aberdeen-music

Fudge Awards - Best 'Rock' Act 2008 - vote here

The Ghost Of Fudge

Our category didn't receive a gnome - we received a collinder (sic). With a plastic pink rose entwined within.

I proceeded to put said item on my head whilst Tunnels Jenni took quite an incriminating photograph.

Thankfully that photograph is now nowhere to be seen.

A Collander, excellent. I don't know if it is better than a gnome, but it is certainly more practical.

Folk shouldn't be put off going to the Fudge Awards, it will be an ace night and no doubt there will be some highlarious speeches...

That raises a good point...

It's not in chez Phil, Rob, and Jim. I know that much. Unless he's up in the loft. I hope someone doesn't bump into him in the dark. They'll get a fucking fright!

did it not get left in mount street? i seem to remember that happening but i could be wrong. perhaps he's doomed to forever walk the land alone. someone should write a prog epic based on the further adventures of barnold.

did it not get left in mount street? i seem to remember that happening but i could be wrong. perhaps he's doomed to forever walk the land alone. someone should write a prog epic based on the further adventures of barnold.

I just got a mental image of Barnald as David Carradine's character in Kung Fu.

So what is the actual script with this awards thing. As we are newcomers (which would of been the best category for us i would of thought this time), i do not know about the format. My sister told me that everyone actually made a night of it and had a laugh and that drakes also used to win best venue.

it's like the NME or Kerrrang awards, but obviously a *LOT* shitter.

we make a glittering awards podium out of carboard boxes and tinfoil every year, and hire tuxedos and kilts. you get the picture.

threads from previous awards (should give you a fair idea...):

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/fudgenet/41951-official-fudge-awards-2007-thread.html

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/fudgenet/22254-jamesy-speech-thread.html

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/fudgenet/33210-fma-2006-photos.html

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/fudgenet/33199-official-fudge-music-awards-thread-party-year.html

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/fudgenet/9129-your-memories-fudge-awards-2004-required.html

:D:gringo:

Nice - well i just read through last years whole thread, and i can see "most punchable" was still a bit bitter towards it from his post. But apart from that it seems like last years could of gone a bit better than previous years. I do think that the whole concept is a really good idea and Kudos to you guys who organise it. I think there were a few valid reasons in there for it not being as buoyant as it should. Main one being that there are quite a few bands out there that are coming through (and their followers/friends) that come with it, and it seems it is still relying on the same people from years (and years in some cases) gone by. As i said, i really like the concept and i think if it was a bit more kinda approachable and more well known then i think it could work. I'm just saying this as someone who has only technically been in a band about a year, but i've been about still for a bit and i just thought it was more of a band thing and i didnt really know that it was a ticket bought event and pretty much for anyone to come along although i did know it existed as an event. But i really think you should scrapt that. Why? Cause I also think, why do you charge for tickets? As Idol_wild said eariler on this thread if you do not get people to pay for it then no-one would turn up!? surely its an incentive to have an event like this and be for free, no?! Cause, If someone was up for making a night to benifit the local music industry in general (other to make a few sheckles) then i'm sure that one of the venues would let you have a place for free (as i know that some venues actually fork out a little bit for expenses to put on a successful night and get punters in etc) as i'm sure a full, Moshulu or somewhere like that would easily make more than enough money to cover engineer etc on drink alone if it was to get a full house. So, i would go as far to making it an invite only night cause every1 is E-contactable these days and you have myspace invitations etc that you can RSVP too. (bands and friends/family etc)

You could also make more incentives so artists/bands actually want to make sure that they clear a date in their diary for this, as opposed to people claiming to no show (too cool for school/we're better than this local shite kinda thing) Invite a local/national music rag/mag journo along to actually review the night and even some1 in the record industry (that is outside aberdeen, to gain a bit more exposure for all). Get someone like Andy Learmouth at original106. He is all bout local exposure. He would prob be a great person to even host it as i know that he does a bit of comedy on the side (altho i have never heard him, i must admit lol) but you know just shit like that.

