aberdeen-music

The Official "Best gig I've been to" Thread 2007

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hooray! You should try and get somethign set up for Belfast. I'll put y'all up for the evening.

We are Knives are an amazing band, as are LaFaro (I did an open mic night with Johnny Black fairly recently. What a guy!)

YAS, johnny is a legend! we are knives and also anna were actually looking into getting something sorted for us but there were too many gigs on (which is tonight incedentally!) with ska punx, punx (jello biafra), and others etc

MySpace.com - Adebisi Shank - IE - Experimental - www.myspace.com/adebisishank

you know it makes sense! :D

at musa watching alan and thomas truax while sitting beside my heavily pregnant wife, on the stairs, because the place was packed to the GUNNELS. i thought i was at the peak of enjoying it, and then he produced the stringaling!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was one of my favourite gigs too...of 2006!

at musa watching alan and thomas truax while sitting beside my heavily pregnant wife, on the stairs, because the place was packed to the GUNNELS. i thought i was at the peak of enjoying it, and then he produced the stringaling!!!!!!!!!!!!
That was one of my favourite gigs too...of 2006!

LOL!!!!

David's more than a month old I hope? Or did you sell his brother/sister to the gypsies?

I can see you doing that!

ISIS / The Oxbow Acoustic Duo at Oran Mhor in Glasgow. Don't care what other folk say about it, it's the only time I've seen ISIS so I've nothing to compare it too.

Meet Me In St. Louis / Archives at Drummonds.

Had to leave before the end of the Twilight Sad at the Tunnels because of a last bus/coursework related debacle. It's still right up there though - "Cold Days From The Birdhouse" alone made it one of my favourites of this year.

Poor effort from me on the gig-going front this year.

Converge - Glasgow Barfly

ISIS - Oran Mor

The Hope Conspiracy - Tunnels

Jonah Matranga - Tunnels 2 (the first time he was up)

Notable mentions:

Hot Cross

The Blood Brothers

any Archives show

Meet Me In St. Louis

Devil Sold His Soul

Misery Signals/Textures

Alexisonfire

Hopefully some more to come. :)

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Dont think I'm going to any more gigs this year so here goes:

Blood Brothers @ Tunnels - shit crowd, less than incredible atmosphere but it was The Blood Brothers, and now they're gone, so I'm glad I got to see them in a tiny venue doing their thing.

All Tomorrow's Parties - Specifically Edan. Mindblowingly ace. Was great to catch Daniel Johnstone, Go Team, Thermals, Modest Mouse, Patti Smith and loads of others too, and of course the whole atmosphere and feeling of adventure that comes with travelling 22 hours in a bus to the opposite end of the country and going on a 3 day binge in a Butlins camp.

The Shins @ Barrowlands - amazing fun, well priced (this was just as Phantom Limb was filtering through into Superdrug FM etc so no cunts in the crowd) and to top it all off, as we walked home to my mate's house after a few post-gig bevvies, who did we bump into but the Shins in their tour bus. Cue about an hour and a half of bullshitting with them and their crew, drinking their beers and eventually walking away with a bottle of tequila from their rider...amazing!

Animal Collective/Panda Bear @ Oran Mor - Avey Tare was ill with a chest infection so he couldn't play. Instead, Panda bear played his own material for about 45 mins which I felt incredibly lucky to see. Then he was joined by another animal and together they played all the songs from Strawberry Jam that he sings. I don't know if their usual live show is so heavily based on samplers/effects but that's pretty much all that they were using, which made for a very atmospheric, ambient yet powerful sound that kept making me think of Suicide's early stuff, which is a comparison that hadn't really sprung to mind before. Better yet, I think they're back in early 2008 so I'll hopefully get to see a more 'conventional' set from the whole group then :)

Rilo Kiley at the Classic Grand in Glasgow was fucking brilliant. Best seats in the house, unintended table service, and absolutely fucking cracking sound was topped off by Jenny Lewis singing note-perfect. Highlights for me were 'Arms Outstretched' with the crowd sing-a-long and 'Ripchord'. Stunning.

The Twilight Sad at The Tunnels, and then later when they came back to play the Lemon Tree I missed them but saw Frightened Rabbit who were ace!

And Jonah the first time he was up at Tunnels 2. Again, best seats in the house. Stunning performance.

Finally...Bjork at Connect. More of an experience I thought, but musically it was spot on.