aberdeen-music

Ghosts / Paranormal thread

Guest idol_wild

Guest idol_wild

Interesting post, Flash. Thanks for sharing. If anyone else has genuine experiences and can be arsed typing them with the same level of detail as this, then go for it! :)

One night, some time ago, it was just me and Flash left at the bar. We were talking for some time before I needed to go to the toilet. When I went in, I discovered that one of the taps had been jammed down, and the sink was just about to overflow. Not thinking too much of it, I tugged at the tap to stop it pouring. About half an hour or so later when I went back in again, the tap had been jammed down again, and the sink once again was seconds from overflowing. Nobody else was in the building, and nobody had been in the toilet other than myself.

On another occassion, more recently, Angie and myself were on a night shift. It was a Monday so the bar was pretty dead. We were chatting away when all of a sudden we heard a thud behind us, and some of the keys that were hanging up were left swaying. We looked around to see if someone had maybe thrown something. This was not the case.

Later that evening, after everything had been cleared up and we turned off the lights to leave, all of a sudden we heard a humming coming from the stage area. Walking towards the stage I began to realise it was the smoke machine that had been turned on. It had not been on all night. We also realised then that we had forgotten to turn the amps off. The amps are kept in a cupboard by the stage with the smoke machine. Perhaps this was a friendly reminder?

I've witnessed a few other creepy things. Mainly BLATANT footsteps across the bar after closing.

I actually wonder why ghosts have to be so fucking mysterious the whole time. Why can't they just wave and say "hello"? None of this throwing stuff, disappearing into thin air, groaning in the night bollocks.

Whether or not this ghost (or ghosts) is intending to frighten, I'm not sure. I do know that if I was a ghost I'd probably get a little bored, and thus want to start having a little fun with the living (maybe that's why they are so mysterious?).

A lot of the talk about ghosts suggests that they can't see you and aren't aware of you at all, they may be trapped in a plane somewhere between life and an afterlife, and can only see what it looked like when they died. It could be someone who died in the Moorings or in the spot the Moorings stands on, and if it was and the theory is correct, he'll only be able to see what the building looked like in his time. The one turning off the taps could well be an old barman who's just stuck in this perpetual loop, doing the same things he did on the day of his death over and over and over again, unaware that he's even dead.

The one in the toilets could have been stirred up by building work being done, there are stories of ghosts become active when old parts of buildings are ripped out or restored. One family I read about had no problem with ghosts until they had their bathroom renovated, and suddenly started seeing a figure who would appear in the room and demand to know where his bath had gone. It could have been that he could see that the room had changed, but he, unaware that he was dead couldn't see the new people in the house, and had happilly been reliving his last moments over and over until suddenly the bath was ripped out which ruined the cycle.

There's a story in that book the Haunted North about a guy who slept in a hut somewhere in the Grampian Mountains that is there for hillwalkers to spend the night. During the night he was awoken by the sound of someone frantically banging on the door. When he opened it there was no-one there. When he mentioned it to someone the next day he was told it was fairly common, and that a man in years gone by had been out hillwalking and caught out by the weather, had headed for the shelter, only to find the door locked. He was found dead from exposure, sitting on the doorstep the next day. They reckon from then on he's been reliving those last few moments, which is why people keep hearing him banging on the door trying to get in.

Certainly there were a lot of deaths around that area. At the back of the Moorings is where the "Pottie" used to be - it was a deep, round pool with smooth edges where they used to drown criminals back in the day, strapping them to something then lwering them into the water till they died (which was filled in in the 1800s). Could be the ghost of an innocent guy pissed off at being drowned for something he didn't do.

I'm expecting to get a lot of abuse for this post from non-believers.

A lot of the talk about ghosts suggests that they can't see you and aren't aware of you at all, they may be trapped in a plane somewhere between life and an afterlife, and can only see what it looked like when they died. It could be someone who died in the Moorings or in the spot the Moorings stands on, and if it was and the theory is correct, he'll only be able to see what the building looked like in his time. The one turning off the taps could well be an old barman who's just stuck in this perpetual loop, doing the same things he did on the day of his death over and over and over again, unaware that he's even dead.

i quite like that theory ryan,

well thought out (or stolen, im not sure) but i like it

Oh absolutely stolen, I've read a lot of books about ghosts and hauntings (pretty much the entire occult section of Fraserburgh library, it's been a lifelong fascination of mine) and the theories behind it and that one crops up virtually every time.