I mean i'm not exactly talking pure white table clothes on tables and free champagne and vino laid on with waiters etc, but if it was made a bit more like that, keeping the basic format with gettin local bands who actually deserve to play on the night, (but maybe taking away maybe a few of the really offendable awards that will make folk get petty lol), i think it could work with not that much extra effort an a lil bit of PR......Maybe not for this year now, but def for next.

Just my humble opinion/idea. I'd easily talk to any of the fudge people about it, anytime.

Bring back the superiority and the Limos lol ;)

Yeah but...

Nice - well i just read through last years whole thread, and i can see "most punchable" was still a bit bitter towards it from his post. But apart from that it seems like last years could of gone a bit better than previous years. I do think that the whole concept is a really good idea and Kudos to you guys who organise it. I think there were a few valid reasons in there for it not being as buoyant as it should. Main one being that there are quite a few bands out there that are coming through (and their followers/friends) that come with it, and it seems it is still relying on the same people from years (and years in some cases) gone by. As i said, i really like the concept and i think if it was a bit more kinda approachable and more well known then i think it could work. I'm just saying this as someone who has only technically been in a band about a year, but i've been about still for a bit and i just thought it was more of a band thing and i didnt really know that it was a ticket bought event and pretty much for anyone to come along although i did know it existed as an event. But i really think you should scrapt that. Why? Cause I also think, why do you charge for tickets? As Idol_wild said eariler on this thread if you do not get people to pay for it then no-one would turn up!? surely its an incentive to have an event like this and be for free, no?! Cause, If someone was up for making a night to benifit the local music industry in general (other to make a few sheckles) then i'm sure that one of the venues would let you have a place for free (as i know that some venues actually fork out a little bit for expenses to put on a successful night and get punters in etc) as i'm sure a full, Moshulu or somewhere like that would easily make more than enough money to cover engineer etc on drink alone if it was to get a full house. So, i would go as far to making it an invite only night cause every1 is E-contactable these days and you have myspace invitations etc that you can RSVP too. (bands and friends/family etc)

You could also make more incentives so artists/bands actually want to make sure that they clear a date in their diary for this, as opposed to people claiming to no show (too cool for school/we're better than this local shite kinda thing) Invite a local/national music rag/mag journo along to actually review the night and even some1 in the record industry (that is outside aberdeen, to gain a bit more exposure for all). Get someone like Andy Learmouth at original106. He is all bout local exposure. He would prob be a great person to even host it as i know that he does a bit of comedy on the side (altho i have never heard him, i must admit lol) but you know just shit like that.

I mean i'm not exactly talking pure white table clothes on tables and free champagne and vino laid on with waiters etc, but if it was made a bit more like that, keeping the basic format with gettin local bands who actually deserve to play on the night, (but maybe taking away maybe a few of the really offendable awards that will make folk get petty lol), i think it could work with not that much extra effort an a lil bit of PR......Maybe not for this year now, but def for next.

Just my humble opinion/idea. I'd easily talk to any of the fudge people about it, anytime.

Bring back the superiority and the Limos lol ;)

Maybe people should do this, maybe they should do that but you know what...they're not. At least the guys at Fudge are doing something. In a town that more and more over the years has become very "every man/person for themselves", I for one have a great deal of love for everything that Brian and crew do. It might be a little but if more people did a little it would add up to a lot.

Its a glorified party, surely its fine the way it is, if people dont show cue hilarity of random speeches by bobby.

Surely theres something wrong if a band puts fudge award winner in their band bio!

and it still would be, cause thats all even the big award ceremonys are. One big piss up. But that's what i mean... if you did that and took the whole thing a Liiiiiiiiitle bit more seriously and do a bit more like i have said with a bit more exposure etc, then people might actually take the local music a bit more seriously, which for those some actual good bands/artists actually out there, could only benifit....!?

The more i think about this, the more i think it could work. Really do. Surely there must be a good few people that would be up for getting behind the whole idea...?

Maybe people should do this, maybe they should do that but you know what...they're not. At least the guys at Fudge are doing something. In a town that more and more over the years has become very "every man/person for themselves", I for one have a great deal of love for everything that Brian and crew do. It might be a little but if more people did a little it would add up to a lot.

