aberdeen-music

thoughts on aberdeen

Ollie

The problem with this thread is that the aberdeen-haters obviously haven't been to Sheffield, Bolton, Blackburn, Dundee, Milton Keynes or the like.

What's the benchmark being set here? Are we comparing Aberdeen to New York or Kabul?

I did indeed get the impression that the aberdeen-haters in this thread seem largely un-travelled, bar the likelihood of sun-kissed holidays.

I did indeed get the impression that the aberdeen-haters in this thread seem largely un-travelled, bar the likelihood of sun-kissed holidays.

I agree...i would class myself well travelled and i tell you Aberdeen is ahead of many places.

I still cant believe that somebody classed Dundee ahead of us...i mean....come on. Surely hasnt been south of Stonehaven.

The problem with this thread is that the aberdeen-haters obviously haven't been to Sheffield, Bolton, Blackburn, Dundee, Milton Keynes or the like.

What's the benchmark being set here? Are we comparing Aberdeen to New York or Kabul?

"come to aberdeen, it least its not as shit as dundee"

what an appealing tagline for the city.

Why Mr Pot, pray tell why you call me black???? This paragraph itself smacks of small mindedness, ignorance, sweeping generalisations and dare I say it racism are you Aberdonian yourself and suffering from some bizaare form of self loathing? Are you one of those Emo's??

"aberdonian" is not a race, and it's not racist to be disgusted to the point of leaving by the inhabitants of aberdeen.

And no, I'm not aberdonian atall.

You're an ignorant div.

wouldnt really class me as ignorant or a div to be honest...but i suppose i do come across as a bit of a twat on here for my opinions on Aberdeen. I just hate people moaning about it...really annoys me. If you dont like it - dont stay. People dont have to stay - maybe bar family reasons - there are plenty jobs around the world and plenty ways to get there.

I hear people moaning about it all the time and it really annoys me. Thats all. Matter of opinion just like im sure you have yours....

Why are Toy on a crusade to make everybody fear them all of a sudden? I wouldn't exactly rush to a gig for fear of receiving a barrage of abuse, to be honest.

?

First of all - Toy are a shitty little Aberdeen band that I'm in, I am a person, not a representative of Toy. And what fear/abuse are you talking about? Read my last post - it's pretty calm and friendly!

You go to gigs for music, which is what we play. I fully reserve the right to be a total wanker, but in this instance I think I've been pretty kosher.

Funny that cause the word CUNT seems to suit your posts so far pretty darn well....

Which ones in particular? The ones about not judging people on their accents?

Why should we be ashamed of where we come from and what we sound like? Your accent defines you in a certain way and i couldnt be more proud to be from Aberdeen.

You shouldn't be ashamed and it's good to be proud. I just happen to find it annoying. A lot of people hate lots of different accents. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that in any way that I can possibly fathom.

Don't get so damn offended that I think your accent is less than amazing.

?

First of all - Toy are a shitty little Aberdeen band that I'm in, I am a person, not a representative of Toy. And what fear/abuse are you talking about? Read my last post - it's pretty calm and friendly!

You go to gigs for music, which is what we play. I fully reserve the right to be a total wanker, but in this instance I think I've been pretty kosher.

Which ones in particular? The ones about not judging people on their accents?

You shouldn't be ashamed and it's good to be proud. I just happen to find it annoying. A lot of people hate lots of different accents. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that in any way that I can possibly fathom.

Don't get so damn offended that I think your accent is less than amazing.

just find it a bit strange you come on an Aberdeen Forum and slag off an Aberdeen accent. To me that is asking for a backlash.

But as you say - you shouldnt judge anyone on their accent...

Aberdonians are completely out of their place in Society. Isolated, Cold, Ashen-Faced guerners, most of you, we're lucky that we have two fine universtites that bring these people from afar to our wee City of shitflickers!

You walk down Union St on a normal day and its clear to see this City is a congested turd blocking the somewhat normal flow of toilet water that runs towards the great ocean of independance. Yeah hud some o that. Mr Muscle is our only hope!

I still cant believe that somebody classed Dundee ahead of us...i mean....come on. Surely hasnt been south of Stonehaven.

Dundee is scarily affordable now, and is having government money thrown at it: I'm planning to buy a flat there and rent it while I'm overseas.

Every city peaks and troughs, but the shit will hit the fan big time in Aberdeen when the oil vanishes and J. Foreigner looks for money elsewhere. Luckily for everyone on this forum, that probably won't be our generation's problem, so why should you care anyway?