In saying that, I'd still absolutely fucking brick it if I saw a ghost. :up:

Once the duty manager and myself were in cleaning up at around 2am. Nobody else was in the building. Back then the mop bucket used to live behind the bar. It's a sturdy little thing on wheels. I was up at the dance floor sweeping and Dougie was cleaning tables down near the door. We were both sober. There's this rumble rumble noise then a thump, then rumble rumble rumble, then the mop bucket appears at the bar hatch, then a thump and it rolls off the step onto the floor. Then it rumbles a couple of meters forward into the middle of the floor, a good 10 yards away from either of us, and then it tips over onto it's side which should be fucking impossible as it has 4 wheels. It was empty BTW. So this bucket had rolled forward 12 ", negotiated a perfect 90 degree right turn, rolled forward 3 feet, negotiated another perfect 90 degree to to bring in in line with the hatch, rolled neatly through the hatch barely wider than itself, down a step, another couple of meters then fallen onto it's side.

Sorry, but I find this impossible to believe. The Moorings actually has a mop? o_O o_O o_O

Guest idol_wild

The one in the toilets could have been stirred up by building work being done, there are stories of ghosts become active when old parts of buildings are ripped out or restored. One family I read about had no problem with ghosts until they had their bathroom renovated, and suddenly started seeing a figure who would appear in the room and demand to know where his bath had gone. It could have been that he could see that the room had changed, but he, unaware that he was dead couldn't see the new people in the house, and had happilly been reliving his last moments over and over until suddenly the bath was ripped out which ruined the cycle.

There's a story in that book the Haunted North about a guy who slept in a hut somewhere in the Grampian Mountains that is there for hillwalkers to spend the night. During the night he was awoken by the sound of someone frantically banging on the door. When he opened it there was no-one there. When he mentioned it to someone the next day he was told it was fairly common, and that a man in years gone by had been out hillwalking and caught out by the weather, had headed for the shelter, only to find the door locked. He was found dead from exposure, sitting on the doorstep the next day. They reckon from then on he's been reliving those last few moments, which is why people keep hearing him banging on the door trying to get in.

Certainly there were a lot of deaths around that area. At the back of the Moorings is where the "Pottie" used to be - it was a deep, round pool with smooth edges where they used to drown criminals back in the day, strapping them to something then lwering them into the water till they died (which was filled in in the 1800s). Could be the ghost of an innocent guy pissed off at being drowned for something he didn't do.

I like this whole post - mainly because it isn't some smart arse narrow-minded person trying to be funny.

The Moorings is in an ancient place. Ancient. Isn't Shiprow one of the oldest, if not the oldest, streets in Aberdeen? I'm sure I'm quite accurate in saying that. There's lots of history down near the harbour generally, really. And up on Castlegate. I would love to see pictures of Aberdeen Castle. Indeed, the Castlegate apparently has a ghost of it's own, but the story only mentioned something about a dark, mysteriously robed dark figure. Unconvincing.

On Friday night after work, me and Dan were in the keg room cos he was showing me the knack for changing the weihenstaphen keg. Suddenly the lights throughout the cellar went out.

It was Flash turning them off from upstairs. Cos he's a cunt.

Fucking shat yourselves too hah hah :)

All night long Teabags was like "Dan, please come down to the cellar with me to empty the bucket"

Nah. Though, I did need to cool down for over a week so I didn't call you a moron and end up looking like an arsehole.

Be thankful I restrained myself; else I'll conjure up my most powerful dead relatives to turn off your kettle just a second too soon, or hide that last screw you needed for your cabinet. Odin help you if you even dare walk down the 9th step of any stairs at 3.13pm on February the 29th.

• 3 weeks later...

Dammit

Bollocks - I'd just about recovered from your ghost stories of a few years ago and now I'm all freaky again. I think I'll revert to teenage years and visit the ladies with a friend or two.

OK,

Here are my ghost stories... sure I've posted these before but what the hell?

The ghost turns off the gas cylinders at the valves. You're in the bar yourself, working through the day, no other staff, nobody has access to the gas. Suddenly the beer stops pouring so you go downstairs and there no CO2 pressure, you think this is weird because you only changed the cylinder the day before, so you check and sure enough it's turned off. If was clearly on earlier because the beer was pouring then. This also happens with the mixed gas, but not with the fizzy drinks machine.

