aberdeen-music

Ghosts / Paranormal thread

Guest idol_wild

Guest idol_wild
I have seen a ghost, and it scared the shit out of me. I would go into more detail, but I don't want to look like too much of a mental on the internet. If you want more info, buy me a pint and I'll tell you all about it. :)

Consider it done, Jan. I'll get you a pint over the weekend if I see you at a gig. I want the full details.

Guest idol_wild

For those interested in the supernatural, I highly recommend these two books which were recommended to me/bought for me by one of my flatmates:

Amazon.com: Will Storr vs. The Supernatural: One Man's Search for the Truth About Ghosts: Will Storr: Books

Amazon.com: Haunted: The Incredible True Story of a Canadian Family's Experience Living in a Haunted House: Dorah L. Williams: Books

The Will Storr book may be especially worthwhile if you're a sceptic.

Guest idol_wild
Those books are both from .com. I'm curious, what do you get charged for shipping? The cover of the Will Storr book looks incredible!

You'd probably get the from .co.uk too. I just did a quick google search for the titles and they came up.

I suffer from a sleep disorder called sleep paralysis. This is common among those with narcolepsy but most people experience it at some point in their lives. It means I wake frequently (several times a week) and am unable to move - usually hallucinating at the same time. I can easily see that this would be considered a paranormal experience by many. For me it explains every ghostly sighting that takes place while someone is close to sleep or has just woken up.

Sleep paralysis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Upvote 1

i can undertsnad this explanation quite well, i have severe sleeping problems, and i get alot of this, its kinda like sleep walking or sleep talking. your head is like a bad ex girlfriend, if it can fuck with you it will.

one time while staying at a mates fklat, i sat bolt upright i nthe middle of the night, stared at the window and said "why is the window open, the smoke will get out and annoy all the old ladies" no recolection! but it happened apparently = / now that is just my head trying to make me look bad!

My girlfriend does shit like that all the time, she'll suddenly just sit up, gasp and say something stupid like "I can't remember the lyrics!" then just go back to sleep. It can be quite spooky sometimes!

My girlfriend does shit like that all the time, she'll suddenly just sit up, gasp and say something stupid like "I can't remember the lyrics!" then just go back to sleep. It can be quite spooky sometimes!

My ex use to do similar stuff like that too.

She would shake me and then mumble something. I would say "what" and she would mumble again.

This would go on for about 5 minutes then she would scream "Oh for fucks sake!" then turn over in a huff.

Leaving me in a state of sleepy confusion.

Then she gets up in the morning and was pissed off with me but she wasn't sure why.

The only thing i do is that i sometimes sleep with my eyes wide open.....but thats got nothing to do with ghosts.

i remember my mum telling me about a few weird things that happened after my nana died a few years back.

She was driving in her car, sitting in some traffic i believe, and she had just driven past the graveyard where my nana is buried and she smelled the flowers that were in her hospital room the day that she died. Like a very strong smell of them from the back seat of the car.

Another story, similiar to Lucky Rathen's, we used to have this photo of my nana and me that would sit in the living room. And every now and then, for some obscure reason, and its seems totally impossible, it would fall completely on its face, even though it was leaning back the way. This went on and on for months until one day it happened again and the glass inside the frame cracked. never happened again after that.

i remember my mum telling me about a few weird things that happened after my nana died a few years back.

She was driving in her car, sitting in some traffic i believe, and she had just driven past the graveyard where my nana is buried and she smelled the flowers that were in her hospital room the day that she died. Like a very strong smell of them from the back seat of the car.

Another story, similiar to Lucky Rathen's, we used to have this photo of my nana and me that would sit in the living room. And every now and then, for some obscure reason, and its seems totally impossible, it would fall completely on its face, even though it was leaning back the way. This went on and on for months until one day it happened again and the glass inside the frame cracked. never happened again after that.

this actually throws up an interesting point...

Synesthesia is an interesting phenomenon, where senses "short circuit" - vision can be translated as smell, sound as colour etc.

A strong emotion can possibly create that interlinking of senses, so, vision of Nan's cemetery "short-circuits" to "smell of flowers in hospital"...

It's also an interesting thought - was it the smell of flowers, or a remembered smell of flowers? ("no difference" to your mum, obviously, but "in reality" - would anyone else have smelled the flowers, if they were in the car? - much like someone hearing a sound, and no one else present does.)

as for the frame moving, well that's obviously a ghost with the ability to move solid objects. (Until it realises that it's gone too far, and broken something)...like a poltergeist with a conscience.....honest.

I have a friend who sat bolt upright in a living room full of sleeping-bagged pals, and shout "you are all fucking statues" - waking everyone and scaring the shit out of them, while he lay back down - oblivious to the ruckus he'd just caused. I've woke up laughing and not knowing why...I don't know if that's a good thing...or a bad thing.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Every pub and hotel I've ever worked in has a ghost story. I think it's universal.

But here you go

For example the Moorings Bar, Trinity Quay, Aberdeen is a haunted bar with quite an atmosphere. A spirit there is said to turn off taps in the taproom of the cellar. Objects have moved in the bar after closing time. This includes, mops, chairs and a knife. Staff have reported to the author of The Haunted North, Graeme Milne, of doors being pushed against though no-one is there and being shoved at the toilets. Barstaff have reported that they felt watched by an unseen spirit. This ghost in the Haunted North is thought to be Ted who was a former Canadian Airman who worked at the Moorings Bar. His ghost has been seen in the cellar as if still working with kegs of beer.

Graeme Milne also thinks there may be another ghost at the Moorings Bar which is responsible for the more sinister occurrences. Its activities started after a 1970s price list was removed from a wall in the cellar. The owner of The Moorings Bar, Craig Adams, set up some electronic voice phenomena (EVP) recording equipment. After listening to hours of white noise he heard a voice say "Put the price list back". This was also heard by a barman called Frank who also reported seeing the sudden appearance of smoke or steam that quickly disappears. Later recordings in the bar recorded the words "Get out".

Another spooky event in the Moorings Bar told in The haunted North is that of a regular who went missing. One day her photo appeared to flutter down from the ceiling after closing time in front of the publican. He reported this to Graeme Milne who investigated and found that she had died in hospital. Neither men could explain where the photograph had come from.

From Scottish Ghosts Ghost Stories Haunted Castles Places of Aberdeen Aberdeenshire Scotland

Ma Camerons is meant to be haunted as well, according to that page.

Another Aberdeen pub ghost is at the former coaching inn Ma Cameron's Inn which was formerly called the Sow Croft Inn. Ma Cameron was Amelia, wife to owner John Cameron. Ma Cameron's is now located in what is today Belmont Street. The Ma Cameron's pub ghost manifests itself as strange noises most recently heard by a decorator working in the late hours of the night who heard tapping noises and replied with his paint brush and had the exact number of knocks tapped back.

A dark figure has been sighted moving between the snug and toilets of Ma Cameron's. This would originally have been the stables and wholesale store. Staff have reported that the Ma Cameron's pub ghost switches on and off lights and whilst in the tap room there is the feeling of being watched with the presence of someone directly behind.

Beer taps in the bar have been seen by a customer to turn itself on as if a drink was poured.