aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

i saw a charming film from 2003 called heartlands this morning with michael sheen and a cast of some usual brit suspects - celia imrie, mark strong, mark addy, jim carter and a pre gavin and stacey ruth jones and james cordon. and paul 'hi de hi ho de ho' shane.

Went to see Benjamin Button last night. Was mostly entertaining but the corn syrup is quite liberally applied and some parts were far too close to Gump Land. It was long as well.

Would I see it in the cinema again? No.

Would I buy it? No.

Would I fall asleep in front of it on a Sunday with a hangover? Probably.

Still strikes me as an unusual choice for Fincher to make this movie.

I watched Notorious last night, which was absolutely brilliant.

I don't really know enough about Biggie as a person to comment on how accurate the portrayal of him was, but they painted him as a sort of gentle giant who didn't want to hurt anyone, and was sucked into the world of drug dealing and gangs against his will to look after his daughter. I'm not entirely convinced this really is the case (especially given that the contributors to the movie were his best friend P Diddy and his mother), but it made for pretty compelling viewing.

The actor who played him put in a great performance, as did the actress who played Lil' Kim, and the guy who played Tupac. My only complaint about the movie was that it felt really rushed in places, and the running time could have done with being a bit longer to delve into his character a bit further. For example his year in prison passed in about 20 seconds, and they didn't really touch on his other arrests and brushes with the law. The East Coast / West coast rivalry, which is pretty central to Biggie's life, wasn't touched on until the last half hour of the film, and then suddenly it was just there, they didn't really explain how it all began and didn't go into much detail about how Tupac suddenly and ferociously turned on Biggie.

They omitted the fact that Biggie and Puffy were implicated in, and largely blamed for, Tupac's murder, instead showing Biggie greiving for his fallen ex-comrade, and later implied that Biggie was only killed because he was East Coast, with no mention of the fact that it was seen as a revenge killing. Suge Knight was only glimpsed very briefly in the film and you didn't see him stirring up the rivalry, and you didn't see all the stuff about Tupac pretty much calling out and threatening to kill the entire East Coast scene on his records. There wasn't any mention of the fact that Bad Boy and Death Row were business rivals, and crucially they didn't mention the fact that when Biggie came on the scene, rap was firmly centered on the West Coast and he pretty much single handedly shifted the attnetion back to the East Coast. I know it's a lot to cram into a 2 hour film, but it did feel really rushed in places and it could have easily filled 3 hours.

For all it's faults though, it was a truly excellent film, really compelling stuff, the 2 hours fly by. An absolute must see for anyone, whether they are into Biggie's music or the hip-hop scene, or otherwise. Highly recommended.

This video was Tupac's response after he was shot the first time and blamed Biggie and Puffy for setting it up. He's basically threatening to kill Biggie, Puffy, the whole of Bad Boy records, Lil' Kim, Junior Mafia, Mob Deep, Jay-Z ,and saying he fucked Faith Evans! It pretty much escalated the whole thing from arguments into shootings and led to him being killed.

YouTube - Tupac - Hit Em Up(Uncensored)

This video was Tupac's response after he was shot the first time and blamed Biggie and Puffy for setting it up. He's basically threatening to kill Biggie, Puffy, the whole of Bad Boy records, Lil' Kim, Junior Mafia, Mob Deep, Jay-Z ,and saying he fucked Faith Evans! It pretty much escalated the whole thing from arguments into shootings and led to him being killed.

YouTube - Tupac - Hit Em Up(Uncensored)

If you haven't already, you should check out Nick Broomfields doc about Biggie as an accompaniment. Some of the archive footage of his rap battles is incredible. I'm looking forward to seeing Notorious.

Extreme Movie - Extremely Sh1t!

Swing Vote - K.Costner gets to make the deciding vote for the US president..however it was his daughter who tried to vote in the first place...kinda reminds me of a weekday afternoon five movie...but with famouse people in it...nothing special

Hard Candy - not what I was expecting, some twists and seeing the peado thing from the other side made it bit different to other movies similar story lines - worth a watch

Extreme Movie - Extremely Sh1t!

Swing Vote - K.Costner gets to make the deciding vote for the US president..however it was his daughter who tried to vote in the first place...kinda reminds me of a weekday afternoon five movie...but with famouse people in it...nothing special

Hard Candy - not what I was expecting, some twists and seeing the peado thing from the other side made it bit different to other movies similar story lines - worth a watch

I squirmed all the way through that castration scene. Sheesh... *crosses legs*

The twist at the end was a bit rubbish.

Vicky Cristina Barcelona.

Overall very disappointing. I'm a big Woody fan (leave it) but I didn't think much of this at all. Ms Cruz was very good however and deserves her Oscar.

I should probably point out though that I watched it while getting steadily drunker and fell asleep briefly before the end. However I scanned through it the next day and didn't seem to miss much.

Had a nice meal at Frankie & Bennys too!

I once bled out a bit in Frankie and Bennys before being taken to hospital. True irrelevant Nefarious C trivia.

Saw Benjamin Button. Pretty full on at the start, I was almost in tears at the bit about the reversing clock. Held my attention for the full three and a bit hours.