aberdeen-music

FMA'07 - Most metal of Metal

The Ghost Of Fudge

*scratches head*

Spot the contradiction here.

Not really.

Our last EP was written, produced, recorded, engineered and mixed etc by ourselves - everything from Mic'ing up the guitar cabs and drums, to the home-made vocal both in Nick's bedroom, and then the artwork and the copying of CDRs.

If you could get more "DIY" than that i'd be interested to hear how, exactly.

Consequently, it was very well recieved and we ended up getting signed off the back of it - to a record company that gives us complete control of EVERYTHING, except with the added bonus of paying half our costs for us releasing a proper album and getting us international distribution (so you and Scorge can buy our CD from HMV or amazon.com when it comes out in the summer ;) )

Not really.

Our last EP was written, produced, recorded, engineered and mixed etc by ourselves - everything from Mic'ing up the guitar cabs and drums, to the home-made vocal both in Nick's bedroom, and then the artwork and the copying of CDRs.

If you could get more "DIY" than that i'd be interested to hear how, exactly.

Consequently, it was very well recieved and we ended up getting signed off the back of it - to a record company that gives us complete control of EVERYTHING, except with the added bonus of paying half our costs for us releasing a proper album and getting us international distribution (so you and Scorge can buy our CD from HMV or amazon.com when it comes out in the summer ;) )

Fucking sellout!!! ;)

I'm not buying it unless its on tape or self pressed vinyl with artwork on recycled cardboard inked in your own blood.

in fairness, his point stiill stands. if you had a DIY ethos, you wouldnt have a record deal. he didnt say anything about how you got it, simply said the sentence was a contradiction. which it was.

Well in that case, I think the term "DIY" (in the musical terms that you guys refer to) is relatively far removed from what I percieve to be the literal meaning of Do-it-yourself; considering one band can pay captain to Tom's to record them and be "DIY", yet another can do it all themselves for free and not be "DIY". The lines seem pretty blurred to me on that one...

No, you're right, you did record/distribute/do-things DIY; but theres a difference between doing it once and having "a DIY ethos".

That's all I'm geting at.

Fair enough, I certainly don't disagree with that - although even now we're signed we'll still be doing pretty much everything off our own backs (engineering our recordings/artwork/booking gigs etc). Yet as the DIY thing also refers to pushing down buttons on a photocopier/Cd burner and sending them out to places again and again and again, then I'm very glad to be out of the loop!

Dan, you do know the REAL battle for most metal of metal is quite simply the Powerball vs the VH4.

:D

A one-sided battle of course! :D

Having said that, they are both killer metal machines like you say - and anyone who has either model is clearly cooler than everyone else...

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Indeed, there's nothing wrong with any of that, it's the only way to go. Teabags has kinda pre-empted me here, and the guy worded it badly and it didn't make sense.

BUT: anyone who pays twelve hundred pounds for an ad in Kerrap! can in no way be said to have a "DIY ethos", more using it as a stepping-stone while there's no other option. There's now another option (i.e. getting offered a "record deal", which is a world apart from a wee label offering to put out one of your releases) so you bit their hand off for it.

Hell, good luck with it and all that, you'll need it when they start demanding you shift a certain amount of "units".

Who the fucking hell is this ragtag two-bit excuse for a record label that Mind My Weapon are with anyway? I haven't heard of them, and if they're signing that bunch of pompous precious shitebags, I'm probably lucky not to have done (EDIT: Just been pointed to their Cryspace page. Shitting nora, that's pish!).

I voted for E106, and I am still awaiting the cash-stuffed brown envelope for doing so......

Who the fucking hell is this ragtag two-bit excuse for a record label that Mind My Weapon are with anyway? I haven't heard of them, and if they're signing that bunch of pompous precious shitebags, I'm probably lucky not to have done (EDIT: Just been pointed to their Cryspace page. Shitting nora, that's pish!).

I voted for E106, and I am still awaiting the cash-stuffed brown envelope for doing so......

And you would also bitch and moan if you had heard of the label wouldn't you? Saying that we're corporate cock suckers and all the rest of it.

The label is a label that has a good name amongst the people who do know it and also from the other bands that have worked with it. We like thier ideas and attitude and they LOVE our band so it's a good match actually. The label has distrobution through Plastichead which is something that excites us greatly. The record will be available on shelves and to order from HMV's and Virgins all over the UK. It will be also available from Amazon, Play.com and lots of various other websites including HMV's site and the Virgin Megastore site. You'll also be able to get the album if you live in Europe and the USA as well.

The label is spllitting our costs for recording, paying in full for any advertising and in full for pressing and printing.

All this is pretty exciting for us and we don't give a fuck what people think about it. It's more than 99% of bands get offered and we are proud that the label approached us after keeping tabs on us for a little while. This is, again, something we are VERY proud of.

The main thing we like about the label is the fact that they would rather focus on a few bands rather than these other smaller label that have heaps of bands that you may have only heard of one or two of and the rest might as well not be on the roster. This is a damn good attitude and we are excited about recording our debut album and having two people like Dan and Justin from Sikth mixing the record and say they are "excited to be working with the band!"

Because of all this we are also getting our next UK tour booked by a booking agent as opposed to doing it ourselves.

We feel all of the above and other stuff this band has done is all stuff to be proud of. We have managed to do it without changing anything about this bands music or attitude towards people. We dont ass kiss and we don't suck cock...we just work hard at writing, playing and all the rest of it.

If you want to be proud of recording shitty quality music onto even shittier CDr's with equally shitty quality packaging, playing to the same 14 people in the same places for the rest of your musical life then go ahead. We have done enough of that and want to move this band on a bit so GET THE FUCK OVER IT!

If you console yourself with the thought of "well at least we aren't doing what MMW are doing" then you do that.

Isn't the DIY ethos about working hard? Have a think about how much you're actually doing with your ethos when we are leaving tonight at 6 o clock in our transit van to stay in Lancaster after 6 hours of driving to then leave there at 7am to drive to brighton for a show that nite then play Cheletenham the night after and then drive the length of the country home on the Sunday. Meanwhile Jake will be no doubt be in "fortress weep" AGAIN, laughing at the music, ogling at scene girls probably saying how much they need a "real man" all the while you're putting money over the bar helping keep the place open.

You're both pathetic and are really showing the rest of this "community" that you don't have any kind of point anymore...you're just bitter, twisted, poisnous little barnacles on society.

If you wish to discuss ANY of this in person then you know what I look like, I'd be glad to repeat it all right to your faces. And I REALLY hope you do!

i always know it's gonna be a good day when ben posts on fudgenet. good work sir!

fact! ben used to work opposite the old fudge flat - we used to watch him work as we sunbathed on the roof. so near that we could virtually spit on him :gringo:

anyway, back to the point: NONE OF THOSE IDIOTS is continuing to race away with the lead.....

Guest Jake Wifebeater
You're both pathetic and are really showing the rest of this "community" that you don't have any kind of point anymore...you're just bitter, twisted, poisnous little barnacles on society. QUOTE]

Oh dear, he's STILL trying to play the jealousy card. Rinky, I'll keep this as simple as I possibly can because I've seen the type of music magazines people like you read. If we were jealous in any way, it would be because you're doing something that we would like to do ourselves. Wrong, I wouldn't swap places with you for anything, not even twelve hundred pounds. So, forget the jealousy angle, you've got nothing I want or need. Then again, it's more comforting to think it's jealousy-motivated, rather than people seeing through you for what you really are.