdeen-music

thoughts on aberdeen

Ollie

Union sq will be filled with the most hideous retail + entertainment outlets knows to mankind.. right in the middle of a port and THE FIRST THING THE LOVELY NEWCOMERS TO THE CITY SEE ON ARRIVAL AT EITHER STATION..

Yeah just what aberdeen needs, more shops. Even though half of the ones on union street itself are empty. I have no faith in the council to do anything sensible or good for the area, just look at how little they care about the art gallery for example...it's not even open till 2pm on sundays.

Lets not mistake the Doric dialect for the incomprehensible common lingo that I, an Aberdonian, cant even understand, more often than not. Not pronouncing words properly and not moving your gob when you speak is not Doric.

Who's mistaking it? I find Doric disgustingly vulgar to read or listen to.

Doric and an Aberdeen accent should not be confused and the use of either does not eqate to a lack of intelligence as people's comments along the lines of "can't even speak proper English" seem to suggest. I ken plenty folk fae Torry and the likes fa spik like 'is and are affa clivvir loons and quines.

Oh aye, and if ye dinna love the Dons then ye can get tae fuck :laughing:

I would certainly argue that inverse snobbery is a sign of low intelligence, understanding and tolerance. I would put forth the same arguement in the case of "regular" snobs also.

Yes, there are clever people with accents (sigh...), but I dislike the general despise people recieve for knowing how to articulate themselves properly.

I find both the Doric language and the Aberdonian accent revolting, but would not judge people according to this dislike.

true, but there's a shit load of amazing arts + creativity already happening in aberdeen + area.. but sometimes hard to source where n when it's on...

so yes, while it shouldn't just be the answer 'to move forward' it will undoubtedly become the epi-centre for artists + creatives to have a real voice in abz... and attract newcomers to sectors they didn't realise they had the opportunity to explore.. all through a cutting edge building a mere 2hrs from the might of the central belt and the possible tourism benefits

with peacock currently hidden away behind the drunks of the castlegate.. and the stoic old-school arts centre hardly inspiring folk to get creative (with all the facilities it + other locations already offer) it is an amazing opportunity for aberdeen to take the arts forward with confidence, and most importantly, retain the skilled graduating talent that mostly seem set to head for pastures down south.. and who could previously blame them

dundee's DCA took art to the masses and the simmering talent came out in force..

ps.. project slogan has just opened new premises on langstane pl

pss. there should be an arts thread in this forum

psss. the skinny launches here soon which will hopefully give a greater voice to music, arts, comedy etc

pssss.. dr lecter has sipped chianti with the finest 'bodies' in europe but hasn't given up hope of ABZ coming good... just look at the opportunities and professionalism the skate park has given to many young riders

Thanks for that Dr Lecter, I was going to reply but I feared being drowned out by talk of who bakes the best loaf (when we all know it's that small child in the Hovis advert ... sexually abused though he may be the boy can bake!) I completely agree about the arts forum and good to hear about the skinny the List are also starting a section dedicated to Aberdeen in the near future (further gossip from the networking event). To reply to the quote I completely agree with him that we should not wait around for the Peacock art centre to become our saviour as it were, I happen to agree with you (Dr Lecter) that Aberdeen has a great Artistic community the problem is that it's too disjointed at the moment, this is where the Peacock centre can help. Until then I believe the only way forward is to 'talk about it!' without communication we won't get anywhere. I would recommend any and all who are interested, to join creative cultures scotland (google it!), and head along to the next netwoking event, it may be of some interest! The Free vino and food are a pretty good incentive to head along as well!

Possibly "Thee" most "Pretentious" thing i have "heard" , "ever" (Did i use too many Inverted Commas there?!?() What a tool. Seriously!! LOL.

What do you suggest..... that we get Philosophers, missionaries, Nobel Prize Winners & just general World Icons to come to the grand opening of this as part of a (or maybe your) "movement" (oh there are those pesky inverted commas again), so the whole city can be enlightened & cultured and just in general to see the error of our mediocre ways...!? So we can be a united city that buys nothing but independantly baked bread

FUCK. OFF.

Thanks for the FUCK. OFF. and also from Dr Lecter suggesting the same.o_O:laughing::finger::rolleyes:

Obviously didn't understand my very 'straightforward' sentiment and I have 'no' fucking idea what you are talking about 'ye fud!'

