aberdeen-music

Ghosts / Paranormal thread

Guest idol_wild

Where was this trail, out of interest?

Mmmh, I dont actually know.

I only relate the places with ghost-tales my friend told me.

1) Stone circles were ashes of people were buried.

2) A stretch of farm-land where medical students from Aberdeen University used to dump the bodies they dug up from "fresh" graves after they dissected them in the name of education a few hundred years ago. Now THIS is a scandal...always thought medical students werent the wisest of eggs.

Do any of these stories seem familiar?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
Guest idol_wild

Have you ever seen a ghost?

There hasn't been a thread about this in ages.

So have you ever seen a ghost or witnessed anything spooky? Almost everyone has a ghost story/experience...I want to hear them.

I've seen some weird shit that at the time I couldn't explain, however I put a lot of it down to an overactive imagination and being a bit of a 'dramatic' teenager.

One of the houses I grew up in in the Broch had a lot of weird goings on, but I attribute much of this now to imagination, and fear. Two of my friends lived in the same street and saw similar things happen in their houses. I'll list them all later, 90% of them you could probably explain but there are a couple of strange ones.

Also one of my friends lived in this big house in the country (Memsie), and EVERYBODY saw weird shit going on in there, including her mum, sister, brother, and all their mates, stuff like lamps switching themselves on and off, weird voices in empty rooms, the piano keys being slammed when no-one was near the piano, faces appearing in windows / mirrors etc. I didn't see anything that concrete, but I saw a couple of odd things there, and the whole house had a general feal of uneasiness about it, you always felt like there was someone standing behind you etc. Her mum has a website about it: Here's a snippet.

This page is all about strange things which have happened here in this house since I've lived here.

Hands up all you sceptics out there ! I was once a sceptic too, but so many things have happened here, most of which just can't be explained by logic.

I moved out here in 1989 and couldn't imagine living anywhere else. I adore it here, despite the spooky goings-on. Things were fine when me and the children first moved here, but a few months later, we had one of the paddocks ploughed. We found various pieces of pottery etc, which had, presumably, belonged to the previous owners of the old farmhouse which used to stand here, before our house was built. I don't know if this has any bearing on the odd occurences, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Here are some of the things which have happened over the years.............

----------

The most common thing is hearing someone walking about upstairs. It's not like the house creaking, it is definitely a series of footsteps.

----------

One that really made me jump was, late one evening, I was carrying some towels upstairs and as I passed a window, there was a loud rapping on the glass. Now, this window is about 12 feet above ground level and you'd need a ladder to reach it ! We checked, and there was no-one outside.

Here's a picture showing the window from the outside. That's my son Craig below it and he is 6ft 5ins tall, so you can see how far above the ground it is.

http://bobbienine.tripod.com/Pictures/SpookyWindow.jpg

----------

The piano has been heard to play (not very melodically) a few times by various people and the television and video used to stop and start of their own accord.

----------

Objects have appeared in my bedroom while I've actually been sitting there! I was reading a book one day beside the bed. There had been nothing on the bedcover, but when I looked up, there was a feather lying there. Here's a picture of the feather, with a normal-sized paperclip beside for size comparison.

http://bobbienine.tripod.com/Pictures/SpookyFeather.jpg

Also in my bedroom, I was reading (again!) and I heard something hitting the floor right beside my feet. I looked, and to my astonishment, I found the piece of metal which you can see in these pictures. I have absolutely no idea where these objects may have come from and can find no explanation for their appearance.

http://bobbienine.tripod.com/Pictures/SpookyMetal1.jpg

http://bobbienine.tripod.com/Pictures/SpookyMetal2.jpg

----------

My son-in-law Simon, was once standing at the kitchen door one evening, at an angle to the microwave oven across the room and when he happened to take a glance at it, he could see a face reflected there, although there was no-one actually in the room. That really freaked him out.

----------

One of the events which had the most witnesses, happened in our lounge. My son Craig was in a band at the time and they regularly used our lounge for their rehearsals. One evening there must have been about 10-12 people there (including me). In the corner of the room, on the mantelpiece, was a lamp which I had inherited from my mother-in-law. We all noticed that it was flickering on and off. We watched it for a few seconds and then I went over to check the bulb ...... and discovered that it wasn't even plugged in to the socket ! How can that be ?

----------

A window, which had been stuck fast (closed) ever since I moved here, was wide open one day when I came home.

----------

Things have been actually seen by my daughter Kerry, jumping off a window ledge from BEHIND other objects. She has also seen a little girl standing at the foot of her bed. Most recently, she saw, and heard, someone pass the kitchen door, even though everyone who was in the house was sitting at the table with her.

