aberdeen-music

thoughts on aberdeen

Ollie

The big problem with Aberdeen as I see it, is the lack of communication between the different sectors of the artistic community. I was recently at the Creative Cultures Scotland Networking night, I was speaking to the guys from Peacocks Visual Arts Centre and there plans for the new Art centre on Union Terrace garden look pretty awesome, they see it as a sort of creative Hub for aberdeen with bands playing (did I mention the seven bars yet!!) artists, plays and all sorts going on. My belief is that the arts sector holds the key for Aberdeen moving forward as a city (the oil is going give it fifty years or so!), unfortunately the council are having some difficulties (understatement of the century), but i was speaknig to the guy in charge of grants for the creative sector and the funding is still there for projects you just have to be a little bit more creative about how you apply for it. I guess what I'm trying to say is that Aberdeen can be as good or as bad as you choose to make it, the choice is really up to you whether you want to put the effort in. But I reckon the new Union Terrace Arts Centre is definately a step in the right direction. F.Y.I they have currently raised 10 mil for the project they still require another 4 mill , so dig deep lads! Haha!

Complaining is good and people ought to do it more often.

For example, another thing I hate about aberdeen is the state of most of the bakeries and sandwhich shops (fuck it, local cuisine on the whole). Most of that shit isn't fit to feed to animals, letalone appetising. Scotch pies? Sausage rolls made of stinking beef and the stodgiest pastry imaginable? Orange cheese? It's sickening, you can't even buy a decent loaf of bread in this dump.

edit> but the locals just accept it and keep their heads down and think its a treat to eat that swill.

thats what you get for shopping in Aldi's you tink.

Everything within Aberdeen is connected to the oil industry and when the finite resource eventually dries up then the city is fooked!

Obviously not true. All the petroleum engineers and geologists are going to get jobs on Donald Trump's golf course, don't you even read the Evening Express?

Is it free?

Am I likely to get the same range of products as I would if I visited the supermarket?

I've never used it myself but a quick read of the website says it's not free delivery but you should get the same choice as you do at the supermarket. It's coming from the same supermarket you'd shop at after all.

I know of at least 2 artisan bakeries in or near the city centre. Haven't tried them myself but I'm pretty sure you could get a decent loaf from them.

As for sandwich shops G-Dawgs on Holburn Street, despite the shit name, has some excellent sandwich choices that you don't find in the other city centre shops.

On the whole though, the average high street bakery is full of disgusting "local" food, and the sad thing is a lot of people are actually proud of that filth. (I'm including fish and chips in that)

Guest idol_wild
I've never used it myself but a quick read of the website says it's not free delivery but you should get the same choice as you do at the supermarket. It's coming from the same supermarket you'd shop at after all.

I'll check out the possibility.

I used to work in Asda in my student days and I'm sure the home delivery system had less choice and range of products.

Yeah but this isn't thee 'answer' to culturally moving forward/progressing

What mustn't happen is that the cultural sector sits back and waits for this to 'be' the solution we have all been waiting for. The only way the building will work is in it being becoming 'part' of an existing bigger picture and that bigger picture is everyone getting on and making their ideas and plans come to life and to not to talk shop all day.

The Peacock building, or whatever it will be called, has great potential but can only ever succeed as part of something and not as the something on it's own.

Guest idol_wild
On the whole though, the average high street bakery is full of disgusting "local" food, and the sad thing is a lot of people are actually proud of that filth. (I'm including fish and chips in that)

Try the Terroir French Deli on Thistle Street if you're ever in town.

It is utterly fantastic.

earl of sandwhich is surely deserving of a mention too, try the kitwhich, mmm.

kilau is good but it's quite expensive for what you get sometimes. i had a medium coffee and a baguette to take away and it cost me over 7 the last time i was there. it was good coffee and the baguette was affy fine but still, that's a lot of cash for two lunch items.

also anyone tried the bread maker on rosemount viaduct? it looks pretty good for a loaf. there's also loads of deli's round the west end on and just off great western road.

I'll check out the possibility.

I used to work in Asda in my student days and I'm sure the home delivery system had less choice and range of products.

whenever we've used it there's normally a few items which are out of stock but that's the same when you drive down there anyway.

earl of sandwhich is surely deserving of a mention too, try the kitwhich, mmm.

kilau is good but it's quite expensive for what you get sometimes. i had a medium coffee and a baguette to take away and it cost me over 7 the last time i was there. it was good coffee and the baguette was affy fine but still, that's a lot of cash for two lunch items.

also anyone tried the bread maker on rosemount viaduct? it looks pretty good for a loaf. there's also loads of deli's round the west end on and just off great western road.

Earl is quality...

I'm more your Notrious BIG kinda guy - cant beat it. Though i do like the thickness of bread at Bruce Millers Sandwich bit...and they usually ram it with anything they can get there hands on.

Guest bluesxman

I lived in Edinburgh for a year a while back, off South Clerk Street, just round the corner from Arthurs Seat etc. Walk up there after a night out and it was pretty much like Union Street, neds fighting, tramps, junkies, general drunken dodgers, etc. The posh bars on George Street were full of drunken office workers a la Simpsons, Dizzys etc. The much trumpeted and many bars on Rose Street were mainly a mixture of your Grill/Belmont type bars. I sourced alternative night clubs only to find them dead. The busy nightclubs were of the Amadeus ilk and so to be avoided. I think for the time I was there there were maybe 4 or 5 gigs at the Liquid Rooms that took my fancy. Went to some small gigs at the Attic to see minor alternative acts and it was pretty dead.

Apart from the bonny castle, gardens and monuments in the centre of the city, giving it a more cultural air, there are more similarities than youd perhaps like to think between there and here. Step away from the centre in any direction and you are in areas that should be pretty much avoided. Princes Street remains less intimidating than Union Street purely because there are no boozers located on it.

And whoever thinks Dundee is somehow superior to Aberdeen is having a laugh, been on several days/nights out there and it is truly dire.

The produce found in bakers in Aberdeen is consistent in all Scottish cities by the way.