aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Went to see the men who stare at goats at the weekend, was a good film, good cast, and as the missus said it was good going to watch a film that didn't shoe horn a love story into it. Lots of little sniggers when Jedi was mentioned in the presence of or in relation to Ewan MacGregor's character.

I left the cinema feeling a bit 'meh' after seeing this film. I think if you chopped it into three then I very much enjoyed the middle section, but anything before they get into the desert and the ending left me feeling slightly disappointed. I'd say it's a decent enough film though. Was less than convinced by Ewan McGregor though. Probably a 6/10.

Paranormal Activity - What a load of over-hyped bollocks. It's being touted as "the scariest movie ever", but it's mostly just a piss-poor Blair Witch rip-off. No atmosphere or suspense, and even the cheap shocks were crap. Although the version I saw online is meant to have a poorer ending than the cinema version.

Is this the one that cost $15000 to make and made over $100million?? Bet the directors nae given a shite if it's bad tho!! haha

Fish Tank - Uk movie bout a bit of a loner girl who is brought up in with her mum and sister, and has a crush on her mum's new boyfriend. She longs to be a dancer and befriends a local pikey....quite a good film, with lots of swearing (mad eit seem more real haha) anda few moments which seemed not quite right. It did keep me gripped tho and wasn't a huge blockbuster, but worth a watch

Recent wonders have been:

JCVD: biggest shock of the year, unexpectedly great.

District 9: great, and believable, sci-fi until the last 20 mins.

Whatever Works: Larry David AND Woody Allen, still not been mentioned in the UK though?!?!?!

Scream: in anticipation of No. 4

Hard Candy: oooocha!!!

Run Lola Run: still one of the best foreign films out there.

Film Review Site

Saw 'Men Who Stare at Goats' last week. Didn't find it hilarious, but did enjoy it. The humour is at times incredibly dry, which was great as far as I was concerned, but probably one of the reasons the few other people in the cinema didn't really ever laugh. The jokes aren't delivered in any way to suggest they are actually jokes, but if you like that kind of comedy, its definitely worth a watch.

Also, Walt Disney and Jesus Christ are mentioned in the same breath. Which was fantastic.

Last night went to see Harry Brown. Very good movie indeed. Not so much the story, which is relatively unoriginal, but just how the movie runs and looks. Very slow burning for the first section, but never feels like it drags. Really works on emphasising just how drak and desolate the lives of some of the people in these estates are. Also, one of the most brutal movies I've seen in quite a while.

Not a nice movie by any stretch of the imagination, but certainly a very entertaining one.

Into The Wild - A very interesting film which I didn't realise was based on a true story until the credits rolled. At it's heart, it's a road movie, but it's quite an inspirational one. It's beautifully shot and you really get a sense of the sheer isolation of the icy plains of Alaska, and the films really succeeds in making you feel a connection with with the lead character. The problems with it: A) for the first 20 minutes or so, the main character comes across as a complete arsehole. I wondered if I was going to be able to sit through another two hours of him. Thankfully I stuck it out and I'm glad I did. B) In a film which is largely character based, the Danish couple he encounters are far too cartoony to be real people. C) It tries to hard to hammer home the "modern society is bad" message. D) The ending. I know it's a true story and they had to stick to what actually happened, but they didn't handle it in a very sensitive way, and it turned an inspirational film into a bit of a harrowing one.

Overall though, a really good film which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Rocky III - The grit and grime of the first two films are absent in this installment, and the series switches from being largely character-based to all out action, action, action from this film onwards. That said, it's still a damn enjoyable movie, and though it doesn't require much thinking, it will still have you cheering right to the end. Mr T is sublime in it, which is a phrase you don't hear very often.

I've seen into the wild a few times now and I still don't know where I stand on it. I absolutely love the whole journey atmosphere, the way it's shot and the soundtrack is incredible despite the fact I normally can't stand Eddie Vedder's voice when put to anything but Pearl Jam music. It is well paced and on the whole well acted. Even that bird from Twilight is good in it. I do, however, find it far too preachy and skewed in it's view of society so that takes it from being a brilliant film to being just a very good one that is a bit annoyingly holier than thou in places.

I've seen into the wild a few times now and I still don't know where I stand on it. I absolutely love the whole journey atmosphere, the way it's shot and the soundtrack is incredible despite the fact I normally can't stand Eddie Vedder's voice when put to anything but Pearl Jam music. It is well paced and on the whole well acted. Even that bird from Twilight is good in it. I do, however, find it far too preachy and skewed in it's view of society so that takes it from being a brilliant film to being just a very good one that is a bit annoyingly holier than thou in places.