----------

A drinking glass, standing on the worktop in the kitchen, was found to have cracks in it which look like the letter "B". My daughter Jodie came downstairs one morning and found it. There are no other cracks in it and it was still upright, as it had been the previous evening. On a lighter note, Jodie still thinks it looks like a penguin, which I suppose, it does !! Here's a picture of it. What do you think ?

http://bobbienine.tripod.com/Pictures/SpookyGlass.jpg

----------

Jodie has heard someone calling for her quite a few times. It scared her when she was younger, but it fascinates her now.

----------

Simon heard footsteps one day while he was out here alone, checking the house whilst Tim and I were away on honeymoon. He thought nothing of it because he'd heard them so many times before. But when he was about to open the front door to leave, he heard a voice right behind him saying, "It's me". He was really scared and ran out without looking back. I don't blame him.

----------

The thing that scared ME the most though, happened while Jodie and I were decorating my bedroom, just before Tim moved up. We were washing brushes in the bath when someone actually PUSHED me. I felt physical contact on my back. It wasn't Jodie, who was using both hands at the time and anyway, she was standing too far away. I don't know who it was, or why it happened, but it did scare me.

----------

Since Tim moved here, the events have become much less common. Tim says he sometimes hears someone walking by my side of the bed while I'm asleep though. For the last couple of weeks, the light in the room where I have my computer, keeps turning off after I've left. I'll go downstairs to make a coffee or something KNOWING that I left the light on, and when I come back up, it's off.

It's strange, but even with all this stuff going on, I still love it here and wouldn't dream of moving.

The weirdest things that happened to me in that house were once we were having a jam in the same lounge as the lamp incident. We stopped for 10 minutes to have a cup of tea or something, and when we came back the guitars had all been horribly detuned and some of the amps unplugged, though there was no-one else in the house.

Later the same day we were sitting watching TV when he heard a strange noise coming from the big fireplace, like the noise of something falling over. When we went over to see what it was, there was a family photograph, which had previously been upright and sitting on display, and it was now lying face down. OK it might have just fallen over, however the really strange thing is there was a pair of nutcrackers which had been sitting next to the photo, and they were now lying on top of it.... impossible.

We did a seance in that house once. Never again :down:

Fucking ace post, Rathen.

Shit like that fascinates me.

Aye, that was my mate's scary house. Most of it happened like 10 years ago, I was talking to her mum arecently and I asked if it still happens, she says since she got remarried it's all but stopped, the only thing that they still hear is footsteps coming from upstairs.

I've got a similar list of things that happened in my own house I'll post later, however as I said I put a lot of it down to overactive imagination, and since it was so long ago my memories of it all are pretty hazy. Still, that fucking seance will stay with me for the rest of my life.... ?(

Her mum has a website about it:

Link please. I want to see the pictures.

I think most ghostly goings on are results of active imaginations and logical explanations that just aren't immediately obvious.

For example I remember hearing a story a while ago about someone who thought they're house was haunted because they could hear a baby crying and footsteps upstairs every now and then. Eventually they looked in their loft and there was a family of illegal immigrants crashing there.

Doesn't explain all the stuff that happened at the house Ryan mentioned though.

For example I remember hearing a story a while ago about someone who thought they're house was haunted because they could hear a baby crying and footsteps upstairs every now and then. Eventually they looked in their loft and there was a family of illegal immigrants crashing there.

Thats much worse than having ghosts!

Link please. I want to see the pictures.

I think most ghostly goings on are results of active imaginations and logical explanations that just aren't immediately obvious.

Doesn't explain all the stuff that happened at the house Ryan mentioned though.

I've added links. Most of these kind of things I also attribute to overactive imaginations, however there was a family of four living in that house and everybody there saw and heard things, not to mention all the friends and relatives that used to visit all the time.

Is this a joke?

hey Lucky...

birds tap at windows if they see their own reflection (crow family)...that might explain "rapping at a 12ft high window"....or you could have had a basketball player freestying outside your window?

bird feather ... "appearing" .... hmm....sounds like it might have....blown....in ? (no, that couldn't happen, it MUST be a ghost put it there).

Piano's playing is mentioned in the Derren brown book, apparently someone phoned in to a "psychic" phonein, on a london radio station "I hear my piano playing a key or two now and again", to which the "psychic" said, "this might just be the strings expanding / contracting making them play" to which the caller said "oh...taht's a bit dissapointing, are you sure it's nothing 'other worldly?'" - to which he replied, "ah, actually, I did hear once that piano's playing on their own are often started by fairies and the psychic resonance in the house" - "Ah!, that's what I thought it might be"....

taking the piss, but completely unheard, as the person wanted to believe in the paranormal, not normal reason .... the need to be "special"...such a human need.

• Upvote 1

what happened with the seance Lucky Rathen

was it exorcist style shit like captain howdy?

I've never experienced anything paranormal but have heard a couple of stories from people i know

my next door neighbours said they had a toy train go flying across their living room one day. it belonged to their son that had passed away when he was 3 or 4.

my mum's friend was visiting her mothers grave with her child one day when the child started playing hide and seek with her 'nana' behind the grave stone.

