aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Everything Super low budget (about 50k) film starring Ray Winstone as a guy who visits a soho prossie, just to talk. Good watch, don't read the IMDB review as it gave away a big spoiler.

Let Me In Yes, the remake. I'm a philistine and can't be arsed reading subtitles on a Fridya night with beer and Doritos. If you are so inclined, I don't think you have much to lose watching this remake. It's a very good film in it's own right with some amazing set pieces, the swimming pool in particular. I'll probably watch the original sometime.

Predators Had heard this was pish and wasn't expecting much. Was pleasantly surprised for the first half, but it got silly very quickly.

This 'True Grit' remake just appeared on me, hadn't read anything about it and I was initially thinking 'it will be pish'. But I like most of the Coen Brothers films and Jeff Bridges is great. The clips I saw on the BAFTAS look great so I'm sold, need to go see.

I have recently watched -

RED

Bruce Willis as an ex-Black Ops man who escapes an attempt on his life and gathers his old comrades together to help find out what the feck is going on. John Malkovich is good fun as a slightly crazy guy, Morgan Freeman is pretty underused and I definitely have a thing for Helen Mirren. Pretty stupid but pretty ace.

9/10

Four Lions

Chris Morris film about would-be Jihadists. Really funny IMO.

9/10

The Reader

Kate Winslet has an affair with a young loon who later finds she has a dodgy past when he attends a court trial as a student. The romance bit seems a tad dodgy. If the roles were reversed there would be an outcry I suspect. The whole plot device seems a bit out of wack if you consider it too much. Still an OK watch though. Kate still gets her kit off loads.

8/10

True Grit

I saw this on Monday night and very much enjoyed it. The dialogue was fantastic, and the film was very well paced. The performance of virtual unknown Hailee Steinfeld is particularly good. I was surprised that Josh Brolin was included on the poster as he is in about 3 scenes in the movie.

8/10

Watched true grit......I seem to have seen a dfrent true grit from you guys as i thought it was pish.....Aye ok Hailee Steinfeld is a very good actress and jeff bridges a good actor but yaaawn i was soooo bored....

This is simply my opinion, and im not saying dont watch it...different strokes for different folks an all that...

Today was a big sofa day for me.

Funny People. Better than I expected it to be. Pretty funny at times but not an out and out comedy. Sandler is actually really good and Rogen et al provide their reliably, yet ocassionally samey brand of funnies. WAY TOO LONG though. Like, almost 3 hours. Ridiculous. Left me feeling pretty gloomy, but worth a watch I suppose. 7/10

He's Just Not that Into you. Yeah, I don't know why I watched this either, but I did. Lots of annoying characters, sweeping generalisations about people and love. Essentially Love Actually, but american and not at Christmas. Scarlett Johanson in her bra salvages a point. 1/10

He's Just Not that Into you. Yeah, I don't know why I watched this either, but I did. Lots of annoying characters, sweeping generalisations about people and love. Essentially Love Actually, but american and not at Christmas. Scarlett Johanson in her bra salvages a point. 1/10

Fuck I obviously bailed out of that one too early when the missus watched it...but probably saved myself from a clip round the ear as well...

Defendor with Woody Harrelson and that chick with the huge lips from Nick and Norah/40 Year Old Virgin. It's superhero movie without the superheros, really funny in places, quite touching at the end.

Before that was Spun by Jonas Akerlund and starring Jason Schwartzman, Mickey Rourke and Brittany Murphy among others. Deals with a group of speed addicts. Kinda hard to watch, but it's worth the effort.

Over the last few weeks we've watched....

The Girl Who Played With Fire

Bitterly diappointing 2nd installment of the Millenium Trilogy. Convoluted plot that has too many undeveloped threads. A lot of superlatives are being thrown at the titular star, Noomi Rapace and to be fair she was great in the excellent first movie. In this one, she just seems to glower and smoke tabs! I sincerly hope that The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's nest is a vast improvement on this. 4/10

The Reef

Well-made and acted, but ultimately generic based-on-actual-events shark movie. 6/10

Wall Street : Money Never Sleeps

Entertaining sequel to the 1987 original. Shia LaBeouf is shaping up as a great young actor and Michael Douglas is on form again as Gordon Gekko. 7/10

Winters Bone

Knockout performance by Jennifer Lawrence as a 17-year-old girl trying to track down her bail-jumping dad before the Bondsmen foreclose on their house. The more she digs into his diasappearance, the more she gets told to drop it. Set in a harsh, poverty-stricken Ozark Mountain environment. Superb. 9/10

The Secrets in Their Eyes

Fabulous and complex Argentinian mystery about a retired civil servant who is writing a book about a brutal murder/rape case he was involved in back in 1974. The movie flits between '74 and it's present (around 2000 I think) as he delves into past and the mystery unfolds. Best movie I've seen in ages.

9.75/10 (loses .25 for the machine-gun rapid dialogue and subtitles - not it's fault I admit)

Before that was Spun by Jonas Akerlund and starring Jason Schwartzman, Mickey Rourke and Brittany Murphy among others. Deals with a group of speed addicts. Kinda hard to watch, but it's worth the effort.

I found out about this film due to the BIlly Corgan connection (Zwan did the soundtrack and teh b0lly has a brief cameo), and I'd agree that it is a bit a difficult watch at times, but ultimately rewarding.

Today was a big sofa day for me.

Funny People. Better than I expected it to be. Pretty funny at times but not an out and out comedy. Sandler is actually really good and Rogen et al provide their reliably, yet ocassionally samey brand of funnies. WAY TOO LONG though. Like, almost 3 hours. Ridiculous. Left me feeling pretty gloomy, but worth a watch I suppose. 7/10

Agreed. Way too long for a funny film. I liked the fat kid from Superbad's brief appearances. It seems quite clear he was given the instruction "appear in this scene and say whatever you want" as he rarely really intertwines with the plot. He just appears and says funny stuff. The best kind of comedy film characters.

The Social Network which was as good as I'd heard, well cast, written and a Trent Reznor soundtrack.

Don't let the subject matter put you off if Facebook passed you by...

...there's only one serial page refreshing scene and that was obviously a joke

Agreed.

Highly entertaining and funny as hell. The Harvard Twins were hilarious!

Burn After Reading - a spy caper from the Coens. Brad Pitt and Frances McDormend play a couple of dimwit gym employees who happen across a cd full of classfied information belonging to grizzled drunken ex spy Ozzy (played by John Malkovic). After a flubbed attempt at blackmailing him, they try to sell the information to the Russians and find themselves in over their heads. George Clooney rounds out the cast as a womanising treasurer who's shagging Ozzy's wife, and also Frances McDermond. Needless to say it all gets messy and everyones lives get intertangled. Funny and entertaining. Star turns from the 4 main cast.

Burn After Reading - a spy caper from the Coens. Brad Pitt and Frances McDormend play a couple of dimwit gym employees who happen across a cd full of classfied information belonging to grizzled drunken ex spy Ozzy (played by John Malkovic). After a flubbed attempt at blackmailing him, they try to sell the information to the Russians and find themselves in over their heads. George Clooney rounds out the cast as a womanising treasurer who's shagging Ozzy's wife, and also Frances McDermond. Needless to say it all gets messy and everyones lives get intertangled. Funny and entertaining. Star turns from the 4 main cast.

The bit where Malkovich smacks Brad Pitt on the nose is amazing