aberdeen-music

Founded Back In 1965...

Flash@TMB

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, yeah it still is supporting the venue, really, as they are there. In the venue. They could easily be somewhere else...

Your original ascertion was that merely playing a gig for money could somehow be construed as supporting the venue. The example was cited to highlight what would happen if everyone only offered their support in that way.

Even paying full price, a band does not drink enough to cover the costs of enabling it to play. Under those circumstances a venue would be better of closing it's doors.

As someone lots of business experience and fairly good grasp of economics, P&L etc... please just trust me on this one - OK?

Your original ascertion was that merely playing a gig for money could somehow be construed as supporting the venue. The example was cited to highlight what would happen if everyone only offered their support in that way.

Even paying full price, a band does not drink enough to cover the costs of enabling it to play. Under those circumstances a venue would be better of closing it's doors.

As someone lots of business experience and fairly good grasp of economics, P&L etc... please just trust me on this one - OK?

To be fair, I never mentioned anything about playing a gig for money that the venue is paying out. I'm not saying that a band would cover the costs, just that buying drinks is supporting the venue.

To be fair, I never mentioned anything about playing a gig for money that the venue is paying out. I'm not saying that a band would cover the costs, just that buying drinks is supporting the venue.

You mean as opposed to bringing your own booze, or drinking in the Wetherspoons across the street between sets?

On behalf of all small venues: Cheers mate! We appreciate your heartfelt support. See you next booking :)

You mean as opposed to bringing your own booze, or drinking in the Wetherspoons across the street between sets?

On behalf of all small venues: Cheers mate! We appreciate your heartfelt support. See you next booking :)

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but I know of people who have done both of those things, so it's not exactly uncommon, especially in venues where drinks prices are quite high (I'm not saying they should be cheaper).

I love places like One Up, R&B and the Moorings, they are doing something different, they try and cater for people in a more personal way and they have character. I don't also dont mind paying a little extra for these things.

I will always support places like that, I don't understand why anyone wouldn't. Some people just don't appreciate what they have, if all the independant places stopped trading then everywhere would be filled with boring places that don't give a fuck about their customers. It would be shit.

Congratulations on the longevity of your fine establishment, I spent more than a few nights their in the late 80's/early 90's and it always had integrity, as well as vibe. Does MC and his brother Sid ever still come in, if so tell them hi fae me. I don't see what people are complaining about in this thread, fuck the chain pubs, eternally.

As a Moorings regular for more than 15 years now I can definately say that it's my favourite pub in Aberdeen but I still like the odd visit to other bars around town, including the chain pubs mentioned.

Laura and Flash have definately given the bar a new lease of life since they took it over and it's good to see the bar filled on a weekend. I'm sure the average age of the clientelle has lowered considerably since their reign.

The presence of a new stage, new sound system, new jukebox, toilets, stools, tables, touch-screen tills and lighting has certainly drawn in the crowds. I only hope all this extra income doesn't encourage Flash and Laura to take early retirement in the Costa Del Sol any time soon.

Congratulations on the longevity of your fine establishment, I spent more than a few nights their in the late 80's/early 90's and it always had integrity, as well as vibe. Does MC and his brother Sid ever still come in, if so tell them hi fae me. I don't see what people are complaining about in this thread, fuck the chain pubs, eternally.

Very occasionally see them. Sid settled down and moved somewhere out the road. MC played with his new band in the bar about 3 years ago.

I only hope all this extra income doesn't encourage Flash and Laura to take early retirement in the Costa Del Sol any time soon.

I reckon there's another 20+ years left in us at least. Prospective 4th generation caretakers should apply around 2028 onwards. The successful candidate was probably born sometime between 1993 and 2000. Scary huh?

Hell if The Moorings closed down for whatever reason i'd be lost.

Absolutely. The only thing that kept me out drinking these past few years has been the knowledge that I can turn round and say "Screw you guys! I'm heading to The Moorings!". It's that little lifeline and centre of Aberdeen nightlife that saved me and several of my friends from hermit-ism and depression. Though I've found myself studying in Glasgow now, The Moorings remains the venue that I compare all others against - and the one that I head to the moment the holidays come about!

We owe you guys at The Moorings much! Keep up the brilliant work.

((Btw, anyone know the location of a venue on the north side of Glasgow similar to The Moorings? o_O ))

The only thing that kept me out drinking these past few years has been the knowledge that I can turn round and say "Screw you guys! I'm heading to The Moorings!". It's that little lifeline and centre of Aberdeen nightlife that saved me and several of my friends from hermit-ism and depression.

We owe you guys at The Moorings much! Keep up the brilliant work.

Without a shadow of a doubt !!!.

Even if your out of pocket it must be great knowing you have supplied Aberdeen for years with great entertainment and and extensive and fairly cheap selection of beer.

Baltika for me !