aberdeen-music

the OFFICIAL fudge awards 2007 thread :)

The Ghost Of Fudge

www.myspace.com/itsmoreofaflan

and aye i received a text telling me the news when i woke up this morning, what a pleasant surprise :up:

That was a bit of a weird one. As asked before, where was everyone?

All the bands were great that played.

If you still have the Eric Euan sampler from last night then put it on your cd player. It's a fantastic recording! Been listening to it all day.

Most missed - today we fight!

Best clubnight - air guitar at moshulu

Best venue - the moorings bar

Best indie copy ha ho and the little kicks tied

Best extreme - filthpact

Best punk - the upstarts

Best rock - fiction/action

The annual black atom award (most metal) - black atom

Best of the rest - hookers green #1

Lifetimeachievement award - captain tom

Most shaggable - camie and I can't remember who got it for the girls.

Most punchable - jamesy

Best international - strong like ox

Best necomer - kartta

Best live - project:venhell

Worst band - my minds weapon

Best band - panda eyes

Many of these were actually won by Bobby as none of the fuckers turned up to collect them.

Most shaggable - camie and I can't remember who got it for the girls.

Rebecca aka 'FezMonkey' aka 'Fez' aka 'Scone' aka 'Trufflebuns'. But she did vote for herself about eight times, the sly stoat.

Didn't E106 get something? If I'd been there at the time I'd have picked it up just to make sure that bald cunt didn't......

I think that the - lack of massive - turnout was partly due to the fact that without a venue like Drakes, it's much harder to get your first few gigs and establish yourself as a new band (particularly for those with no members that have gigging experience and contacts). This not only means that it's harder for bands to be noticed enough to be put on a fudge bill, but that their fans end up having no idea about something as decent as the awards.

This was reflected last night by the fact that there was pretty much no underagers (I was 17 at my first awards), and it was all the usual suspects. As folk leave town, bands split up, and people in their twenties almost seem to grow out of local gigging, there's no young folk replacing them in the Fudge crowd. There's not a lack of kids at gigs, but i'd say there was a lack of them at Fudge gigs.

As for the awards, they were, as usual, a night of top-class banter, catching up with everyone, and drunken debauchery. Not the most varied of line-ups (which again could be a reason for the turnout), but the bands were all solid, and that girl from Amplifico should have probably won cleavage of the evening. Fudge awards are always a laugh and it would be a travesty if they didn't continue in some form or another.

That was the first fudge awards I've missed other than the very first one - didn't sound like I missed that much really, which is a shame as I used to enjoy it.

I'm glad to have been in a couple of bands that won awards mind you, especially the "worst band" which I take as a pretty big compliment as everyone knows what that award really means.

That was the first fudge awards I've missed other than the very first one - didn't sound like I missed that much really, which is a shame as I used to enjoy it.

I'm glad to have been in a couple of bands that won awards mind you, especially the "worst band" which I take as a pretty big compliment as everyone knows what that award really means.

They split up...?:p

You're all missing the point to be honest.

Basically, the awards has mainly relied on the same crowd year after year and that has dwindled. Brian and Craig need to start paying more attention to whats more current, seeing what music is about nowadays and going to shows. Seeing what the 14+ crowd are going to. i don't care what anyone says, the line up was weak. Maybe not musically but as far as pulling power goes...for sure.

If Fudge would like input into the awards then i'd oblige and probably triple the attendance of last night. Of course I'd want a cut of the door ;)

It was a bit of a poor turnout but it's quality not quantity boys. And it wasn't quite the spectacular show of self backslapping as in previous years (well, not all the awards anyway...). Good to see that there were some suprises though and I thought Amplificto were amazing.

And Flash taught me some self defense moves which was very illuminating. And painful.

I think the problem is that charismatic legends like me haven't been playing gigs during the last year and that this in turn has led to a general down turn in the importance of the scene. No one can replace bands such as Point of Origin and Stayover in terms of sure fire popularity, infectiousness (though I'm now in the clear) and sheer excess and because of this interest is beginning to wain. Local musicians no longer have a strong benchmark to compare themselves to whilst beautiful groupies can no longer get their rocks off sucking proper rock star cock off. Myself and the boys feel sorry for them, but in the mean time there's a whole club scene we have to service.

