aberdeen-music

2007/2008 season thread

RossP

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've certainly always found the Highland League really entertaining. I dare say that's nae the case if you're a Lossie/Brora/some other joke outfit like.

I attended home games at Fraserburgh for about 15 years. Good times. We've had some quality players over the years. How Mikey Stephen never got picked up by a bigger team I'll never understand. He had trials with Norwich back in his early 20s. He must be about 30 now and he's scored 230 goals for us in 400 games, all from the left wing. He was the best player in the Highland league for many a season.

Though we did sell Scott Murray (now of Bristol City) to Aston Villa about 10 years back. Built a new stand from the proceeds. He's a quality player. He's scored about 80 goals in the English championship and league 1 from the right wing. We also sold Marino Keith to Dundee United, he later went on to play for Falkirk, Livingston and Plymouth.

We also have 2 weird scottish records - longest standing manager in Charlie Duncan who took over in 1984 and is still in charge. And we're the only team ever to play 3 sets of brothers in the starting X1....

Guest idol_wild

I am wondering if there is something very wrong going on behind the scenes...

I think there clearly is. I've said for months that our UEFA Cup "performances" have papered over many cracks at the club this season.

I attended home games at Fraserburgh for about 15 years. Good times. We've had some quality players over the years. How Mikey Stephen never got picked up by a bigger team I'll never understand. He had trials with Norwich back in his early 20s. He must be about 30 now and he's scored 230 goals for us in 400 games, all from the left wing. He was the best player in the Highland league for many a season.

Though we did sell Scott Murray (now of Bristol City) to Aston Villa about 10 years back. Built a new stand from the proceeds. He's a quality player. He's scored about 80 goals in the English championship and league 1 from the right wing. We also sold Marino Keith to Dundee United, he later went on to play for Falkirk, Livingston and Plymouth.

We also have 2 weird scottish records - longest standing manager in Charlie Duncan who took over in 1984 and is still in charge. And we're the only team ever to play 3 sets of brothers in the starting X1....

Keith have Mark Perry. I think that negates any claim to "fame" other teams might have. Were you at Fraserburgh - Keith on Saturday? Sounded like a bit of a tanking.

We sold Allan Smart to an English Premier League club whilst still in the Highland League. That's a pretty good stat, which I doubt many Highland League clubs could match

As well as that we had a player who went from Highland League to Liverpool, ended up as the reserve team coach, followed by becoming one of Staunton's backroom staff at Ireland.

And some other guy who went from us to Chelsea and Tottenham.

Both players names escape me at the minute though...

Just out of interest RossP, who was your team before the merger?

Also, could you draw some elbows sticking/flying out from the McCulloch circle?

As a kid my dad tried to make me a Dons fan, but since it was the Alec Miller era it didn't appeal. So then I had an interest in Lazio, as I wanted to be Guiseppe Signori; whilst following the Scotland National team. I also had interest in Sheffield Wed with Chris Waddle for the same reason...

Then in 1993 (I was 10 years old) I started supporting Caledonian after really enjoying a friendly match v. Aberdeen. The next year was the merger, so I supported Caledonian Thistle (as they were known before the "Inverness" was added). I then left Elgin City as a player to join Caledonian Thistle; so supported them more fervently...

14 years and 3 promotions later, i support them with the same passion and dismay...

Close enough eh?

You are right, at the age of 10 I should have made more of a concerted effort to know the manager of a team I wasn't interested in; so that just in case the topic came up in conversation 14 years later, I would appear knowledgable.

Couldn't make it down to Tannadice I take it? ;)

You are right, at the age of 10 I should have made more of a concerted effort to know the manager of a team I wasn't interested in; so that just in case the topic came up in conversation 14 years later, I would appear knowledgable.

Couldn't make it down to Tannadice I take it? ;)

I didn't mean it like that you fucking idiot! Is there any need for you to act like such a pretentious wanker every time i post something in relation to what you've said.

I actually can't afford to go to Tannadice or to anything at the moment as i have just split up with my girlfriend and have been shouldered with the burden of a mortgage all to myself.

So FUCK YOU. Seriously.

I didn't mean it like that you fucking idiot? Is there any need for you to act like such a pretentious wanker every time i post something in relation to what you've said.

I actually can't afford to go to Tannadice or to anything at the moment as i have just split up with my girlfriend and have been shouldered with the burden of a mortgage all to myself.

So FUCK YOU. Seriously.

Settle petal.

How was it meant then??

Bad news about the relationship split, but why the hell bring that up ?(