I was about to clarify my point but I feel that most folk with a modicum of common sense will understand what with it being obvious and all that.

Pretentious? Look it up!

dunno - made Pasta? Brought us Gigi Buffon?

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

but I dislike the general despise people recieve for knowing how to articulate themselves properly.

I find both the Doric language and the Aberdonian accent revolting, but would not judge people according to this dislike.

There is an anti-education culture up here.

please don't shy away dear joe-X-2... the cyber playground can be a bullying place of sort

please clarify your point.. if you are employed in the arts/culture employment sector up here then surely u know there's currently more to it than a 3-yr wait for a new build

i agree that we can't let one-building solely take responsibility for arts in aberdeen, the points i referred to earlier are really saying that many avenues are already happening and in place... hence this development can only make progress more prolific

we have a world-leading school of art and other wonderful educational outlets.. independent galleries + studios popping up at an increasing rate.. the new build can only aid confidence in these establishments + their submission rates

but for the good of the people let us have a centre-piece that makes the arts accessible to all and strike down the negative spreaders (some that i unfortunately read in letters to the P+J while the new vision was going through planning)... this is a chance for aberdeen to grow from within the oil industry peg

think on this: an average of 14 people use union terrace gdns, our only central green lung, each day... scores more, maybe 10/20/30 times as many folk drink a ground-hogged pint, or 2, in exodus or revolution on any given night.. culturally taking us backwards - no offence to the musicians who play but those locations but the averageness on show (and right around town) is hardly inspiring for social activities within our boundaries

so let us quaff the grapes of italy under the stars of a northern light, while engrossed in the cultured output of the marvelous youth.. and be proud

(pass my hankey uncle monty)

There is an anti-education culture up here.

It's not just up here I'm afraid dear boy. Nobody in the world is as educated as you and no matter where you travel and to whom you speak, your super-intelligence will always be met with disdain and reverse snobbery :laughing:

Seriously, do you actually think the Aberdeen area has an "anti-eucation culture" any worse than any other place in Britain?

Doric is a dialect.

I speak doric and don't give folk a hard time for not speaking doric (I'm sure I'm not the only one). Does the fact that I speak doric make me a retarded xenophobic ape? No.

If aberdonians (I'm not from Aberdeen by the way) display inverse snobbery by judging you for not speaking doric, then you are displaying snobbery for saying that language/accent is revolting.

It could be worse. We could all live in Liverpool.

please don't shy away dear joe-X-2... the cyber playground can be a bullying place of sort

please clarify your point.. if you are employed in the arts/culture employment sector up here then surely u know there's currently more to it than a 3-yr wait for a new build

i agree that we can't let one-building solely take responsibility for arts in aberdeen, the points i referred to earlier are really saying that many avenues are already happening and in place... hence this development can only make progress more prolific

we have a world-leading school of art and other wonderful educational outlets.. independent galleries + studios popping up at an increasing rate.. the new build can only aid confidence in these establishments + their submission rates

but for the good of the people let us have a centre-piece that makes the arts accessible to all and strike down the negative spreaders (some that i unfortunately read in letters to the P+J while the new vision was going through planning)... this is a chance for aberdeen to grow from within the oil industry peg

think on this: an average of 14 people use union terrace gdns, our only central green lung, each day... scores more, maybe 10/20/30 times as many folk drink a ground-hogged pint, or 2, in exodus or revolution on any given night.. culturally taking us backwards - no offence to the musicians who play but those locations but the averageness on show (and right around town) is hardly inspiring for social activities within our boundaries

so let us quaff the grapes of italy under the stars of a northern light, while engrossed in the cultured output of the marvelous youth.. and be proud

(pass my hankey uncle monty)

At no point did I say there wasn't an active cultural sector up here and nor did I say that I was against the new building. Nothing could be farther from the truth in fact. I believe that things have never been better in some areas and there are people around now that are leading by example and don't need a new building to do so, Project Slogan for one.

Multiply this over and over again in the period between now and cracking of champers at the opening then we will truly be on the up and the building will become part of, and clearly a central part of, an established and burgeoning cultural scene: music, art, dance, performance, film... I merely suggested that some may look ahead and see the new building as the solution that they have been waiting for when the solution lies more with the participants than it does with concrete and glass. I will be a frequent traveler in the new building, no doubt, and would book my table now if I could but I want to know that I will have someone to speak to and something to speak about...:up:

I think that we have some very encouraging things in the arts up here. We have some great musicians up here, and the Creative Cultures networking nights are working hard to get loads of different people from the arts together.