Without a Fudge Fanzine to build up or tear down local Z-listers we can never truly appreciate the importance of the Fudge awards. No Fudge Fanzine, no Fudge Awards. Simple.

Basically, the awards has mainly relied on the same crowd year after year and that has dwindled.

B I N G O

B I N G O

B I N G O

and Bingo was his Name-O!

Pay attention kids, the boy has it.

It was a bit of a poor turnout but it's quality not quantity boys.

No. It's quality in quantity that counts. Quality in scarcity is unfortunate at best and nothing more than luck at worst.

The Upstarts should've played. Or some similiarly popular kid band. Dave makes good points, but I also think that fact that people don't argue on the internet anymore has something to do with the poor turnout too. The oppressive threat of ego-led violence was the main reason to go to the Fudge Awards in previous years. At least Craigie got his Nat King.

no offence to craigie and brian cos i love those guys and they know this...

but i didnt think much of this years "awards ceremony"

there was a distinct lack of atmosphere for the whole night

maybe cos i had a cold and was feeling rubbish probably didnt help much

but i didnt enjoy the bands much and i thought the glitz and glamour of previous years didnt seem to be there at all..

had the fancy powerpoint presentation been working it may have been a bit better

i just wasnt feeling it

the voting should be more accessible in future

i think that would help a lot

...also it almost seemed like "the people who drink in the moorings awards"

i understand of course that its all a bit of fun

but i do feel there is potential for a proper awards ceremony for local bands

and if it was done really well it would be great fun

and 8! phhht!

:]

we (the little kicks) were very pleasantly surprised to hear we had won / tied the indie award with copy ha ho so thanks for voting for us, i love the ha ho so i do and i voted for em so big ups to them also!

had i not been djing in tunnels id have been in attendance and the rest of the kicks were out on fri so they were nursing hangovers and indisposed too, i feel bad for not supporting the fudge awards ( we were playing elsewhere last year and missed winning best indie then too) and i will make an effort to go to more fudge gigs in future. we played a gig for bri last week and hes a gentleman and a scholar.

if its any consolation, town was pretty dead on saturday i thought, i played accoustic to an empty drummonds at ten pm saturday (drummonds is never empty on a saturday!) and then DJed to a fairly quiet tunnels ( although got busy at 1am) so i would say the fudge guys shouldnt be too hard on themselves!

its nearly payday after all and everyones skint!

and im gutted i missed biz dj set!

but i hope that everyone there had a good time and thats the main thing, well done to the other bands particularly karrta and panda eyes

x

Vegas at the Forum was pretty busy after the awards.

I agree with some of the comments posted. It was pretty much the moorings award but then that's where fudge gigs are held now so it's understandable. But then it was pretty easy to swing the votes in one particular direction just by turning up with a few mates and all voting the same, but then it's always been the case. Maybe having voting slips in one-up and fopp would be an idea for the future.

I liked two thirds of the lineup. Personally I think Amplifico shouldn't have been anywhere near the place and should have been replaced by an out of towner that people may have actually heard of a la Aereogramme and Laeto of previous years.

Venhell were fucking superb and Eric Euan were good as well (not their best gig I thought, but I was still grinning through a lot of it) but I noticed that they didn't take their usual crowd with them. Perhaps this was because of the price, casual punters may have been put off.

The musical landscape has shifted again. Happens every few years and many that don't notice it happen tend to grump about this and that. Probably means that there are some young whipper snappers coming through that don't give two hoots about what us old farts are doing. Fair play I say...:up:

And for the record I am not suggesting that we old farts have nothing to contribute, far rom it, but it may be best to be aware that the era of, lets say Drake' for argument sake and I mean both of them, has been put to rest with new things happening instead.

Have you seen what the kids are wearing these days and what's with the toy guns many of them carry?

I think it's ace to see new fashion and music trends coming through and that anyone over 21's opinion being seen as redundant by the yoof!

J:love: :up: