aberdeen-music

the OFFICIAL fudge awards 2007 thread :)

The Ghost Of Fudge

...also it almost seemed like "the people who drink in the moorings awards"

I used to complain about this when most of the Fudge gigs were held in Drakes... and back then the Internet poll votes didn't count.

But the way I understand it is that the awards ceremony relates specifically to Fudge gigs, and in fairness these have all been very busy of late, with diverse crowds, so plenty of people have gotten the opportunity to vote. The voting slips are only handed out and returned during gigs. Only the paying punters are handed voting slips, none of our regulars are charged entry and are therefore largely excluded from voting.

There will obviously be a heavy bias towards bands that have actually played a fudge gig, as there fans will have had a chance to vote. And of course there is always a strong bias towards the venues that the gigs are held in; that's where people are filling out the slips.

Everything has good years and bad years. I think that the choice of night was unfortunate, as it was close to the end of the month, there was a Scotland match on, the students were nearing the end of term, and the town as a whole WAS very quiet. The 8 was probably a touch steep. I also agree with Paul that the town is lacking somewhere to give young bands their first gig. The beginning of Feb would be better timing.

I'm happy with the fact that Stand and Deliver was played twice, and the Foxtopus got into the program...

i really want to see the pictures in the zine, i'll buy you a drink if you take it with you when i meet up with you next... which will be soon i hope. not too long until student loan day and richness.:up:

The night was very strange I felt. The bands were actually quite enjoyable - I thought Amplifico sounded a little like Ace of Base at times though. However, the atmosphere was just completely lacking. Last year, I thought that the Fudge Awards were slightly toned down in terms of excitement / controversy but this year it felt like they were taking place in a deserted warehouse or something. I know there were many reasons why people possibly couldn't attend but it was nevertheless a bit of a shock. I perhaps should have guessed when I bought ticket No.23(!) from the Lemon Tree on Saturday afternoon.

It brought a tear to my eye (almost). I remember the days .... VIP tables in Moshulu... rousing hate-filled speeches...folk arriving in limos... blah,blah,blah.

change of Venue?

Perhaps it could be held in The Moorings, we could all stand around slapping each others backs and get an award with every 4th drink bought or something, you could have a choice of delicious toasties as prizes , yeah, The Moorings gets my vote, MON The Moorings.

It's not just the actual awards show that was the problem. People need to know what fudge is and how it relates to the Aberdeen music scene. It wasn't needed to be done before, but now that there are much more different promoters, Fudge need to differentiate themselves from the rest of the local promoters.

For a start having more gigs in different venues where there isn't an over 18 age restriction would help. I know there are a lot of people on these boards who went to their first fudge gig when they were under 18.

and who won what?

there you go hog was posted earlier in the thread...

Most missed - today we fight!

Best clubnight - air guitar at moshulu

Best venue - the moorings bar

Best indie copy ha ho and the little kicks tied

Best extreme - filthpact

Best punk - the upstarts

Best rock - fiction/action

The annual black atom award (most metal) - black atom

Best of the rest - hookers green #1

Lifetimeachievement award - captain tom

Most shaggable - camie and I can't remember who got it for the girls.

Most punchable - jamesy

Best international - strong like ox

Best necomer - kartta

Best live - project:venhell

Worst band - my minds weapon

Best band - panda eyes

I liked Project Ven Hell, never seen them before. Pretty mental stuff.

I liked the cleavage on the 2nd band but thought they were pretty boring.

Then I went home because I'd been drinking since 2pm. :down: Still haven't seen Eric Euan.

Had never been to a Fudge Awards before and don't know enough about it to comment.

The annual black atom award (most metal) - black atom

We weren't there when this was awarded, so the 'most metal' award went to Element 106.

Well, i say that, but big pete from the moorings had the gnome. feck knows.

Considering that we've only played about 7 times in the past 12 months i for one would of felt quite silly indeed going up to collect said award.