aberdeen-music

2007/2008 season thread

RossP

To be fair to our defence, we had a right-back who is severely lacking in match practice and brand new to the club, two ridiculously young centre-backs, and an incompetent centre-back playing at left-back. Playing against two big, strong, mobile, World Class centre-forwards. One of which is a World Cup winner.

I expected to ship at least 4 goals. So all in all, our defence did brilliantly. Langfield had little to do. In fact, I'd say our defence looked more secure than Bayern's at times.

Aluko's nutmeg on Lucio was fucking priceless.

Lee Miller was outstanding. And Mackie's sheer workrate was good to see. Roughing up some arrogant centre-backs who thought they'd stroll it.

Well done, Dandies.

Phil, not for the first time, I have to side with you. I thought our back four (and Clangers) were superb. Maybury looks the real deal at fullback. If we have Jackie mac instead of Mair for the second leg, the ship should be steadied even further. Bayern's left back had an absolute holocaust in the first half. Aluko, Nicholson and Mackie got in the channel almost at will. Also; the much-maligned Severin and Miller deserve some recognition for tremendous performances. Miller outjumped and outfought two top-class centrebacks for the first hour, until he tired.

Calling the defence a shambles is unjust. Given the amount of possession Bayern had, they created very little. We had to defend deep, and it worked brilliantly. We drew their defenders high up the field, then Seve and Walker would fire the ball in behind their fullbacks for Aluko and Mackie to fight for. The tactics were spot on. If our defenders held a higher line, then they would have simply passed their way through us and behind, or else punted it up to Toni to flick on for Klose and Schweinsteiger. Zander and Considine kept their front two on the edge of the area with their backs to goal, where they could cause the least amount of damage. No space to knock the ball into, too congested to pass through. In so doing, they prevented Schweinsteiger from getting in behind, and from isolating our fullbacks (apart from first ten minutes). Calderwood can often be guilty of getting his tactics wrong, but not on this occasion.

Love from Christy

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Calling the defence a shambles is unjust. Given the amount of possession Bayern had, they created very little. We had to defend deep, and it worked brilliantly. We drew their defenders high up the field, then Seve and Walker would fire the ball in behind their fullbacks for Aluko and Mackie to fight for. The tactics were spot on. If our defenders held a higher line, then they would have simply passed their way through us and behind, or else punted it up to Toni to flick on for Klose and Schweinsteiger. Zander and Considine kept their front two on the edge of the area with their backs to goal, where they could cause the least amount of damage. No space to knock the ball into, too congested to pass through. In so doing, they prevented Schweinsteiger from getting in behind, and from isolating our fullbacks (apart from first ten minutes). Calderwood can often be guilty of getting his tactics wrong, but not on this occasion.

Love from Christy

There's an arguments for both deep and high lines here. On one hand, it's preferable to squeeze a team that plays Bayern's style of game into a smaller space. But then again, as you say, letting them slowly push up onto us allowed Aberdeen to play a more effective counter attacking game when their full backs started pushing forward. Also, it's arguable that given the type of strikers both Toni and Klose are it's better to push up so they're not bringing the ball down on the edge of your penalty area. Neither of them is really inclined to make runs in behind. But then Considine and Diamond are both more suited to penalty box defending rather than having to turn and face their own goal.

It's nae a decision I envy Calderwood having to make and the players did everything you could have asked of them. I'm also just glad people want to discuss thinks in more depth than "so and so is shite!" and "Calderwood, sort it oooot!" :)

In fairness I thought Aberdeen were unlucky with the result. I listened to the game on the radio whilst watching the Killie v. Rangers game, and the lions share of chances and possession came from the Dons. After seeing the highlights this morning there were some real bad misses in there, when it was 1-1 and 2-1, which could've changed the course of the game.

I was delighted with the result however, as I had a tenner on Rangers, Hibs and Portsmouth to win. Not only that, but we are now above the Dons :p

A good result v. Motherwell on Wednesday please :love:

Have a good one! (But behave yourself with the frauleins etc!)

Was that your wee bro in the paper tonight? (Flight to Munich cancelled)

I will hopefully be in the Hollburn Bar joining in the neds chorus of appreciation for the Dons win!

:gringo:

don't think i'll be starting any trouble like i did in madrid alan so dinna worry.

yup, wee Daniel had his flight cancelled although has since splashed out on another way to get over. think he turns up on thursday and now goes home on Saturday.

must say...the beer is fantastic over here!