It also turns off the gas feeds to individual drinks. All of a sudden the Guinness or whatever will stop pouring and you go down and the keg is full, then you notice the gas pressure to the Guinness is down, and that the valve has been turned off at the cellar buoy. This can happen with pretty much any product,

Pretty much all the full time staff (the ones who change kegs and cylinders) have experienced this at least once, and some of us have had it happen many times. It gets worse when there's building work going on.

After the bar is shut, you can hear people walking about down in the cellar, this is very common. If you go down there you can hear people walking about upstairs. It's usual to hear the keg cellar door slam shut, a noise we're used to, but a bit creepy if all the bar tenders are upstairs...

Glasses quite often jump off the shelves. I've seen this happen and it was like the glass was pushed/knocked off.

Once the duty manager and myself were in cleaning up at around 2am. Nobody else was in the building. Back then the mop bucket used to live behind the bar. It's a sturdy little thing on wheels. I was up at the dance floor sweeping and Dougie was cleaning tables down near the door. We were both sober. There's this rumble rumble noise then a thump, then rumble rumble rumble, then the mop bucket appears at the bar hatch, then a thump and it rolls off the step onto the floor. Then it rumbles a couple of meters forward into the middle of the floor, a good 10 yards away from either of us, and then it tips over onto it's side which should be fucking impossible as it has 4 wheels. It was empty BTW. So this bucket had rolled forward 12 ", negotiated a perfect 90 degree right turn, rolled forward 3 feet, negotiated another perfect 90 degree to to bring in in line with the hatch, rolled neatly through the hatch barely wider than itself, down a step, another couple of meters then fallen onto it's side.

One evening I was the only person in the bar and finishing up in the cellar. I was in the office which is roughly under table 4/table 5. It was around 2.30 am. Earlier in the week the police had been in with a missing persons form. This woman who was a regular customer of the bar had gone missing and nobody knew where she was. We had to call a number if we saw her. This woman had been drinking in the bar since the 70s.

Anyway I started to get the chills, and feel a thumping in my head. Suddenly this little piece of paper fluttered down from the cellar roof and landed face up on my desk. It was a little B&W passport photo, and old photo of a woman. Now the chills really intensified and I broke out in massive goosebumps. My head was absolutely pounding and it felt like the pressure in the room had intensified. My focus as directed completely at this picture and I was feeling a rising sense of panic. I turned it over and on the back in said "Anne 1976". It was an old photo of the missing woman. I bolted up and out of the cellar, upstairs then out of the bar. I stood outside for 20 minutes to scared to go back in and lock up. Later on we discovered than Anne had died. I don't know the full circumstances.

I've never seen the photo again, but later found a similar one, from the same set, in some old bar documents that I had at home.

That was creepy shit.

Once I came up from the cellar and a small knife flew past my head. It was a harmless bread knife. I just assumed that someone had hidden after closing and was playing a joke on me - there was nobody there.

A few weeks back I went downstairs to get my jacket to leave, I heard Amy and Chris should goodnight but Teabags was still upstairs. I could hear him moving about. I did my end of day shit, got my jacket and headed back up. There was no sign of him so I thought he must have gone for a piss or a wank as I could hear noises from the gents. I waited for ages and eventually went into the toilets looking for him. Turned out that he'd left with Chris and Amy. BTW you are all cunts for leaving me alone in there :(

• 6 months later...
Guest Gladstone

I've never read this thread before - I love all this sort of stuff. I'll be completely honest. I believe in ghosts.

Here are a couple of stories...

When my mum was a teenager, she used to go and visit a friend of my Grandma's (Mum's mum) called Lilian, and stay over etc etc. Lilian's mum was really unwell for a while, and pretty much on her last legs. Apparently Lilian's mum had always been really fond of my mum when she was growing up etc etc. So, one Monday morning after my Mum had been away visiting Lilian over the weekend, my Mum woke up in the middle of the night, and there was someone standing by her bed, stroking my Mum's hair. Initially, she just instinctively thought it was her own Mum. "What's wrong?" No response. "What's wrong?" No response. So my Mum is shitting it (she can't see who it is because it's pitch dark in the room), she eventually plucks up the courage and jumps out of bed and sticks the light on. Nobody there. She looks at the clock and it's 1.10am. Eventually goes back to sleep with the light on, shitting herself.

She gets up in the morning and tells her mum and dad at the breakfast table who just scoff and tell her she must have been dreaming. The phone then rings, and my Grandma answers, and my mum watches her turning pale. She comes off the phone and says "Lilian's mum died at ten past one this morning"

Spooky as fuck.

I grew up in a house with quite a few weird goings on - here's a couple.

My mum and dad split up when I was about 16, and when I was 18 I think it was, my Mum had a new man in her life, and he was pretty much staying with us at the time. He was doing odd jobs around the house one day, and one of them was to have a look at some damp that was appearing on the wall in my bedroom. When my mum got home from work, Rod says "where's the key for Calum's bedroom?" Mum's like "there isn't one, we've never had a key the whole time we've been here". So Rod tells her to follow him, he tries my door and it opens no problem, and he's completely flabbergasted. He's adamant that the door just wouldn't open earlier because it was locked. Now, we later found out that the old guy who used to live in our house kept his safe in that room. Rod also turned out to be pretty untrustworthy, and he was English, which a Buchan man born in the 1800s probably wouldn't have liked...

By far the scariest experience for me in that house was also when I was 18. I wasn't actually living in the house at the time, but my mum was away for the weekend, and I was looking after the dog. My girlfriend at the time was coming round, and we were sleeping in a downstairs room, beside the stairs. The doors were locked, nobody else in the house. The dog was shut in a room at the other end of the house. We'd just gone to bed, turned the lights out at about 11pm. Not long after I heard distinct footsteps, pretty loud running up the stairs, then I heard voices upstairs. Like an actual conversation, and footsteps upstairs. Initially I was trying to convince myself that it was people running down the lane that ran down the back of the house, but it definitely wasn't. It all went quiet again, and I was kind of hoping I'd imagined it. I asked Emma, and she had heard the exact same thing. Then all of a sudden someone definitely ran down the stairs very loudly, and then along the hall, and it all went quiet. (Fucking hell, I'm getting goosebumps just typing this). We both completely froze. After about 5 minutes, I went and had a look, but nothing there at all. There was definitely nobody in the house, and couldn't have been because the doors were locked, all the doors in the hall that the "person" ran into were closed, so we would have heard any doors opening/closing etc. Scared the fuck out of me (and Emma).

Then early hours of the morning (once it was light, so maybe 5 or 6am ish). My dog (forgot to mention that my dog was acting totally weird before we went to bed - just staring at a space in the living room, and not reacting when we shouted on her etc), started barking. Not barking like she would if she heard something outside, just one bark every few seconds. It was fucking weird. I went, and let her out, thinking she was wanting a piss or something, but she just came out of the living room, and sort of looked outside. She wasn't interested in getting outside at all. I kind of dragged her out in the hope she was just being a lazy little fucker, but she definitely wasn't needing the toilet, so I took her back in, but I had to practically drag her back into the living room which was totally unlike her - but she really didn't want to back in that room. I did eventually get her in, but she started the whole weird barking thing again, so I went through the whole process again, and then when she went back in, she was quiet for about 15 minutes, then she let out one bark, and I was like "fucksake, what's wrong with her", but that was it, she just stopped barking after that. It was just all pretty weird. My dog could easily have just been acting up, but it was just a coincidence with what happened the night before, and there was definitely something weird in that house.

Anyway, I was actually going to give my opinion on ghosts before but got distracted. Personally, I don't believe in them as I find a lot of things can be explained in a rational way. I don't mean that in a derisory way against anyone who does believe but the way my mind works is that something needs to have a logical explanation before I can fully believe in it. For instance, when I first moved into my old flat I was in the bathroom and could hear voices like they were in the room with me. It turned out the size and shape of the air vent actually picked up the slightest noise and amplified it. You'd hear conversations out in the street, footsteps from people across the road and even my next door neighbours TV if he had the window open. I'd be open to have my mind and opinion changed but until a boffin (Igon Spenglar for instance) can actually prove and explain a reason for their existence I'm going to remain sceptical.

Guest idol_wild
I've never read this thread before - I love all this sort of stuff. I'll be completely honest. I believe in ghosts.

Here are a couple of stories...

When my mum was a teenager, she used to go and visit a friend of my Grandma's (Mum's mum) called Lilian, and stay over etc etc. Lilian's mum was really unwell for a while, and pretty much on her last legs. Apparently Lilian's mum had always been really fond of my mum when she was growing up etc etc. So, one Monday morning after my Mum had been away visiting Lilian over the weekend, my Mum woke up in the middle of the night, and there was someone standing by her bed, stroking my Mum's hair. Initially, she just instinctively thought it was her own Mum. "What's wrong?" No response. "What's wrong?" No response. So my Mum is shitting it (she can't see who it is because it's pitch dark in the room), she eventually plucks up the courage and jumps out of bed and sticks the light on. Nobody there. She looks at the clock and it's 1.10am. Eventually goes back to sleep with the light on, shitting herself.

She gets up in the morning and tells her mum and dad at the breakfast table who just scoff and tell her she must have been dreaming. The phone then rings, and my Grandma answers, and my mum watches her turning pale. She comes off the phone and says "Lilian's mum died at ten past one this morning"

Spooky as fuck.

I'm glad this thread has been brought back to life (ahem).

Good post, Gladdy. The bit above is something that has happened to a couple of my close friends (though to their family members also) and I always find those stories interesting.

I think it's a very arrogant viewpoint for human beings to think that science explains absolutely everything. There are still many things we don't understand.

That said, I have been becoming more of a skeptic of late.

I think the best ones i know of is a couple of tales from my Dad who being a young lad in the 1970's thought it would be funny to dabble in the "arts" by that I mean he, my aunt Grace and Uncle robbie sat down for an old game of fuck around with what you dont understand..i.e ouija board.

Now, everytime I bring this story up with my dad it's like trying to draw blood from a stone.. he will just not speak about it and gets very serious.. which is odd for a man with sense of humour almost as big as his paint bush collection ( he's a painter a decorator foreman lol)

According to him one night they sat in my grandmothers house and played with this ouija board.. as you'd expect nothing was happening... my grandmother had a black cat and my father was an avid bowie fan...so if it was a night to envoke the wrath of spirits there was no better concoction... anywho..the planchet ( the pointy thing for the ouija board lamen) began to vibrate and just as that BANG ! the bulbs in the house all blew and the cat let out a shriek and died ...stiff as if were made out of cardboard..safe to say my dad didn't stick around and rode off on a bike that was sitting outside the house..no doubt wishing the wind resistance from the giant lapels and the bell bottoms stopped slowing him down as he turned to look at the house, the planchet was tapping at the window as he fled..

After this he's apparently experienced numourous occurrences.. my dad doesn't like to use the term "Ghost" and prefers "unexplained phenomenon" but in his current house with his wfe..sometimes there's a smell of pipe tobacco in the living room ..before he died the grandfather in law would always smoke a pipe in the living room and would drive my step mum nuts...and on one occasion al lthe photos in the house had been turned 180 degrees..

There's a few other good uns but i think i've typed enough lol..enjoy

I think it's a very arrogant viewpoint for human beings to think that science explains absolutely everything. There are still many things we don't understand.

I agree with that to an extent, particularly when (perceived?) human experience is poo-pooed by scientific theory. Having never experienced anything remotely paranormal I'm still of the opinion that these stories are a mixture of coincidence and tricks of the mind but you never know......

I woke up on Sunday morning to a strange hissing sound and felt a warm breeze. All of a sudden there was a smell of decay and death and I heard my girlfriend shriek. My blood ran cold until I realised that I'd done one of those pthhhhhhh farts that is guaranteed to be an eye waterer. There's an explanation for most things.

Around seven years ago when I still lived with my parents, I was getting a lift back from a friend late at night from being in town. My parents live in the middle of no where and the roads out there are single track. So we were driving along this very straight single track bit of road not far from my parents house when suddenly up ahead a man appeared out of no where with his back to us standing at the side of the road. He didn't turn round or step of the road, just stood there incredibly still as we drove past. There was something really erie about this guy. His appearance was very old fashioned and it was strange how he didn't step of the road or even make the slightest movement. After my friend dropped me of he later sent me a message telling me that there was no sign of this guy on the way back.

I've also had a few weird experiences when I have been in the abandoned Broadford Works factory on Maberly Street. One time when I was in there me and a friend climbed some steps to get to a room. We had a look about and then left the room and climbed back down the steps. As we got to the bottom of the steps the door to the room slammed shut. The night was incredibly still. No wind at all, so I cant think what would of caused that door to slam. We promptly left.

Another time we were in there we heard a faint noise coming from an area we were near. The noise only seemed to happen every so often and I can't describe it at all. As we approached the noise seemed to get louder and more consistent and as we shone lights the direction of the sound it got even louder and more constant. Again we left pretty quickly!

That place is pretty scary. Pretty much every time I have been in there something has happened that I can't explain.