On a completely unrelated note, here are some of my favourite (mostly foodie) places in Aberdeen:

The sushi man, Aberdeen Market

Earl of Sandwich, the Green

The Globe Inn, north silver street - great food great music

Fusion, north silver street - currently filling the late-night-coffee void that was left when Beans closed down.

Rock Salt and Snails, St. Swithin Street. My all-time fave place to have lunch and chill. It also has some 'funcy' stuff that you can't get elsewhere.

The Hub, university of Aberdeen. Fresh pizza and fajitas, food is nice and pretty cheap. Nice little coffee place downstairs, and the whole place is open to the public.

Also, I dearly miss the restaurant at The Tunnels. The food was f*cking amazing and it was a reasonable price. I wish it would come back.

Doric is a dialect.

I speak doric and don't give folk a hard time for not speaking doric (I'm sure I'm not the only one). Does the fact that I speak doric make me a retarded xenophobic ape? No.

If aberdonians (I'm not from Aberdeen by the way) display inverse snobbery by judging you for not speaking doric, then you are displaying snobbery for saying that language/accent is revolting.

It could be worse. We could all live in Liverpool.

I'm sure you and most of the people on this forum (I'm being charitable) are not the types I'm talking about. Also - I didn't say anywhere that doric speakers are in any way stupid people, just that snobs of both varieties were.

I simply find the accent unpleasant. Or vulgar. In much the same way that some people have a problem with the word "cunt" being casually uttered.

In no way am I being snobbish towards doric speakers, as like I stated, I don't judge people according to their dialect. I just happen to hate the dialect, NOT THE PERSON.

Agreed on Liverpool.

Its nae Johannesburg buddie...

I've seen people stopped at the lights at the Anderson Drive/Great Western Road junction have their passenger door opened and their bag's stolen from the seat.

I drive around town (Union Street, Justice Mill Lane, Schoolhill etc.) often. However, my car doors are locked around the same time I put my seatbelt on.* Saves me having an afterthought of "Hmm... this seems like an iffy area, better only take such a precaution now." :up:

*I never drive without a seatbelt on.

Ooh how cryptic :laughing:

I simply find the accent unpleasant. Or vulgar. In much the same way that some people have a problem with the word "cunt" being casually uttered.

Agreed on Liverpool.

Funny that cause the word CUNT seems to suit your posts so far pretty darn well....

Why should we be ashamed of where we come from and what we sound like? Your accent defines you in a certain way and i couldnt be more proud to be from Aberdeen. There is something sexy about the scottish accent anyway....

The word "min" gets me everytime ;)

It's not just up here I'm afraid dear boy. Nobody in the world is as educated as you and no matter where you travel and to whom you speak, your super-intelligence will always be met with disdain and reverse snobbery :laughing:

Seriously, do you actually think the Aberdeen area has an "anti-eucation culture" any worse than any other place in Britain?

EXACTLY!!!! the TRUTH OF THE MATTER IS THAT ABERDEEN HAS ONE OF THE BEST LIVING STANDARDS IN NOT JUST SCOTLAND BUT THE UK, (ONLY TO BE OUTDONE BY THE SOUTH EAST OF ENGLAND (GENERALLY)!!! THE EDUCATION LEVELS UP HERE ARE IN THE TOP 5% OF THE COUNTRY!!! OK, THERE ARE JAKEYS/CHAVS AND PROSSIES IN EVERY TOWN/CITY, THEREFORE THERE IS CRIME ALSO IN EVERY CITY. BUT ABERDEEN HAS THE ONE OF THE LOWEST CRIME RATES IN THE UK!!

THE ONLY THING IS WRONG THIS PLACE IS THE FUCKING MOAN CULTURE PEOPLE IN HERE!!! BUNCH OF CUNTS (ESPECIALLY YOU TWOJOES)

NOW JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP!!

(im gonna stop shouting now......)

i took your advice to look up pretentious on your advice, "joe". TWO & THREE seem bang on the money to me son.....! Cunt.

pretentious

Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pri-ten-shuhs]

–adjective 1. full of pretense or pretension.

2. characterized by assumption of importance.

3. making an exaggerated outward show; ostentatious.