I woke up about a month ago with someone standing over me staring at me. Now I dunno if I have some illegals in the attic or whatever (haha) but I kicked out at the guy and he disappeared. The bedroom door was closed and it was just myself and my girlfriend in the flat. I'd no idea who the guy was but he was just standing over me looking directly at me. Scared the shit out of me to be honest. Do I believe in ghosts, not sure to be honest, but I'd sure as hell like to hear someone explain it!

First person to say it was your girlfriends lover gets a gold star.

I woke up about a month ago with someone standing over me staring at me. Now I dunno if I have some illegals in the attic or whatever (haha) but I kicked out at the guy and he disappeared. The bedroom door was closed and it was just myself and my girlfriend in the flat. I'd no idea who the guy was but he was just standing over me looking directly at me. Scared the shit out of me to be honest. Do I believe in ghosts, not sure to be honest, but I'd sure as hell like to hear someone explain it!

First person to say it was your girlfriends lover gets a gold star.

It could have still just been the 'hangover' from the dream, ie you weren't completely awake and although you had your eyes open a part of your dream was still going on.

hey Lucky...

birds tap at windows if they see their own reflection (crow family)...that might explain "rapping at a 12ft high window"....or you could have had a basketball player freestying outside your window?

bird feather ... "appearing" .... hmm....sounds like it might have....blown....in ? (no, that couldn't happen, it MUST be a ghost put it there).

Piano's playing is mentioned in the Derren brown book, apparently someone phoned in to a "psychic" phonein, on a london radio station "I hear my piano playing a key or two now and again", to which the "psychic" said, "this might just be the strings expanding / contracting making them play" to which the caller said "oh...taht's a bit dissapointing, are you sure it's nothing 'other worldly?'" - to which he replied, "ah, actually, I did hear once that piano's playing on their own are often started by fairies and the psychic resonance in the house" - "Ah!, that's what I thought it might be"....

taking the piss, but completely unheard, as the person wanted to believe in the paranormal, not normal reason .... the need to be "special"...such a human need.

I actually agree with you, I'm fairly sceptical myself when it comes to these kinds of things. I'm not claiming for a second that it's ghosts that did any of these things, but it's still some fairly strange stuff, and I'd like to see you explain away every one of those occurences. As for the piano, I heard that myself, and it wasn't one of two keys softly expanding, it was a lot of keys, like a cat walking over the keys (and no they didn't have a cat!). There were other things too that she didn't list, like once her son Craig was downstairs, and he heard his sister screaming his name hysterically from upstairs, screaming for help in a total panic. He of course legged it upstairs to find that his sister wasn't even at home, and he was the only person in the house.

Again I'm not claiming to believe in ghosts, I am just pointing out things that have happened that I can't explain.

Possible I suppose but I remember vividly waking up and staring at this random who was just stood there staring at me for about ten seconds before I reacted by kicking out. Freaked me out for the next couple of days. As you say though more than likely to be a hangover from a dream, though I wasn't dreaming about anything as far as I can remember.

My mum told me a weird story about a teacher at her school who lives quite deep in the country somewhere. She is aware of this old-timer farmer chap around the house. Whilst she'd never sees him direct or face on, he's always in the corner of her eye, or moving out of rooms as se goes in. She didn't tell anyone for years bizarrely, but found out after a while that her husband and kids had the same experience, of regularly glimpsing this guy around the house, but not being afraid or anything, all keeping it equally secret.

One night apparently the whole family got woken up by loud banging on the door. They got up and looked around then spotted car lights in an unusual place. There'd been an minor accident and they ended up taking some people in for the night, who hadn't been anywhere near the house.

The weirdest thing for me is the secretive nature of it all. However, I guess you might think yourself cracking up were you to see these things, and prefer to keep em quiet.

Again I'm not claiming to believe in ghosts, I am just pointing out things that have happened that I can't explain.

I too agree that there are "strange things" that happen, but I'd imagine that all are explained by "short circuits" in the brain, so "odd electrical activity" - as that's all our brains are, really.

The idea I liked for explaining ghosts, were the specific minerals in rocks can "replay" energy trapped in them, if you think about it, like a giant tape (c90)...all that is, is a collection of iron parrticles, influenced by electro magnetic pulses, hey presto "music" can be played back...kind of makes me think that is the "best" explaination for most spooky situations...

but no, ther emust be an afterlife, think of all the "souls" over time, we'd be chukka block with spoooks by now, no?

----------

one of the best stories I heard, from our drummer murray, was he and his mum could smell strawberry jam , eminating from under the stairs one summer (husband & brother couldn't smell it), they opened the cupboard, and the smell dissapeared.

they were then told by a neighbour that the old lady who used to live there (and died in the house), used to mkae strawberry jam...under the stairs.

Murray also use to say to his mum and dad "I am off to play with the lady in my room" when he was 6 or so...

nice lady ghosts, awww. bless.