aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Transporter 3. Not as stoopid as 2 but not as good as the first one (I am aware that appreciation of the first one is down to individual preference - I kind of like Jason Statham, even if his films can be a bit shady they are also good escapist fun for the main part).

The first Transporter is brilliant action with some great fight scenes. But I had to turn off the second one after the "get the bomb off the bottom of the car" sequence. A film ruined by the director being given the keys to the CGI locker.

Haven't gotten round to watching 3, if it's more like 1 I might like it. If it's still full of CGI stunts I'll probably hate it.

As per Johnny's link, there is a Region 2 release (it was released in Holland). If i remember correctly half of the box art/information is in Dutch, half in English. It is the same content-wise as the US Region 1 release though i think.

I guess there's an argument for watching it in NTSC anyway, seeing as it was (presumably) filmed in NTSC.

The first Transporter is brilliant action with some great fight scenes. But I had to turn off the second one after the "get the bomb off the bottom of the car" sequence. A film ruined by the director being given the keys to the CGI locker.

Haven't gotten round to watching 3, if it's more like 1 I might like it. If it's still full of CGI stunts I'll probably hate it.

Yeah that scene killed 2 for me as well - IIRC it was right at the start of the film as well.

3 is still nowhere near as good as 1 but because 2 lowered your expectations so much it is still watchable.

I watched Be Kind Rewind last night. Really liked it, alot. I'm probably going rank it as one of my favourite films and I can't wait to watch it again sometime.

The ending was brilliant. It was quite sad, but heart warming with accomplishment. Jack Black was obviously given a license to do his own thing on occasion, which is always enjoyable.

Highly recommended.

I love Jack Black so I was really looking forward to seeing it, but I just found the whole film dull and annoying. It's not the first turkey he's made like, anyone seen "Envy" with him and Ben Stiller? That literally is the worst film I've ever seen.

The film had been shot almost two years before its release, and was in danger of going straight-to-video in the US due to poor audience response during test screenings. It was only due to Jack Black's School of Rock (2003) that it finally got a theatrical release. Nevertheless, the film performed poorly in US theaters, so much that it was released straight-to-video in Europe and Australia[citation needed].

At the 2004 Cannes Film Festival, during a press conference for Shark Tale (2004), both Jack Black and Dreamworks' Jeffrey Katzenberg publicly apologized for Envy.

envy_original.jpg

Watched "Drag me to hell" last night. Got a bit tiresome halfway through and I saw the ending coming a good 20 minutes before it happened.

Asides that, good fun, gross out horror :D

7.5/10

It is quite a good fun movie, I always check my ceiling for anvils when I walk into a room now.

I love Jack Black so I was really looking forward to seeing it, but I just found the whole film dull and annoying. It's not the first turkey he's made like, anyone seen "Envy" with him and Ben Stiller? That literally is the worst film I've ever seen.

envy_original.jpg

Oh god. I was so excited about seeing Envy. Picked it up cheap in Asda and everything. I was so disappointed. I expect Jack Black to play the insufferable bell end in every film he's in, but instead he's the nice successful guy. What a waste!

I love him in Evil Woman and High Fidelity. My favourite Jack Black moments.

Really liked Be Kind though. Not sure why. I mean, as you say, it was dull and dreary, and Mike was an annoying character, but I just loved it. The storyline was very original and quite heart warming if a little bit teenage fairytale, like an episode of Hey Arnold, where everything goes a little bit too perferctly sometimes. I quite liked that though. The comedy was subtle but I definitely gave it plenty of chuckles.

Vanishing Point: drug-fuelled car delivery across America in an ol Ford, but unless you love films where its just about cars and chases... you probably wont take much from this. If you like funky soul music from the early 70s it would make the film even better! Hasnt really dated well (nam, hippies and homophobia) and the plots very thin, as are the characters and dialogue. Some OK car stunts redeem it, but itll always be a cult film. 4/10

Street Kings: a crime-drama from some of the guys that brought us the crime-dramas Training Day, Harsh Times & S.W.A.T - you kind of know what youre getting! Keanu Reeves may as well have been a bit of timber with a face drawn on (again) but the rest of the cast were pretty good - Forrest Whittaker in particular. The story twists and turns along at a good pace, and keeps you thoroughly entertained throughout. Also, couldnt feature a Latino gang without Noel Gugliemi (pic below): possibly the most obvious typecast ever! Exceeded my expectations 8/10

noel-gugliemi1.jpg

"I'm like the ultimate gang-banger homes!!!"

I watched a fuckload of movies last weekend, some good some bad.

Enter The Dragon - watched it a million times but it's still fucking boss. Even the music is amazing. It takes like an hour for Bruce Lee to have his first fight and you're on the edge of your seat waiting for it, he does not disappoint.