It will be like a glorified version of Grimsby. Only with an even worse dialect.

:up:

wouldnt really class me as ignorant or a div to be honest...but i suppose i do come across as a bit of a twat on here for my opinions on Aberdeen. I just hate people moaning about it...really annoys me. If you dont like it - dont stay. People dont have to stay - maybe bar family reasons - there are plenty jobs around the world and plenty ways to get there.

I hear people moaning about it all the time and it really annoys me. Thats all. Matter of opinion just like im sure you have yours....

It also takes money to re-locate. You can't just up and leave somewhere simply because you want to. Ok, I managed it, but with a lot of help from other people (I saved on money by having friends help me move and a house ready for me to move into), but not everyone gets that opportunity.

My tuppence worth, however, I loved Aberdeen, but I'd gotten to a point where I felt there was more out there to see and do - plus the majority of my friends live in other places, so there were very few that were even close by. I'm not born and raised in Aberdeen, in fact, I'm not even Scottish, and have lived in several places. I'm in Glasgow just now and I don't even intend to stay here forever. I'll say this, though: Aberdeen's probably been my favourite city to live in so far. I love the accent, I love the music scene, I love the fact it's not a huge city (in the grand scheme), but it's not a tiny place where everyone knows everyone either. I love that it's near the sea and at the same time, you're never far from the countryside and some amazing scenery. You don't get that in Glasgow, London or Burnley.

I miss the place, but at the same time, I don't see me moving back there now that I've gone, not for any other reason than I'm happy where I am and have other places I'd like to go in future.

i think the main problem with the majority of people on here who are complaining is that they have had such an easy life that they have to find things to moan about so they piss and moan about this city, i know the type i used to live with two of them. Try living in some third world country and then we will see how bad you think aberdeen is.

i think the main problem with the majority of people on here who are complaining is that they have had such an easy life that they have to find things to moan about so they piss and moan about this city, i know the type i used to live with two of them. Try living in some third world country and then we will see how bad you think aberdeen is.

RIGHT.

I lived in Oakland, California for nine months. I checked the 2008 homocide map the other day and two guys were shot dead right outside my former house so far this year. There will be about another 148 of them this year. Just average! But I'm so terrified of being bottled to death by some ned. NOOOOOEZ!!11

Third world america. The ethiopian food there is amazing, though!

Right, well if I can't say what I want to say in this thread I'll be signing off for now and will be making even less of a contribution to this site in the future. It's a bad case of the tail wagging the dog whilst we all pussy foot around, pandering to minorities and morons.

Good day.

just find it a bit strange you come on an Aberdeen Forum and slag off an Aberdeen accent. To me that is asking for a backlash.

But as you say - you shouldnt judge anyone on their accent...

I live in Aberdeen. And I actually don't mind it. Like I initially said - it's safe.

I like the Uni, I've made great friends here etc.

But I saw a thread saying "thoughts on Aberdeen" and posted a good and a bad thing about the city only to find people half-reading my posts and calling me a cunt.

As for your last line - are you being smart or sincere? I don't get it.

It also takes money to re-locate. You can't just up and leave somewhere simply because you want to. Ok, I managed it, but with a lot of help from other people (I saved on money by having friends help me move and a house ready for me to move into), but not everyone gets that opportunity.

My tuppence worth, however, I loved Aberdeen, but I'd gotten to a point where I felt there was more out there to see and do - plus the majority of my friends live in other places, so there were very few that were even close by. I'm not born and raised in Aberdeen, in fact, I'm not even Scottish, and have lived in several places. I'm in Glasgow just now and I don't even intend to stay here forever. I'll say this, though: Aberdeen's probably been my favourite city to live in so far. I love the accent, I love the music scene, I love the fact it's not a huge city (in the grand scheme), but it's not a tiny place where everyone knows everyone either. I love that it's near the sea and at the same time, you're never far from the countryside and some amazing scenery. You don't get that in Glasgow, London or Burnley.

I miss the place, but at the same time, I don't see me moving back there now that I've gone, not for any other reason than I'm happy where I am and have other places I'd like to go in future.

Im not saying its easy to do and it does take saving and planning. I did it and lived in the States for 5 years but it can be done. I thought the grass was greener and i was sick of it here. But i did the US thing and the Europe thing for a bit too but i still think Aberdeen is a great place to live. I may move away again but it does take cash - and balls which is more important. If ppl dont like it they should grow a set and give live somewhere else a try.