Yeah agreed, the soundtrack is brilliant. In fact I've kinda done things back to front with this film - I got the soundtrack first because I'm a big Pearl Jam fan and I wanted to hear Eddie Vedder's "solo" album. Then because I liked the soundtrack album I watched the film. Then because I liked the film I bought the book.

You're right about it feeling a bit preachy. You see him having a glorious time out in the countryside, but then as soon as you see him getting near civiliisation he gets beat up, or gets in trouble with the rozzers, or sees junkies and homeless people and stuff. As I said in my post, it tries too hard to hammer home the "Modern society is bad" message. Still, it's a good film. :popcorn:

Welcome to the brown star club btw.

New Moon. Saw it today and it was very enjoyable!!

I saw this last night, really enjoyed it, probably more than the first one. When Jacob strips off his t-shirt and practically the whole cinema gasped/swooned then giggled for 5 mins was very amusing! haha

Have to say I do find Robert Pattinson rather attractive so this helped!

Also went to see The Christmas Carol 3D with my niece's, thought the dialogue was a bit much for children but, overall quite an ejoyable take on the story. The detail was amazing and it was slightly spooky and amusing

Yeah agreed, the soundtrack is brilliant. In fact I've kinda done things back to front with this film - I got the soundtrack first because I'm a big Pearl Jam fan and I wanted to hear Eddie Vedder's "solo" album. Then because I liked the soundtrack album I watched the film. Then because I liked the film I bought the book.

You're right about it feeling a bit preachy. You see him having a glorious time out in the countryside, but then as soon as you see him getting near civiliisation he gets beat up, or gets in trouble with the rozzers, or sees junkies and homeless people and stuff. As I said in my post, it tries too hard to hammer home the "Modern society is bad" message. Still, it's a good film. :popcorn:

Welcome to the brown star club btw.

I keep meaning to get the soundtrack. I hope it's not interspersed with Theroux quotes and stuff coz I just want to hear the tunes. Last word about the film...the old geezer hit the heart strings. If i was a runaway with a total lack of respect for the people who raised me i'd let him be my dad.

p.s. thought i'd celebrate the induction to the anus club with an avatar. Been long enough to get round to it.

I keep meaning to get the soundtrack. I hope it's not interspersed with Theroux quotes and stuff coz I just want to hear the tunes. Last word about the film...the old geezer hit the heart strings. If i was a runaway with a total lack of respect for the people who raised me i'd let him be my dad.

p.s. thought i'd celebrate the induction to the anus club with an avatar. Been long enough to get round to it.

Speaking of Avatar, I saw a advert for it on the telly the other night, and the CGI looks fucking gash.

Rocky 4 - I think nostalgia must have been kind to this film in my head, because before I put it on I told my girlfriend it's one of the best in the series. However by the end it was quite apparent it was a bit of a turkey. The main problem with this film though is it was just so incredibly rushed. There was no time taken to build up tension, to build up the characters, or even to give Apollo Creed a decent send-off. The film clocks in at a miniscule 1 hour 20 minutes, and at least ten minutes of that are spent on a pre-credits recap of Rocky 3 and on a sequence of clips from the previous 3 films after Apollo dies. Another ten minutes are spent showing two training sessions as Rocky chops wood, runs up mountains etc. as inspirational 80s music plays in the background. This leaves less than an hour to actually tell the story and it really shows. It pretty much goes like this:

Pre-credits - Rocky 3 recap

Credits, including a montage of Ivan Drago smashing cunt's dishes in.

Scene 1 - Apollo turns up at Rocky's house and says he wants to fight Apollo

Scene 2 - Pre-fight press conference

Scene 3 - Apollo vs Drago fight

Scene 4 - Apollo funeral (all 1 minute of it) and a montage of clips from Rocky 1-3

Scene 5 - Rocky announces he wants to fight Drago, and flies to Russia

Scene 6 - Training montages

Scene 7 - Rocky vs Drago

End.

Another half hour of running time would have given them a chance to really tell the story (maybe see folk greiving for Apollo, a bit more of an introduction to Ivan Drago, who is only ever on screen when he's fighting, and remarkably only has 6 lines in the whole film) but it's so just rushed and they've missed out so much. It feels like an episode of a TV program rather than a film. Also, the talking robot pretty much pinpoints the exact moment where the series jumped the shark, there's too much cheesy Cold War "Why can't we all get along?" nonsense, and it plays like a feature length Adidas advert - seriously count all the three-stripe product placement!

Not total ding, but not far off.

