aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

I saw the new Robocop movie.  To be honest I thought it was a generic action movie, nothing more.  All it made me want to do was watch the original.  The thing that most struck me is much better in the original Robocop - the baddies were waaaaaaay badder.  Dick Jones vs. Raymond Sellars?  Clarence Boddicker vs. Antoine Vallon?  No contest.  The fact that I had to look up the names of the characters two days after seeing it when I haven't seen the original Robocop for YEARS says something about either the frivolousness of the characters or my short term memory.  Of course being a 12A it was never going to match the almost comedic violence of the original (no melting baddies in toxic waste then) so it's perhaps an unfair comparison, but I didn't believe for one minute that the place was going to hell before Robocop came on the scene.  The bit at the start in Tehran was just Team America without the puppets.

Suffice to say I won't be upset if I never see it again.

I really liked it, i thought it was the only way you could do something as iconic as Robocop was to totally change the focus of the script, this time onto the family of Murphy and the creator of Robocop which was touched upon in the original but not as much. I thought it had enough nice touches as tributes of the original, and much as I liked the original at the time, this one was done in a way for modern audiences, the Samuel L Jackson character was spot on with some of the Fox news type talk show hosts and it gave the whole thing an interesting view, I really liked it, they kept the music, the ED 209's and the occasional one liners (I just wish they had kept Lewis as a women as the strong female character that she was was missing a bit). I thought it was a decent update, you can't just remake a classic as it was it has to be doing something different, same as I quite liked the Total Recall update too.

Maniac

Elijah Wood plays a maniac with mummy issues. Gf hated it but I thought it was pretty good, even if it was a little poorly executed.

The Devils Rejects

Not a massive fan of Rob Zombie after seeing his remakes, but I really enjoyed this in a over the top way

House of 1000 Corpses

I never knew TDR was a sequel to this, so I put this on. Captain Spaulding was on top form but the rest of the film was a bit of a let down.

Teeth

Would have been better if the girl was hot enough to make you go "yeah I'd risk a cock munching for that", but sadly she wasn't.

The Amityville Horror (2007)

Ryan Reynolds. Wasn't very good.

Apartment 143

Found footage kind of dealy. I really enjoyed it.

Tucker & Dale vs Evil

This was my favourite out of what we've watched over the past few nights. Absolutely fantastic. Would watch again.

• Upvote 2

Tucker & Dale vs Evil

This was my favourite out of what we've watched over the past few nights. Absolutely fantastic. Would watch again.

You're the second person in as many weeks who has said to watch this. Is it actually as good as you say or a bit of an exaggeration because it doesn't come across as something I can be bothered wasting a few measley hours on.

You're the second person in as many weeks who has said to watch this. Is it actually as good as you say or a bit of an exaggeration because it doesn't come across as something I can be bothered wasting a few measley hours on.

I can third the recommendation. Light hearted gory comedy. It reminded me a bit of One Day Removals with a better budget.

• Upvote 1

Filth

James McAvoy plays Bruce Robertson, an alcoholic cop in Edinburgh fucking over his colleagues in an effort to gain a promotion while also trying to solve a murder case. Lots of shagging, drinking, drugs, swearing. I wasn't convinced when I heard McAvoy was starring in this, I imagined the character as being older after reading the book years back and despite his being a decent enough actor he didn't seem right. I was mistaken, he is awesome in this. Its a great film too.

9/10

• Upvote 1

I also tried to watch Movie 43. Terrible. Was going to turn off during the first sketch. Thought I should hold out. I didn't. As soon as the ball-neck thing ended, so did my viewing.

The ball neck is probably the weakest sketch. The second is poor as well. They kind of did that wrong. Have another go at it though. It gets better and better as it goes on.

Watched a few films on Netflix recently.

Tucker and Dale Vs Evil

tucker-and-dale-vs-evil-movie-poster.jpg[/

As mentioned previously in this thread, this film is a nice take on the slasher/horror cabin in the woods story. Genuine super lollybobs in the chainsaw bee's nest scene. Lots of fun.

8/10

Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me

big_star_nothing_can_hurt_me.jpg

A documentary on Memphis Power Pop band Big Star, a favourite of mine. This documentary also focusses on what happened to the members after they split. It's all pretty sad, giving the nature of the group's story. My only criticism is that it seems to gloss over big chunks of the band's story, and I would liked to have seen some more of the footage from the Big Star/Alex Chilton SxSw show.

7/10

Valhalla Rising

Valhalla-Rising-Poster.jpg

Mads Mikkelson plays a viking who has been enslaved by some Scotch highlander folks, and forced to beat other slaves to death for the lollybobs. Turns out that he isn't that keen on this, escapes, disembowels guys and is a general badass. He ends up meeting some Scotch Christians who are keen on finding the promised land. Like you do. So, he joins up with them, it all goes a bit wrong and they drink some psychedelic buckfast and it gets even worse. Oh aye, and Mads keeps having premonitions about stuff. It's an odd film and I'm not sure my description is the best.

7/10

Lego Movie

Suprisingly, a great film. A lot of the humour is definitely for adults who played with lego as a kid, but easily accesible for kids too.

Hadn't realise the full cast; Charlie Day, Will Arnett, Alison Brie, Nick Offerman, Chris Pratt. Amazing!

Only downside to it is that annoyingly catchy song 'Everything Is Awesome'.

Bones Brigade Documentary

Felt quite long, but interesting documentary about the skate crew Tony Hawk, Rodney Mullen and that started off in.

That's a good doc. I didn't realise how widely hated Tony Hawk was when he was up-and-coming.

Rodney Mullen seems like the most sincere person on earth, and just an all round great guy. He seems to philosophise everything, when really, he's talking about riding a skateboard. Quite a surreal character.

There's another good skateboarding documentary on Netflix, about the wasteland skatepark, Skatopia. It's a good watch. The owner is a total bastard.

Edited by Joda Serk

That's a good doc. I didn't realise how widely hated Tony Hawk was when he was up-and-coming.

Rodney Mullen seems like the most sincere person on earth, and just an all round great guy. He seems to philosophise everything, when really, he's talking about riding a skateboard. Quite a surreal character.

There's another good skateboarding documentary on Netflix, about the wasteland skatepark, Skatopia. It's a good watch. The owner is a total bastard.

I'll stick that on the now, as long as Fraser doesn't cancel his netflix yet.

I liked Lords of Dogtown, but struggled to get in to the documentary Dogtown & Z-Boys.

Rodney Mullen definitely seems to have a few problems, but yeah, seems like the nicest most sincere person ever. I can't really remember any of the Tony Hawk games but if he was in it his cutscenes must have taken fucking ages to record.