aberdeen-music

Fudge Awards - Best 'Rock' Act 2008 - vote here

The Ghost Of Fudge

The idea of a serious award show to put on Aberdeen on the map is a terrible one. The reason Aberdeen isn't 'on the map' is because there is only 2 bands that actually go out and put the effort in. Frequently recording/writing/releasing new music and consistently playing shows across the UK and further a field.

You can't expect Aberdeen to be considered a musical hotspot when the majority of the bands find themselves playing Aberdeen 5 times a month and not doing much else.

I don't want to be mr negativity ect but its just the reality.

For the record. I'm talking about PVH and Copy Haho.

I think you may want to add My Minds Weapon to that Sam. No matter how much you don't like them, they are playing gigs outside Aberdeen regularly and they put in a lot of effort raising the profile of not only their band but also of Aberdeen's music scene.

I think PVH and Copy Haho are good examples though, so don't thing i'm having a pop.

I think you may want to add My Minds Weapon to that Sam. No matter how much you don't like them, they are playing gigs outside Aberdeen regularly and they put in a lot of effort raising the profile of not only their band but also of Aberdeen's music scene.

I think PVH and Copy Haho are good examples though, so don't thing i'm having a pop.

Ah yes that is true. They just didn't come to mind to be honest. I have nothing against MMW in the slightest. A lot of respect for their efforts, i just forgot.

But I'm not trying to make it into the fuckin WORLD MUSIC AWARDS IN MONACO or where ever the fuck it is!!! Jesssssus. At the end of the day, it will still be the same, but just slightly more relevant to things of today, in a good venue and slightly more organised, with maybe some people of interest being around that can only benifit the people around. Still one big piss up and a fuckin good night out with hopefuly few good bands on, which isnt taken too seriously. but look. i'm stopping here, cause you lot can just sit and right snide comments all fuckin night long and i will only end up wanting to throw this computer out of the window...!

All i will say is, have some fucking outlook on life, ffs!! You never know, you might enjoy it. we aint here for long!

and you... well, you just don't get the real point, huh. With comments like that.

with all due respect I think that maybe you are missing the point...

the boys from fudge have been promoting the aberdeen music scene for years and years and have been musicians (sic) for even longer....their nights are as much of an institution as any band or club aberdeen has had to offer in as many years and have outlasted some of aberdeen's finest... without the boys tireless work, countless bands, for better or for worse, wouldn't even had made it off the starting grid let alone outside aberdeen or onto the radio or whatever and as such the 'scene' and its individuals (past, present and future) owe a great deal of thanks to them... i'v been privvy to good nights and bad but the fudgenights have continued, in their many forms, against all the odds... when others were giving up fudge were carrying on...

its just a bit rude to suggest that what they do might not be good enough and that it could be done better... this IS what they do... and its pretty damn good!!!!

i just think that, given the tone of some of your comments, offering suggestions about how fudge could better an event you've never been to, to people who attend them every year isnt going to meet much enthusiasm...

no one can fault you for your enthusiasm and passion and if you feel strongly about your suggestions why not organise your own night or help promote bands in a way that you feel would be more benificial...

• Upvote 1

In response to those last two posts.

1st of all, i am not meaning to diss anyones efforts or be rude in anyway to the fudge geezers. I'm pretty sure i said that they have been doing a sterling effort over the years in an earlier post. Basically, in my long winded fashion, all i am saying is just maybe a few fresh ideas for it could be an option, if it was supported (Altho of course a select few on here seem its not, but i really do not think it would be the general view)

Which leads me onto my 2nd point, to Mr L4. I'm pretty sure there are a few out there apart from those 3 mentioned who are trying to apply some trade outside Aberdeen in more ways than one(LK's, 10 Easy wishes, Edgar Prais & Even that Colon Openbracket lot : ( lol), no matter what peoples personal opinion might be. So let me say this...(hypothetically of course), if there was a night arranged as i have put forward, which is still the fudge awards, Held in, say Moshulu on Sat 26th of April 2009 for instance. Still the same thing that is going on, but in attendance would be all the related/nominated bands, couple of Music/Rag Journo's and a couple of label people, and due to play on the night was, say Copy Ha Ho, PVH, 10 Easy Wishes and a lesser known lot to "outside world", Level 4 (or even Eric Euan).... You are telling me you wouldn't be up for playing it??! I do not believe that any1 would want to say no to playing... surely?! Well, apart from The Armada himself of course and his hatred for anything remotely mainstream. ;)

The idea of a serious award show to put on Aberdeen on the map is a terrible one. The reason Aberdeen isn't 'on the map' is because there is only 2 bands that actually go out and put the effort in. Frequently recording/writing/releasing new music and consistently playing shows across the UK and further a field.

You can't expect Aberdeen to be considered a musical hotspot when the majority of the bands find themselves playing Aberdeen 5 times a month and not doing much else.

I don't want to be mr negativity ect but its just the reality.