Juno - seen it at the cinema before and enjoyed it immensely. It's not so good the second time round when you know what to expect, but it's still a lot of fun to watch. Ellen Page is great in it. Brilliant soundtrack as well.

Really? She was the reason I didn't like it as much as I wanted to. I thought she was annoying. Just everything she said seemed really forced for some reason. I liked Michael Cera though. He's great, in everything he's in, especially Arrested Development.

Rocky 4 - I think nostalgia must have been kind to this film in my head, because before I put it on I told my girlfriend it's one of the best in the series. However by the end it was quite apparent it was a bit of a turkey. The main problem with this film though is it was just so incredibly rushed. There was no time taken to build up tension, to build up the characters, or even to give Apollo Creed a decent send-off. The film clocks in at a miniscule 1 hour 20 minutes, and at least ten minutes of that are spent on a pre-credits recap of Rocky 3 and on a sequence of clips from the previous 3 films after Apollo dies. Another ten minutes are spent showing two training sessions as Rocky chops wood, runs up mountains etc. as inspirational 80s music plays in the background. This leaves less than an hour to actually tell the story and it really shows. It pretty much goes like this:

Pre-credits - Rocky 3 recap

Credits, including a montage of Ivan Drago smashing cunt's dishes in.

Scene 1 - Apollo turns up at Rocky's house and says he wants to fight Apollo

Scene 2 - Pre-fight press conference

Scene 3 - Apollo vs Drago fight

Scene 4 - Apollo funeral (all 1 minute of it) and a montage of clips from Rocky 1-3

Scene 5 - Rocky announces he wants to fight Drago, and flies to Russia

Scene 6 - Training montages

Scene 7 - Rocky vs Drago

End.

Another half hour of running time would have given them a chance to really tell the story (maybe see folk greiving for Apollo, a bit more of an introduction to Ivan Drago, who is only ever on screen when he's fighting, and remarkably only has 6 lines in the whole film) but it's so just rushed and they've missed out so much. It feels like an episode of a TV program rather than a film. Also, the talking robot pretty much pinpoints the exact moment where the series jumped the shark, there's too much cheesy Cold War "Why can't we all get along?" nonsense, and it plays like a feature length Adidas advert - seriously count all the three-stripe product placement!

Not total ding, but not far off.

It's not so remarkable if you recall that he is played by Dolph Lundgren. Has the guy ever done a film with number of lines in double figures? In Universal Soldier he even made JCVD look like De Niro FFS.

I should point out that after seeing 'JCVD' the movie I have a new found respect for the man himself. 'Hard Target' was also a supreme 'shite but good' movie. His mullet was amazing in that....

Really? She was the reason I didn't like it as much as I wanted to. I thought she was annoying. Just everything she said seemed really forced for some reason. I liked Michael Cera though. He's great, in everything he's in, especially Arrested Development.

I do like Michael Cera but he plays pretty much the same slightly bewildered sort in everything he is in.

Arrested Development is all kinds of ace, i'm going to plough through the DVD's again once I'm done with Curb Your Enthusiasm series 6....

When Jacob strips off his t-shirt and practically the whole cinema gasped/swooned then giggled for 5 mins was very amusing! haha

Have to say I do find Robert Pattinson rather attractive so this helped!

This happened when I saw it too!! Felt like I was 14 again!! Haha.

And yes... R-Pattz, as the tabloids have nicknamed him, is rather lovely!!

Speaking of Avatar, I saw a advert for it on the telly the other night, and the CGI looks fucking gash.

It looks like Fern Gully in space if you ask me.

Saw 2012 yesterday. It veered between decent scenes of shit getting destroyed and oodles and oodles of contrived, clichd emotional bullshit. It was about 45 minutes too long and they wasted far too much time developing completely needless plotlines. You don't have to give every single secondary character a long, drawn-out "saying goodbye to my loved ones" scene, for God's sake. Whoever wrote this script should be shot.

Also, during the film there's a big section where a bunch of Americans are getting into helicopters and planes to reach these big arks they've built to save the population. At one point, they have some actor playing Arnie, advising his Californian constituents about how to best cope under the cicumstances. Why the FUCK did they not have him drop a "GET TO DA CHOPPAAAAA"?!

Idiots.

This happened when I saw it too!! Felt like I was 14 again!! Haha.

And yes... R-Pattz, as the tabloids have nicknamed him, is rather lovely!!

ha ha ha yeah it did!!

I also much prefer his body to Jacob's!

Third is out in July 2010 ;)

In the essence of all things fair and in the words of Lionel Richie: "All night long..."

kristen-stewart.jpg