Yea, i completely understand, so that is why i am saying that i would easily get on this NOW. i would easily hook up with those guys. I think the main reason for it going down each year is relying same people as the years go on thing, and people jsut generally growing up and not bothering anymore. So if you add a bit of fresh head(s) in there, you def could rezzurect (sp?) it back to what it was (from the stories i heard). But you would have decent backing and incentives like i put in the previous post.

Anyway i could really go on to list the people you could organise with regards to Radio/paper/possible help from council for funding, but i wont just now. But i would maybe try put up a thread and msg all local bands about the whole concept and just basiclly putting the whole idea/concept and "could we guarentee your support attendance/support" kinda thing.

As i said too, it might not even be close to feasable, but fudge, if your reading this... I'm up for discussing it.:up:

and it still would be, cause thats all even the big award ceremonys are. One big piss up. But that's what i mean... if you did that and took the whole thing a Liiiiiiiiitle bit more seriously and do a bit more like i have said with a bit more exposure etc, then people might actually take the local music a bit more seriously, which for those some actual good bands/artists actually out there, could only benifit....!?

The more i think about this, the more i think it could work. Really do. Surely there must be a good few people that would be up for getting behind the whole idea...?

You know, I think the Sex Pistols could have done sooo much better if they had only dressed a bit smarter, sworn less, and maybe taken a few lessons so they could play their instruments a little more proficiently...

The idea of Aberdeen's music being represented to the outside world by a tarty 'big boys' awards ceremony has me crying into my Cheerios.

The idea of Aberdeen's music being represented to the outside world by a tarty 'big boys' awards ceremony has me crying into my Cheerios.

Sorry for caring about trying to do summat about my fucking city....

I remember you from before actually, from another post i made. You are such a fucking miserable cynical twat. One of the reasons i stopped coming on here....! So if you aint got anything proper to say apart from some fuckin snide comment, then just shut the fuck up. really. Although, because of people like you, it does make me want to make it work a million times more and it to be a success.

Sorry for caring about trying to do summat about my fucking city....

I remember you from before actually, from another post i made. You are such a fucking miserable cynical twat. One of the reasons i stopped coming on here....! So if you aint got anything proper to say apart from some fuckin snide comment, then just shut the fuck up. really. Although, because of people like you, it does make me want to make it work a million times more and it to be a success.

I am making an extremely serious point! An attempted 'proper awards ceremony' would be nothing more than a glad-handing, back-slapping gimmick, serving no purpose than to make your precious city's musicians look like a shower of self gratified losers, falling back on a publicity stunt to hide their rubbish music.

Truth be told the bands worth anything will not care about winning "real" awards.

But I'm not trying to make it into the fuckin WORLD MUSIC AWARDS IN MONACO or where ever the fuck it is!!! Jesssssus. At the end of the day, it will still be the same, but just slightly more relevant to things of today, in a good venue and slightly more organised, with maybe some people of interest being around that can only benifit the people around. Still one big piss up and a fuckin good night out with hopefuly few good bands on, which isnt taken too seriously. but look. i'm stopping here, cause you lot can just sit and right snide comments all fuckin night long and i will only end up wanting to throw this computer out of the window...!

All i will say is, have some fucking outlook on life, ffs!! You never know, you might enjoy it. we aint here for long!

I am making an extremely serious point! An attempted 'proper awards ceremony' would be nothing more than a glad-handing, back-slapping gimmick, serving no purpose than to make your precious city's musicians look like a shower of self gratified losers, falling back on a publicity stunt to hide their rubbish music.

OMFG! Right thats it. Are you Kidding me...?!! after that I'm DEFINATELY off... Jeeesus. You REALLY need to get out more. :down:

It's nothing of the sort. Read my previous post. GoodNIGHT.

Wowie zowie, you really turned that around for me there! Ok, I've got half a squirt of lube at the ready... WHERES DAVID GEFFEN AT?

You see there you go again. Instead of replying to the relevant part of my other post that i told you to look at, you reply a pointless shitty snide comment bout summat else.typical.

But the thing that winds me up the most, is MYSELF, cause i can't help but log back in to reply to your dross.:swearing:!!! but im def off now. Wayyyyyyyy past my bedtime.