Jesus I thought Jan Deal was bad but you take the biscuit sir! 'Mr Brown-nose elitest snob of the year' award goes to Sam from Level 4. Terrible name and terrible band btw but hey you have got credibility from sucking up to others. Well done sir!

• Upvote 1

Jesus I thought Jan Deal was bad but you take the biscuit sir! 'Mr Brown-nose elitest snob of the year' award goes to Sam from Level 4. Terrible name and terrible band btw but hey you have got credibility from sucking up to others. Well done sir!

I'm sure he's not the only one who could be accused of brown nosing.

I gave you positive reputation by accident :laughing:

Maybe a mod could see their way to getting rid of that to avoid confusion...

So let me say this...(hypothetically of course), if there was a night arranged as i have put forward, which is still the fudge awards, Held in, say Moshulu on Sat 26th of April 2009 for instance. Still the same thing that is going on, but in attendance would be all the related/nominated bands, couple of Music/Rag Journo's and a couple of label people, and due to play on the night was, say Copy Ha Ho, PVH, 10 Easy Wishes and a lesser known lot to "outside world", Level 4 (or even Eric Euan).... You are telling me you wouldn't be up for playing it??! I do not believe that any1 would want to say no to playing... surely?!

this maybe interested me about 4/5 years ago

Would I play a gig like this? Id be running for the hills. Id much rather be playing gigs with/to people who are there to see bands and have a good time, as opposed to people acting like rockstars in front of their fellow scenesters.

too many people forget that there is a whole world out there and that if they really want to "make it/industry/bollocks/zzzzzz" they need to ditch the small town mentality/comfort and devote much time and effort to making things happen elsewhere

1st of all, i am not meaning to diss anyones efforts or be rude in anyway to the fudge geezers. I'm pretty sure i said that they have been doing a sterling effort over the years in an earlier post. Basically, in my long winded fashion, all i am saying is just maybe a few fresh ideas for it could be an option, if it was supported (Altho of course a select few on here seem its not, but i really do not think it would be the general view)

Which leads me onto my 2nd point, to Mr L4. I'm pretty sure there are a few out there apart from those 3 mentioned who are trying to apply some trade outside Aberdeen in more ways than one(LK's, 10 Easy wishes, Edgar Prais & Even that Colon Openbracket lot : ( lol), no matter what peoples personal opinion might be. So let me say this...(hypothetically of course), if there was a night arranged as i have put forward, which is still the fudge awards, Held in, say Moshulu on Sat 26th of April 2009 for instance. Still the same thing that is going on, but in attendance would be all the related/nominated bands, couple of Music/Rag Journo's and a couple of label people, and due to play on the night was, say Copy Ha Ho, PVH, 10 Easy Wishes and a lesser known lot to "outside world", Level 4 (or even Eric Euan).... You are telling me you wouldn't be up for playing it??! I do not believe that any1 would want to say no to playing... surely?! Well, apart from The Armada himself of course and his hatred for anything remotely mainstream. ;)

the fudge awards have been held in moshulu before... a couple of times i think, as well as numerous times in the lemon tree and now the tunnels... the bands have always been of a high calibre or relevant to the scene...

turn outs usually consist of bands, promoters, venue staff and fans of the 'scene' and relevant artists... its a good way of introducing yourself and a chance to build a community amongst the bands that are gigging at that time...

but lets say it was invite only... who decides who is invited?... what about the bands who dont post on here, who tells them?... lets say that 50% of the bands nominated dont turn up (more likely 75% ) who fills the empty spaces? ...creating an 'invite only' affair would probably isolate rather than encourage young or new bands not to mention bands who are already established who may not get an invite due to them not 'being relevant'...

and lets not forget, the purpose of the fudge awards, like any fudgenight is to generate money to (presumably) continue putting on shows and events... if no-one pays at the door, who pays the promoters?...

the ideas you have put forward are great but in one way or another have been done and re-hashed in the past... and at the end of the day this is the fudge awards... you wouldnt call up a bar you havnt been to and say "i think your bar would be better if you put in a jukebox" or call up a band you've never seen and say "your act would be better if your songs were longer"... i just think you should see it for yourself before you pass judgements...

and the danger of changing the one 'big' ongoing night that is already established amongst the scene is that its left damaged and people loose interest... thats why I think there is always room for other events... just leave our fudge alone!!! (i am saying that in mock protest, i'm not for one second suggesting your comments werent welcome)

also as a side note eric euan have played the fudge awards before (as well as countless fudgenights going back as long as the nights themselves) and are certainly not strangers to the outside world... (incedentaly we're on tour again this summer, taking in the lovely south of england)... 'live at the moorings' album out later this year (also on the jukebox at the moorings) as well as a re-issue of the first three e.ps (available on cd and download) and a new album also for later in the year... but enough self promotion...:up:

the fudge awards have been held in moshulu before... a couple of times i think, as well as numerous times in the lemon tree and now the tunnels... the bands have always been of a high calibre or relevant to the scene...

turn outs usually consist of bands, promoters, venue staff and fans of the 'scene' and relevant artists... its a good way of introducing yourself and a chance to build a community amongst the bands that are gigging at that time...