Thumbs 100% UP

Jurassic Park 3 - A shameless cash in and a poor plot that doesn't really go anywhere. Not as good as Jurassic Park 2, and THAT's saying something.

Thumbs DOWN

Sleepy Hollow - haven't seen this in years and forgot pretty much everything about it. Typically creepy Tim Burton sets and a usual star turn from Johnny Depp as Ichabod Crane. Christina Ricci doesn't get much to do in her first grown-up role, but she handles it well. Very good.

Thumbs UP

Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging - How I ended up watching this pap I'll never know. Utterly repellant. Too much rudeness for a kids film, too kiddy for a grown up film, I guess this is what they call "tweenage". All the jokes felt contrived, the dialogue was cringeworthy (eg "I'm having a nervy B!") I hated the main character and most of the cast couldn't act. Special mention for Alan Davies who was horribly miscast, AND couldn't act. Just awful. The only good thing about it was Eleanor Tomlinson who plays the dim-bulb best friend Jas. She really lit up the screen in every scene she was in. Though I can't decide if she played the part as a little bit dim and sort of endearing in a sort of stupid puppy-like way, and acted it really well, or if she really REALLY couldn't act and that is just what she, the actress, is like. I guess we'll find out after a few more roles.

Everything else, thumbs DOWN.

The Trouble With Harry - At first I was a little perturbed at the thought of Hitchcock doing comedy, but after I got over that I actually quite enjoyed the film. It's very different to the rest of Hitchcock's canon, and doesn't really stand up to the films of today, but considering it was made in 1955 it's quite remarkable, considering some of the pap that was being made back then. The plot is a little slow in places and does start to drag, but the it's got the farce factor.

Thumbs MIDDLE

The Notorious Bettie Page - I watched this before but fell asleep before the end. I enjoyed it more the second time round, Gretchen Mol really plays the part wonderfully, though again I felt you didn't really get to see much of Bettie Page's personality, at least until the end. Not a must watch, but worth having a look if you've got a spare two hours.

Thumbs UP

Thirteen - The age old tale of a teenager going off the rails, Evan Rachel Wood plays a thirteen year old who gets into drugs, drinking, stealing and under-age sex. The plot is predictable and you can see what's coming most of the time, but it's worth watching this for ERW's performance, it is truly remarkable for a girl so young. In every scene you can see her just absolutely fizzing with hate, she plays the part like a hurricane, just full of destructive energy, steamrollering in and destroying in her path. Great film, great performance.

Thumbs UP

Enter The Dragon - watched it a million times but it's still fucking boss. Even the music is amazing. It takes like an hour for Bruce Lee to have his first fight and you're on the edge of your seat waiting for it, he does not disappoint.

Thumbs 100% UP

Spot-on! - ETD is the ONLY kung-fu movie worth watching. Everything else is pish.

Thirteen - great fillum.

Almost nearly just about watched The Curious Case of Benjamin Button last night - I was cunted, so chucked it after an hour or so. Looked nae too bad. Shades of Forrest Gump. Will resume watching tonight.

Spot-on! - ETD is the ONLY kung-fu movie worth watching. Everything else is pish.

Thirteen - great fillum.

Almost nearly just about watched The Curious Case of Benjamin Button last night - I was cunted, so chucked it after an hour or so. Looked nae too bad. Shades of Forrest Gump. Will resume watching tonight.

I've been meaning to watch that one for a while. Still, it would be a better film if halfway through Bruce Lee appeared with some claw marks on his abdomen and chest and kicked him onto a spear.

Bruce Lee fans should try and see the re-cut footage of Game Of Death, without all the really shitty lame studio bits they used as filler. It's amazing. I'm racking my brains to think of the DVD title for it though...

I had a whole bunch of Bruce Lee stuff on VHS, including the terrible "Game Of Death 2" which featured about 1 scene with Bruce Lee in it. I punted it all at Thainstone a few years ago though, I've been meaning to pick up some of his Hong Kong stuff on DVD.

The Wrestler. I thought it was pretty darn great. I've been a Mickey Rourke fan since I saw Angel Heart way way back and have been enjoying his slow climb back to decent films, he is really good in this, highly recommended.

Good call on Enter the Dragon, haven't watched in in a while, need to dig it out now all my DVD's have finally been unpacked. I've got the soundtrack as well, brilliant 'hoowaas' through the main theme...

I had a whole bunch of Bruce Lee stuff on VHS, including the terrible "Game Of Death 2" which featured about 1 scene with Bruce Lee in it. I punted it all at Thainstone a few years ago though, I've been meaning to pick up some of his Hong Kong stuff on DVD.

Bruce Lee: A Warrior's Journey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think that's the one I was thinking of. It's a documentary but has a more accurate, less bastardised version of Game Of Death and lots of great background on the film. Definitely worth a view if yer a fan.