but lets say it was invite only... who decides who is invited?... what about the bands who dont post on here, who tells them?... lets say that 50% of the bands nominated dont turn up (more likely 75% ) who fills the empty spaces? ...creating an 'invite only' affair would probably isolate rather than encourage young or new bands not to mention bands who are already established who may not get an invite due to them not 'being relevant'...

and lets not forget, the purpose of the fudge awards, like any fudgenight is to generate money to (presumably) continue putting on shows and events... if no-one pays at the door, who pays the promoters?...

the ideas you have put forward are great but in one way or another have been done and re-hashed in the past... and at the end of the day this is the fudge awards... you wouldnt call up a bar you havnt been to and say "i think your bar would be better if you put in a jukebox" or call up a band you've never seen and say "your act would be better if your songs were longer"... i just think you should see it for yourself before you pass judgements...

and the danger of changing the one 'big' ongoing night that is already established amongst the scene is that its left damaged and people loose interest... thats why I think there is always room for other events... just leave our fudge alone!!! (i am saying that in mock protest, i'm not for one second suggesting your comments werent welcome)

Great - a decent response and all valid points. As i said in the first post bout this, for the ones who do not post on here, all bands are searchable on myspace and we have the great event invitation thing that you can RSVP too. I know i can think of at least 10 bands Minimum off the top of my head (young and old - and a few oh which i kinda know personally) that do not do not post/come on here regularly, for probably various reasons. But thats what i am saying with regards to making it an incentive for people to turn up and get their support etc.

Anyway, i'm exhausting this now, i feel. Maybe its cause its nearly lunctime and im fucking starvin' at work, but i'll leave it there for now. I AM going to do some digging and see is there is anything that i can come up with. If anyone IS reading this (even you non-posters), and would like to put in a few words of wisdom, support or anything then please feel free to send me a PM or sumamt. Obviously i would want to speak the fudgers first ultimately, and hear their thoughts as its what everyone knows and loves still and i wouldnt want to change it from "the fudge awards". but if they thought it wasn't a good idea then fair enough i suppose...

All the best for now.

LY.

starfall headlining the RGU union was and will always be the best thread ever

threads of this kind will most likely never be seen again, at least not until Dave Bradley's classroom of impressionable school kids come of age. Yes thats right he's a teacher now, apparently

Back on the point of the thread I voted eric euan, if I had 2 votes I would have voted for DLS as well, as also fine purveyors of the rock in Aberdeen. I have to sway in favour of eric euan as they are my all time favourite Aberdeen band and continue to write some of the best music in Scotland!

I agree 100% with Fort Max, Fudge have been doing an excellent job over the many years they have been going. I have dabled at promoting myself in the past and it is not as easy as it may seem to do a good job. Every fudge show is well promoted, have a good faithful following and bring a diverse line up of bands.

I am proud to say that my new band Hidden Leaves will be playing the Fudge Awards on 18th of April at the Tunnels and cannot wait to play for Fudge again! We have a few out of town shows to play before then and we intend to put on a hell of a show for the Awards!

I am proud to say that my new band Hidden Leaves will be playing the Fudge Awards on 18th of April at the Tunnels and cannot wait to play for Fudge again! We have a few out of town shows to play before then and we intend to put on a hell of a show for the Awards!

I'm looking forward to seeing you lot; will you be headlining, playing last??

Guest Jake Wifebeater

12 pages of insufferable pish. 2 valuable lessons learned:

1. Don't throw a pissy fit when someones slags your probably-shit band. It makes you look a bit of a plunt.

2. Tell whoever's sucking you off at the moment not to throw a pissy fit when someone slags your probably-shit band. It makes you look a bit of a plunt and her look a stupid, star-fucked bastard bitch.

:up:

1. Don't throw a pissy fit when someones slags your probably-shit band. It makes you look a bit of a plunt.

2. Tell whoever's sucking you off at the moment not to throw a pissy fit when someone slags your probably-shit band. It makes you look a bit of a plunt and her look a stupid, star-fucked bastard bitch.

All in favour....

Thank you for your wisdom on this thread, Socrates.

There is no point in saying whether i would play this event. In reality, the chances of you getting CH and PVH to play an all local "serious awards ceremony' are highly unlikely.

As for The Little Kicks, Edgar Prais and 10 Easy Wishes. All bands i like and have seen many times. They all apply their trade pretty well in Scotland but don't really go past that apart from the odd London show. I think The Little Kicks did 3 dates in London about a year ago? And Edgar Prais have been down there doing about 3 shows over the last 6 months or so.

You know what, i was in the bookies on saturday putting my weekly football coupon on and after being on this thread for the past god knows how long, i noticed a horse called Spanish Armada. I never bet on Horses, but i thought, "fuck it, i've heard of these 'omen' things. Might give it a bash," So i put a tenner on at 5-1.....

.....and guess what......

The fucking thing came in LAST. Fucking Mule. That will teach me